Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marines Vs Ulthwe?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Sep 2006, 10:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Marines Vs Ulthwe?

How do I go about defeating an Ulthwe strike force?

I'm taking a librarian, a whirlwind with the mines and lot's and lots of bolters.

No psychic powers, mines fields ove wraithgates and no armour saves from guardiens

What else can I do?

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 12:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Marines Vs Ulthwe?

What you can do is provide use with an complete army list and maybe also the army list of your Ulthwe opponent . So how many Bolter's do you precisely have? How many points are you going to game with? We need Intel on the Xenos strength.

This way we can better help your Battle-Brothers on defeating the foul witches.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

I currently have the MkII battle force. a whirlwind and a chaplian. I have a Librarian somewhere from my last army. (I'm want to use my newer force that I haven't finished painting yet). He will most likely have 4-5 guardian squads, a unit of dark reapers, howling banshees and one soild seer council.

I know I need more troops but I'll be getting a large sum of cash this week end.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't count on being able to nerf his psykers with the Psychic Hood - the Librarian will become a prime target, and in any case both he and the Farseer have Ld10, so you only have a hit-and-miss chance.

Using the Castellan to block Wraithgates is both pure tactical genius, and pure, bloody evil. I'd be tempted to "Orbital Drop" an anvil on your Whirlwind >.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 16:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're feeling adventurous, then nothing scares the pants off aspect warriors like a Land Raider Prometheus. Its four twin-linked heavy bolters make a mockery of aspect armour, and the storm bolter just adds insult to injury...lots and lots of injury.

The conversion kit doesn't cost much at all (16 if I recall correctly), and although the model is costly to field (not least because of its command squad prerequisite), it looks damned cool and cuts a bloody swathe through infantry like nothing you've ever seen. A Crusader is an alternative if you want to sidestep any potential "Forge World tantrums", but I've no experience with them so I'm not really qualified to comment beyond statistical potential and probability. If you go with any Land Raider varient though, be wary of bright lances.

I don't know how Ulthwe fights, but I've some experience against Alaitoc and I find their rangers (and Pathfinders) to be a constant nuisance. If the whirlwind can't mop them up, send in an assault squad with flamers.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 14:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

blocking the gates with castellans is pure genius. I have some experience with Ulthwe so just be warned that if the model holding the gate is killed the gate is automatically opened. This often means one of two things

1. he will send a cheap and fast model forward and hope you kill it just so he gets a gate open right in front of your army

2. He will put the gate in a farseer squad and suddenly this already powerful squad will be surrounded with his army

also always remember he can roll the reserves rolls for units before any gates are opened. THis allows your opponent to have his ENTIRE ARMY come out of a gate when it opens. Ulthwe can be extremely devestating when used right. They are sort of a hit or miss army though. Make sure you anticipate were the gate will open and cover the area with fire arcs from dev squads, predators, or lascannon dreadnoughts.