Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic heavy)
Closed Thread
Old 01 Oct 2006, 22:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic heavy)

Well, here's my first battle report.* The pics looked great on the camera, but they've come out badly here...lets hope I can do better next time.* In a couple weeks, weather permitting, I hope to either take the games table outside or play in a games workshop store.*

Having read a few battle reports and knowing what I liked to see, I've decided to do this one in a pictorial format, with captions in place of a full-length commentary.

Anyway...the battle report:

[hr]

[size=18pt]Unjustly accused[/size]

* * * The jungle swayed gently in the afternoon breeze and the sun was starting its decent towards the horizon.* Hallius V was a rich and fertile jungle world teeming with indigenous creatures, great and small.* Despite its stunning landscape, temperate climate and rich natural resources, it was a world hostile to life, and all that lived below its jade canopy or atop its mountainous peaks had earned the right to do so.* No one knew why the servants of Chaos had come, only that they must be made to leave.* Though it had no value, it was still the Emperor’s world, and Space Marines of the Imperial Fists had come to reclaim it.* Revered Brother Barrin was one such Space Marine.* By rights he should have died over six hundred years ago by the hand of an Eldar Farseer, but by the Emperor’s divine providence he served mankind still; entombed within the sarcophagus of a Dreadnought.* The battle was long over now and though he had held firm long enough for the counter-attack to arrive, he had been struck a mortal blow.* He lay now in smoking ruin, surrounded by his brothers in the clearing in which he had fallen, the last flicker of life within his armoured heart grew dim.
* * * “Hold on brother.* Tech-adept Lucius will be here soon,” Brother-Sergeant Grigg stood beside his ruined form, stretching out one hand to his sarcophagus “You have served the Emperor well, but you’re not dying here.* Not today.”
* * * Though the forces of chaos had been routed, their troubles were far from over.* Something dark was afoot and Captain McGanner’s Imperial Fist detachment had been caught up in it.* An Inquisitor had uncovered an active summoning portal on Hallius V and had dispatched the Ordo Malleus to destroy it along with anyone that had been within its proximity.* That included two mining settlements, a minor space port and one detachment of Imperial Fists.* Brother-Sergeant Danna’s heart sank as a blurry flash of silver caught his eye.* The Grey Knights were here.*
* * * The prospect of fighting his brother marines, loyal servants of the Emperor, made him feel physically sick.* The Grey Knights couldn’t risk any possibility of the taint of chaos lingering among the detachment; it could potentially corrupt the entire chapter.* In his heart, Danna knew that he and his brothers remained pure, but they wouldn’t simply lie down and accept extermination, nor could they abandon the crippled brother Barrin.* They would make their stand here.* Reinforcements were coming…

[size=8pt]As the sun sinks low on the horizon, dipping below the treeline, an illumination round lights up the clearing with an eerie glow[/size]

[size=8pt]The first of the Grey Knights emerge, revered brother Danakin stomping into view, flexing his mechanical claw[/size]

[size=8pt]Lurking in the shadows, a deadly Vindicare assassin observes his first target[/size]

[size=8pt]Spotting incoming Grey Knights approaching from the north-east, brother Halar readies his missile launcher.* Meanwhile, brother Typhon blasts the incoming Inqusitor's retinue with a Demolisher cannon shell[/size]

[size=8pt]End of turn one[/size]

[hr]

[size=8pt]Confronted by revered brother Danakin, Typhon orders his driver to reverse and hastily blasts another Demolisher shell past the marauding Dreadnought to further batter the beleaguered Inquisitor[/size]

[size=8pt]Brother Remus of 'Two Bravo' calmly picks off an approaching Grey Knight with his bolter as his squad's cover disintegrates around them.[/size]

[size=8pt]Imperial Fist reinforcements arrive to help hold off the encroaching Grey Knights[/size]

[size=8pt]End of turn two[/size]

[hr]

[size=8pt]Concentrated fire from Danakin's assault cannon detonates a demolisher cannon shell in the breach, destroying the vehicle from within[/size]

[size=8pt]Revered brother Vorn of the Imperial Fists arrives in time to spot Grey Knight Terminators teleporting in on the west flank, and moves to engage[/size]

[size=8pt]Steiner's 'Vampires' leap into battle, to attack the seemingly unstoppable Grey Knight Dreadnought as the Fists desperately battle to hold the line, ever persecuted by the hidden sniper whittling away their numbers[/size]

[size=8pt]End of turn four[/size]

[hr]

[size=8pt]Things get ugly for the Imperial Fists as Captain McGanner's squad is wiped out, leaving him to singlehandedly battle eight Grey Knights.* Meanwhile, the legendary Torquemeda Coteaz wades into battle and slays six of the Space Marine assault troops with a single mighty blow from his anointed Daemonhammer[/size]

[size=8pt]On the west flank, a Predator arrives to aide what little remains of the Imperial Fist task force.* While, on the east flank, Vorn is finally overwhelmed by the Grey Knight Terminators[/size]

[size=8pt]End of turn five[/size]

[hr]

[size=8pt]
A particularly tenacious Grey Knight Justicar attempts to force his way into an Imperial Fists Rhino[/size]

[size=8pt]The unstoppable brother Danakin levels his assault cannon with the approching Predator[/size]

[size=8pt]End of turn six[/size]

[hr]

So there we have it; defeat at the hands of the Grey Knights, although the Fists were able to hold on for far longer than either of us had expected.* Had the Predator arrived a little sooner, or had Danakin not been so damned lucky as to have shaken off a total of 18 meltabomb attacks with nothing more than a 'stunned' result, it could have been a very different story.

Special mention goes to brother Remus of 'Two Bravo' for his sterling marksmanship before being ruthlessly slain by a Vinicare turbo-penetrator round in a savage act of retribution.*

The 'man'-of-the-match award goes to revered brother Danikin who made a fabulous debut and, by sheer stubborn tenacity and bloody-mindedness, simply refused to die and won the battle for the Grey Knights by being the last remaining scoring unit within 12" of the objective.* If you've never seen a Dreadnought pull its weight...you have now.*
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 00:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic he

You'd think you were taking these pictures for a codex the way you label them, nice work though...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 02 Oct 2006, 00:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative
Default Re: Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic heavy)

Very good work here, Tom!

I loved the report. You had a good ammount of pictures, a excelent explanation, and background information. I usually have to force myself to sit through a battle report and read but yours was so good it made me want to read more.

So yea, excelent work! I look forward to seeing future battle reports from you.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 02 Oct 2006, 00:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic he

Nice narrative and pictures, but I'd be interested in a more detailed play-by-play.

Next time, pick a scenario where they don't start so close to you. :P

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 02 Oct 2006, 01:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Battle report - Imperial Fists vs Daemonhunters - "Unjustly accused" (pic heavy)

Yeah, normally we do standard missions and start on opposite sides of the table, but we fancied a 'special' mission for a change and he asked me to play the defender. In 'hold at all costs' the defender starts on top of the objective, but seeing as it is in the middile of the table, that doesn't count for much when only half of his force gets to deploy. The attacker gets the first turn and moves on from his table edge, meaning he can attack from wherever the defender is weakest. The defender also has some extra restrictions on the force organisation chart.

By rights, I could have started with my Predator defending the objective too, but I thought it'd be more fluffy to deploy from reserve like the cavalry...unfortunately, the cavalry didn't save the day this time. :-\

So you would actually prefer a narrative of the battle then? How so? Written creatively, or more of a clinical step by step account of dice rolls and what have you?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I respect you for trying something new with the narrative, but it doesn't do it for me... the second one sounds better to me...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 02 Oct 2006, 01:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

While a narrative of the battle (i.e. your story) is enjoyable, it's not exactly what I think of when I think of a battle report. Sort of mixing fluff into the rules, y'know?

Basically, a clinical step-by-step (minus dice rolls - that's just getting tedious) of what happened each turn (i.e. the GK advanced, the vindicare picked off a missile launcher guy, IF turn now). That is the text-book definition of a bat rep, IMHO. The fluff/narrative adds a lot of character, though. So, you would have your pictures and a couple lines of your italicized text, then normal text of what happened.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 02 Oct 2006, 02:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I actually thought Tom's bat rep was great, he approached it in a similar fashion to the "short" reports in WD (using allot of great pictures to show us what was happening). It didn't take me 20 minutes to sift through but left me with a clear picture of what was happening... maybe in the future you could add a turn by turn body count (which is all this batrep is really missing)?

Two thumbs up and honestly not the outcome I had expected... I took a serious beating almost every time I fielded GKs as the bulk of my force. Deployment for this mission really swung things in your friends favor. He chose the edge that placed him within range for a turn 2 assault, even though he was left chewing demolisher rounds, for a reason

What in your opinion went wrong, aside from the assault marines bringing firecrackers instead of melta bombs?
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 02 Oct 2006, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tom,

I thoroughly enjoyed your report. Maybe it's the Boreal talking, or not. But I enjoyed it. I had hoped for more play by play action, but the pictures told the in-between just fine. Great job putting it together and the pictures as great; regardless. Without a flash, it doesn't matter--they look best this way. A flash would have been like a contrast city.

Anyhow, excellence. Karma for the report.

My only "awe" will be this part:

Quote:
meanwhile, the legendary Torquemeda Coteaz wades into battle and slays six of the Space Marine assault troops with a single mighty blow from his anointed Daemonhammer
The only way this could have happens, is if Coteaz charged, got his bonus attack, and literally hit all 6 attacks on a 3+ and then got every single wound on a 2+. That's pretty amazing. Even for Coteaz (re-rolls permitting, still awesome). The odds of this, are very, very low as to have happening. That's why it's pretty amazing

I admit I'm glad to hear of a Daemonhunter win; for obvious reason. But I'm glad you guys had a great a battle.

Can't wait to hear the next

Cheers!
Old 02 Oct 2006, 09:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great battle report Tom!

I really enjoyed seeing the battle unfold, those pictures really make the report feel ''real''.
I was also suprised by the outcome, seems like no-one can escape the wrath of the Inquisition.

The report was nicely written and was pretty enjoyable. The only thing that you could add is a Army list for both the armies and maybe expand the happenings per turn. But I think you have done a good job on this report.

Now make sure the next time you show why nobody messes with the Imperial Fists...

Closed Thread