Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Traits
Old 03 Oct 2006, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Chaos Traits

Well I've came up with a strange idea and don't even know if it's possible but I'm going to make a space marine traitor chapter.

Now I know what most of you will say use Chaos Space Marines, No.

Space Marines get so much more and I've been dying to convert a chaos lands speeder for ages.

So what trait's do you think I should use?
Old 03 Oct 2006, 16:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Chaos Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclet the Insane
Well I've came up with a strange idea and don't even know if it's possible but I'm going to make a space marine traitor chapter.
It is possible, somehow. But usually people make them as tainted as possible. I say it would be fun to use non-chaos rules upon them.

Quote:
Now I know what most of you will say use Chaos Space Marines, No.
I won't say that. I say if you like the look of the space marines more then the chaos ones, and like the fluff of chaos instead of imperium........go for it.

Quote:
Space Marines get so much more and I've been dying to convert a chaos lands speeder for ages.
Well, this one i have to say not exactly. However, I like the concept of a chaos land speeder.

Quote:
So what trait's do you think I should use?
this one depends on what you want to use the army for? Assault? Shooting? or a mix of both worlds?

in addition, the fluff of the army also plays a vital role to enable the right traits be chosen for your army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

Traitor chapters are great, I happen to use one myself (well, my traitors are in league with a radical Xanthite Inquisitor... so became traitors, heh). As for what traits to use, you should just use whatever you like. But if you're going for something cult oriented, or legion oriented, there are things you can use.

Example:

Honour Your Wargear - Now you can take Elite Devs, to free up Heavy Support slots, and make a traitor group similar to Iron Warriors.

Blessed be the Warriors - Want a fast moving Assault marine based force as elites? They could be similar to the World Eaters.

Be Swift as the Wind - You could use this to make something similar to a Night Lord bike force.

See, but Don't be Seen - Want something reminiscent of Alpha Legion? This could work.

You can combine things too of course. If you want a very elite army, you could combine Trust your Battle Bros with Cleanse and Purify for something very similar to what the Death Guard is in Chaos. Get the idea?

It's a very rewarding way to play `Chaos' in a way, since yes, we get Land Speeders (weeee!) and Whirlwinds and other yummy cheap support vehicles that Chaos lacks.

Cheers!
Old 03 Oct 2006, 16:53   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

As mal say, you can do all those stuff to make your army work like chaos, but not chaosy at the same time too.

However if you like daemons, say goodbye as there are no demons in SM. But why need demons while you have hard, kicking marines?

No daemon prince, no daemonic gifts and such as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've long yearned for some of the advantages offered by chaos, like 'Living Hull' for example. Maybe a heretic's heart beats within me? I had considered making a chaos army to look like a loyalist chapter, just to I could take advantage of these things (I may yet still do that). I'm surprised you want to go the other way though, are chaos so lacking or is it just for the conversion opportunities?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 17:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I've long yearned for some of the advantages offered by chaos, like 'Living Hull' for example. Maybe a heretic's heart beats within me? I had considered making a chaos army to look like a loyalist chapter, just to I could take advantage of these things (I may yet still do that). I'm surprised you want to go the other way though, are chaos so lacking or is it just for the conversion opportunities?
Heya,

Lots of people do what are now Chaos chapters with the Space Marines. The most popular, being an Iron Warriors Space Marine army (prior to mutation). And the Marine list can do this very well, better than Chaos. Shooty in marines is Shooty. The only thing Iron Warriors have in Chaos that make them attractive there are Obliterators, but I'll take Devs over Oblits any day for the cost.

Anyhow, it's just a fun way to do a Chaos force without playing Chaos. You could use the two codices side by side with the same models and play two different armies. That's the attraction. Chaos can play very much like Marines, and likewise vise verse.

The thing is, Chaos is better at doing the `all infantry' approach. The cheap mass supply of Vet skills and the natural access to doubled up special weapons, and their superior combat upgrades make them better for this. The Space Marines offer a better mechanized, or at least, armored support kind of army. Chaos lacks cheap armor that is effective. Our dreadnoughts are Heavy, our Tanks are limited to the predator really, otherwise, it's just the big clunky Defiler and the massive Land Raider. We don't have Land Speeders, or attack bikes, or Big access to venerable dreadnoughts and no wonderfully cheap whirlwinds. So, a shooty Chaos force based on Tanks is much more doable in the Space Marine list.

The only thing that is `infantry' based that Space Marines do better than Chaos, is the `all bike' army and the `all assault marine' army. But when it comes to just straight up Marines on foot, Chaos has the keys. Marines, they have the cool tanks that we don't have in our codex (but they exist in the fluff, death guard land speeders for example).

... So for example, my Land Speeders are very `Iron Warriors' but with a little Inquisition mix, as they work together, and are excommunicatus. It's just fun

Cheers!