Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

a brand new puppy
Closed Thread
Old 04 Oct 2006, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default a brand new puppy

I'm thinkin of starting a Space Wolf army. I like the idea of being so badass that I will lie to protect my battle brothers like 13th Company and I am willing to fight the Inquisition.

After I buy the Codex, where should I go from here?

Also, what are some of your experiences with the Space Wolves?

Edit:

Sorry if I was unclear, what I meant was; how do they behave on the table and how are they tactically and fluff wise? What's there relationship with the rest of the imperium?

Thanks.

(Edited your post, please read this - Stam)
Old 04 Oct 2006, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: a brand new puppy

I'm not sure if I understand the question. What's to say? You know what army you want to collect and you're going to get the codex, the next step would be to fulfill the Force Organisation requirements for a standard battle (ie. two troops and an HQ). Are you asking us about the strengths and weaknesses of the 13th coy? Or are you looking for advice in fluff terms?

If it is the latter you seek, then I suggest you rethink the idea of fighting the Inquisition head-on. You don't upset an organisation that regularly exterminates entire civilisations and disintegrates planets, often on the basis of flimsy evidence. The might of the inquisition far exceeds that of any single Space Marine chapter because, you have to remember, the Inquisition is certainly not limited to its own forces. An inquisitor can call upon the collective strength of entire Imperial Guard regiments, Space Marine Chapters (not least the Grey Knights) and the unfathomable might of the Imperial Navy. The Imperium will spare no expense to stamp out the taint of chaos wherever it may be perceived.

I know you want to make a truly elite chapter that fears nothing, and the 13th company is certainly that, but discretion is the better part of valour as they say...as magnificent as a fighting force may be, they'd be foolhardy indeed to believe they could handle the innumerable enemies of the Imperium and the persecution of the very galaxy-spanning organisation that they fight to defend.

Do as the 13th company always have; disappear without trace, strike without warning and fight without mercy.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 21:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ferrox

Hey and welcome.

Based on my experiences of SW's Ive written a small guide from what I know, but this is based on a CC PoV.

Wolf Lord :

Standard leader for the Wolves, can be useful for forward combat or in performing a flanking tactic with the aid of Blood Claws. Equipped with the wolf-tooth necklace he can be made into an effective CC unit for a cheap cost.

He also comes with whats called True Grit, this allows you to replace his bolt pistol with a bolter paired with a CC weapon...This ability is free and allows you to pop off a few decent shots before entering combat.

Wolf Guard Battle Leader :

I'm afraid I cant comment on this unit because Ive never used one.

Rune Priest :

Rune Priests are useful if you have little terrain in play, they carry the psychic storm ability that confers a 5+ cover save on any unit within 12" of the model, this can be good when put into a BC squad and they have to run into the open and the power has already been cast.

Can again be used in the same way as a Wolf Lord but with the aided ability of a cover save in the open.

Wolf Priest :

These units come armed with a power weapon and Iron Wolf Amulet, in my uses i often send these forward after having the wolf tooth necklace upgrade added, they make nice killing units if put into a BC squad.

Ive not really had to use these fellas but when i have they have defiantly gained their points worth.

Venerable Dread :

My favourite SW unit, the VD. Often used as a tank hunter in most armies this beast of a machine has rules that makes it something everyone should have.

It has 3 rules related to it, in short these are...re-roll first turn priority, re-roll pen, glance hit charts, and can be taken as either a HQ or Elites choice, I prefer the elites choice myself as i Equip mine with a power claw and assault cannon and use it to flank or advance with either Grey hunters or BC units.

Wolf Guard :

Funny units these, allows the combined use of power armour and termy armour in the same squad, I use these fellas to secure a flank if I make an advance with another, also having the ability to choose what armour save you use for the squad adds to the goodness of the squad, admittedly it is expensive point wise but they seem to save my bacon on many occasions.

sometimes its useful to place them into a drop pod and keep them as reserves unit a flank begins to fall because they arnt the most mobile units of the SW's.

Grey Hunters :

These are the foremost warriors of the SW's, able to equip themselves with either a bolt gun, or a CC weapon and gun they can become universal squads. Also given the ability to select a set amount of weapons into the squad you can use the hidden powerfist tactic displayed often around these boards.

I use these to reinforce my units as they charge forward and to offer fire support, Should the chance arise I can send them to remove enemy armour should my other units be busy fighting.

Blood Claws :

My favourite combat unit, up to 15 of them in one 'Pack', they make good combat units when equipped correctly but suffer from a lowered WS. Useful in everyway to me and they really make their points for me in the A-T role, naturally I loose alot of them but they get the job done nicely.

Long Fangs :

Keep em back, and shoot. Equip them anyway you please but they will prove very useful in your army, with the ability to pick 2 targets per turn they really can put the wind up your enemy.

I often use these to secure an advance, flank or an A-T maneuver. Expensive..ish pointwise but they are worth it.

This is a pretty cack guide but Ive not been using SW's that long, but I thought it might help considering hes from the same point as me, this guide was written based on my opinions and views, I would've added facts but I'm not as good as Mal or other vets of this game.

Anyway, hope it helps in some form.

Good luck with SW's.

Fer.

