Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What makes a good homemade Chapter?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Oct 2006, 08:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Cheeko89
Default What makes a good homemade Chapter?

Making your own chapter can be a very hard job! If you doing all the fluff etc.
Well my question is;

What to you makes a good homemade Chapter?
Old 04 Oct 2006, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: What makes a good homemade Chapter?

Hello,
I am doing a homemade chapter too ;D
and for me I think that you should let your imagination run and enjoy. Try to stay focused in the universe of WH40K.
If you have got free time, you can write a sketch of the history of the chapter and even draw a picture of the most relevant characters of the chapters, try even to adapt the minis to represent this; or do it in the inverse way, adapt the character to the mini you have.
In my example, my Lord of the chapter will carry a Lance/halberd because the chapter name is "The Praetorian" and I thought it could be cool that the lord and more importart person of the chapter carry this ancestral weapon to battle the emperor's enemies.
I hope this could help you.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Abaddon the despoiler

well you need a home world fist haahaahaahhhai will give you the eye of terror if you give mr terra ok.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 19:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

my suggestion is to find an chapter you like.
then remove the trait you like least.
then add one trait you like better. then simply
add fluff on how they came to be.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 20:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What makes a good home-made chapter? Well-thought-out fluff and a good paint scheme.

Take Tiger Raja's (I don't believe he's on this board) Tigers of Veda. They've got interesting fluff and a stunning paint scheme (tiger stripes).

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 05 Oct 2006, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Remember, the traits were made so that you could create armies that matched their fluff, not creating some uber-powerful death legion who's fluff consists of "They have a LOT of assault cannons"

So think about your fluff and pick traits to match it. Picking a trait "because it's fun to use" isn't a bad reason either though. Just try not to pick ALL of your traits first and then make up fluff for that combination as this tends to lead to the type of chapter I mentioned ealier.

Oh and unless it REALLY fits your fluff, try to avoid "freebie" traits like "We Stand Alone"
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 05 Oct 2006, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

You actually dont need a homeworld but you need main worlds for your chapter where you train and recruit more members. You also need

Doctrines
Color Scheme
Symbol
Good Background Fluff
Old 05 Oct 2006, 08:17   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Cheeko89

What is a Doctrines again ???
Old 05 Oct 2006, 13:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Best way to do it, in my experience, is to see the bigger picture first, then start filling in more and more details.

For example, you could start with the political situation in the sector or sub-sector the chapter has its homeworld.. In what segmentum is it located? How strong is the Imperium in that region? How powerful is (sub) Sector Command (both guard and navy)? What hold do the Administratum, Mechanicus and Munitorium have over it? How do the Astartes fit into the power balance? etc.

The work down. Decide on your homeworld; What are the neighbouring planets? What contact does it have with them? What kind of people live on your homeworld? What contact do they have with the Astartes?

Then start working on the Chapter itself. Who's its primarch? What kind of combat traditions would it have? (you won't find, say, a chapter that recruits from feral worlds only but relies on long range shooting) Who came up with the Chapter colourscheme and heraldry? When was it founded? Why was it founded? What is the strength of its fleet? Does it adhere to the Codex Astartes? How are its pacts with the Mechanicus holding up?

Then the Chapter's achievements. What great battles did it take part in? Who are its most decorated heroes? Who are the chapter master, the chief librarian and chaplain, the company captains, etc., and what did they do to get that rank? Who are the most decorated troopers that are still alive today? What crusades/wars is it currently involved in?

And then you can decide on who are actually in the army you are fielding. Remember, fluff stretches beyond the table top... Not only do all the models on the table have a background, they are also part of a whole that has a lot more background that you'll never be able to field on the table.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 23:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

one other thing dont be afraid to let some of your personality seep into the chapter try giving the chapter some of the traits that you find in youself like pateince or lack there of.

Also i really support space marine homemade chapters as they provide soooooo much freedom!

GOOD LUCK!!!