Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Keys to having a cool looking space marine.
Closed Thread
Old 24 Sep 2006, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Keys to having a cool looking space marine.

OK, so lately i converted one of the best models I have ever done (people at my shop were going crazy about it). It was a Space Marine chapter master. It was doing battle with a Tau stealth suit (which i again converted to fit the moment). It was one of the most perfect models. Today I will be telling the key points of how to make a model (sorry no pictures, i don't have a good digital camera yet).

If you're like me, always trying to improve your models, then you should read this.
I've been converting for a while and Ive come up with with a few ways to highten the look. (Note: I used a big base for mine)

1. To make marines more advanced put them in action. Have other things in battle with him. In mine i have a tau.
2. Have more height in your marines. Make them jumping or standing on something to have them really pop-out.
3. I like to have him holding a sword up high attacking the nearest enemy, but a different computer always works.
4. I add dead bodies or severed heads showing that the model killed more than what you think. Or you could have him as a fresh-out-on-the-field guy (no kills yet).
5. I like to have my character maybe wounded and/or bleeding, it means he's taken a hit.
6. A shield always looks heroic. So i have a storm shield attached to him.

Painting

1. Shining Gold always looks good on a model.
2. Usually Skull White works wonders with a captain's/chapter master's cape.
3. Boltgun Metal looks good for shoulder plates but chainmail or mithril silver looks awesome.
4. If you have a helmet The classic Blood Red looks well for the lenses, but i usually change the color to Regal blue.
5. Power Swords look good by first base coating the sword with boltgun metal then highlighting with chainmail. Finally you should mix a little bit of Mithril Silver with regal blue and drybrush it on the sword.

Basing:
I go with sand, but any kind of basing material will work.
I think snow could make the model if you could splash some red on the snow.
Some! not too much.
Splash some shadow grey too for tau blood.
Sand is pretty mutual.
I'm not sure about grass or flock

Remember: these things are entirely suggestive, and i am not saying you HAVE to do this... Except that time i said have........ :P

I hope this stuff may help ;D 8)

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 24 Sep 2006, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Keys to having a cool looking space marine.

Good of you to post up tips that have worked for you so other people will benefit.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmm...I have one thing to dispute, and one thing to add.

You seem pretty thrilled with using lots of shiny metal. I find that some of the best work I've seen used little or no metalic paint, and what was used was rather dull, like boltgun metal. I'm not talking about the NMM technique, but glistening precious metal surfaces look...well, fake, on most models. I guess it's partly because you think of a battlefield as a dirty environment, where even chrome would not shine very long, and partly because real men don't wear gold?

Other than that, you had some good ideas.

What I'd like to add is that neatness counts. The best thought out color scheme and the most heroic pose looks horrible on even the most carnage-riddled base if the painting is sloppy. On the other hand, even a normal model with no bells and whistles looks sharp when the paint job is flawlessly applied.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 29 Sep 2006, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oops i actually forgot the basing part...
The paint job I just a few days ago changed cause i did see there was a little too much metallics. I down graded a little bit to skull white, scab red, shining gold, chaos black, and a little bit of mith silver

(I'll add the basing part to the post)

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 29 Sep 2006, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss

Yeah, neatness looks really neat :P
Can't wait to see this marine of yours. Post it up as soon as possible!
Closed Thread