(+1 Karma for helping out - Stam)

1st Karma 4:07:51 AM

[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=43531.0]

Old 05 Oct 2006, 03:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've always had a healthy respect for grey hunters. These guys have the potential to stand on a piece of cover, rapid fire people and then say "Come and get me" afterwards. First you get to hose them down with bolter fire, then if they try to charge you get to strike first with an extra attack. Oh and you get to use your nifty counter-attack ability to bring everyone into contact for a good old fashioned slug fest
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 05 Oct 2006, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just a few thoughts to chew on ... I'm not going to write a tactica, lol.

Let Attack Bikes w/ multi-meltas and Landspeeders handle
heavy armour. They're cheap, highly mobile, and they deploy
last so you can generally get them where they need to be
to do their job.

Another alternative is Blood Claws. Take a large unit of Blood
Claws with a Wolf Guard let by a Rune Priest in a Land
Raider Crusader. They can roll forward and pop smoke on
turn one. On turn 2 it can roll forward again and loose
an assault unit into the heart of the enemy. Support this
advance with several Grey Hunter squads in Razorbacks
(for heavy weapon support) or Rhinos. These should give you
enough firepower to cover the Blood Claws or soften up their
target if you are planning to assaut a really dangerous unit.

You need scouts with a Wolf Guard. Give them a power weapon or
two and a melta gun and melta bombs and use them to wreak
havoc in your opponent's deployment zone. They are quite
effective and the fear they can induce in your opponent can
be crippling, especially if he starts diverting units away
from his front line simply to try and cope with the Scouts.
Force your opponents deployment with them.

Grey Hunters in rhinos or rhazorbacks are a great unit. They are a little
pricier than codex tacticals but you get more power weapons
and a whole host of other goodies for the price. Run them with
a meltagun, power fist, and power weapon. No one is likely to
be quick about charging these guys. Drop pods also work well
with these guys. Roll up, hop out, shoot the crap out of
something.

With the introduction of drop pods in 4th, you now have the
additonal ability to drop whever you want on the field. This
can be a great help to firepower units like Grey Hunters or
terminators. Although termies might be a little expensive for
a 1500 point list. You can also drop a Ven. Dread with an
Assault Cannon. This guy can make a real mess. Drop pods are
frequently used now instead of razorbacks and rhinos.

Vindicators can be used to distract the enemy from the
otherwise vulnerable transports.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 14:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I did some more asking around and research and managed to make a part 2 for Him based on what I didn't include in my last post.

Wolf Scouts :

Bebe's tactic is a wise one for scouts, load em up with power weapons and high strength then Inf them and have a turkey shoot out, add a few sniper rifles, or CC weapons and have a ball, I haven't used these guys before but people tell me they are just plain good fun to use and can easily hold their own if equipped right and the tactic they are used for suits their intended role.

Iron Priest :

These guys are in a sense just techmarines...thats it, they fix vehicles and can beat people up in CC with their power arm. Not alto to write on them in my view but others may know more than I do.

Blood Claws Bike Squad :

These hot headed little boogers are apparently a lovely use for A-T, if you equip them right, give them power weapons of fists, a melta or 2 and your set to role, with a bumped up T5 it'll take alot to insta kill them and they receive +2 attacks on the charge...ooh the fun! I will be getting some and they will be used souly for A-T until there isn't any, after that its right onto the men!

Leman Russ Exterminator :

Lovely lovely Russ! fabulous for the A-I as well as being anti-light armour, armed with twin linked auto cannons this is the perfect tank to aid a BC charge or to quickly assist bikes or scouts, Very manoverable and they can skim from one side to another, Also armed with track guards, heavy stubber and heavy bolter's it is able to withstand punishment and also dish it out...it can be up to 16 shots per turn of pure mayhem, great for your BC, bad for them. Easily able to hold a flank by itself if not aided with a few marines.

There we go, Useful or not its only here to help him gain a bit of understanding.

Good Luck.

Fer

Old 05 Oct 2006, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
eman Russ Exterminator :
Lovely lovely Russ! fabulous for the A-I as well as being anti-light armour, armed with twin linked auto cannons this is the perfect tank to aid a BC charge or to quickly assist bikes or scouts
At 180 points for a unit that is used as anti-troop, you might want to rethink using it. On paper it seems nice but bloodclaws and grey hunters are enough anti-troop to my mind. It's not a tank I personally would take.

Quote:
Blood Claws Bike Squad :

These hot headed little boogers are apparently a lovely use for A-T, if you equip them right, give them power weapons of fists, a melta or 2 and your set to roll
Blood Claw bikers are ferocious but again it depends on your list as these guys are quite expensive. Are they better then taking speeders or attack bikes at the cost? In fact many verteran players will swear by using only grey hunters, scouts and dreads in their lists. Try them out though. It is cheaper then a LR and Blood Claw squad althoiugh you get a lot more firepower with the LR.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 15:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Im not going to agree or disagree, I personally have never used them I just had to base it on other peoples opinions who are 'local' to me, Others will think different but id be more than willing to test the theories myself.

Old 05 Oct 2006, 16:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

bear in mind, 13th co are now an illegal army. they're in a "supplement codex", just like Armageddon, and as far as GW is concerned, at things like GTs, Conflicts etc they're illegal as they're not a proper codex.

Which sucks as i have a 13th co combat patrol that is quite funny.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 05 Oct 2006, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Illegal or not, if your opponent is happy to let you field it then you've got no problem...if not, then he's got no opponent. And I'm sure you can find a tournement or two that welcomes 'concept' armys.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread