Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Classic Models, Time to Update (some pics too)
Closed Thread
Old 24 Sep 2006, 18:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Classic Models, Time to Update (some pics too)

Remarkably a friend in my dorm used to play marines and he used to play them quite some time ago. He brought just some of his models. What he brought me was the following:

11 Terminators all on the old 20mm bases, 2 sergeants, 2 heavy flamers and 1 cyclone missil launcher
5 Devastators, lascannon, missil launcher, plasma cannon, heavy bolter and sergeant
6 Scouts all with sniper rifles
Land Raider
Dreadnaught with all 4 main weapon options
Space Marine Bike
Space Marine Attack Bike with Multi Melta
The Old Tigurius Model
Culexus Assassin
Eversor Assassin
Calidus Assassin
Vindicare Assassin

3rd Edition Codex Space Marines
Codex Assassins (Yes I was amazed to see this too)

The question now is how to go about making this group of models an effective fighting force. For starters Im not sure if I can order the proper bases (40mm) that terminators are meant to be on, the Dreadnaught is also in need of a base. I could use some advice on how to paint them cause Ill need to strip them down some, spray a black spray coat (the previous had been white) and paint them up fresh. So any ideas on how to fix up this motley collection of models from the stone age of 40k?

Now for those of you who havent seen the older stuff Ill show ya:

Not a great pic but if you look closely you can see an old tac marine equipment and close combat sprues with a very old looking power fist, funky lookin old bolters and some kinds of power weapons we dont see anymore.

Again a rather bad pic but this is the codex assassins. Never had I thought to own it.

Old Terminators. Plastic most of them are but deffinetly not those new plastics and old small bases too which will have to be changed.

A pic of all the stuff so far brought and there is apparently quite a bit more.

So once again Ill ask if anyone has some good ideas on what I should do with all this.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Classic Models, Time to Update (some pics too)

Well you can get the bases you need from Battlewagon bitz (as much as I despise them for ripping people off with their assault cannon prices), or you can pick up a big bag of 40mm bases from GW direct if I recall correctly. Not sure if GW do the dreadnought bases seperately though (although Forge World do).

Looks like you've got the basis for a 1st company army to me; chapter of your choice *COUGH*Imperial Fists*COUGH*! Fetch the modelstrip...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First of all, what do you mean by the "I was amazed to see this" about the codex assassins? I have 2 or 3 copies lying around. Now that you have to play a witch hunter/daemon hunter army to use assassins all its good for is fluff. But they were given away with an older issue of white dwarf (like in the 230 - 250 issue range), and then sold for 5$ american. Shouldn't be that hard to come by now...

As for the terminators, you don't have to rebase them on larger bases. You only have to have a base thats about the size of the one the model originally came with (no smaller but you can go larger). However if you feel that you need to rebase them on a larger base, you can order them online and most retailers that carry GW products will have them for purchase.

It looks to me like all you need for your army to technically be able to play it is another troop choice and a couple of bikes. Probably 50$ and you'll be done. Just use Tigurius as a Librarian for your HQ, and you pretty much have at least one of every other choice. Though I would split the termies into 2 squads, one of which would have the land raider as a transport.

Oh, by the way... Stone age of 40k? That was actually kind of insulting... :. 3rd edition, although a little old now, is not the stone age of 40k. I have the original rogue trader, have played second edition (quite a lot of fun if your willing to spend an entire weekend on a 2000 pt game... which consisted of 12 models) and can tell you honestly that 3rd was leaps and bounds better. No, I would hazard to say that 3rd was more like 40k's renaissance.

*cough* bright yellow marines are pansies *cough*
Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The stone age thing was just a small joke on my part I know 3rd edition is not that old but for anyone who started playing recently and in 4th edition such things are not often seen. In fact even when I first started playing back in 3rd edition more than a little of this stuff was already out of date and absent from the gaming table. Some of this stuff was from late 2nd, very early 3rd. So that said I suppose it was the bronze age, my bad.

I have also never before seen a copy of codex assassins. It may have been given away but anyone I have ever met in person who had one had not kept good care of it and it had fallen apart. To find such a complete and well kept copy was quite a surprise. Maybe its different for you but for me finding the older out of print codex's no matter how common they were proves quite difficult. While their rules may be obsolete the fluff is worth the find.

As for the Terminators the standard now is the 40mm base if I remember the sizes correctly. As they are on the old standard of the regular 20mm bases Ill have to change them to use them. You can put a model on a larger base yes but not a smaller one and 20mm is smaller than the standard now of 40mm.

Yes I could well make a first company army out of them, I was considering repainting them all as Ultramarines (thats what they are currently somewhat painted as) and representing a first company of Ultrasmurfs but thats not that interesting. So I was going to possibly consider Imperial Fists or Dark Angels Deathwing with them but for now Ill just be fixing up the models and stripping them some. The guy apparently has more Terminators and my Ultramarines could use a squad, Ill probably want to find some Assault Cannons though Im not a fan of those heavy flamers but the cyclone launcher will do for now.

I could of course make them a seperate army but currently until the rest of the models arrive that he has Ill stick to repairing and re-equipping each squad as though it were a seperate entity. What is the optimum general equipment for a dread (Ill probably go with standard assault cannon and DCCW as soon as I can wrench that missil launcher off), how should I equip and rebase the terminators, how to fix up the bikes and how many to get to make them a good squadron (probably a couple regular bikes and all is good.

Which reminds me I forgot on emodel, there is also an old power fist sergeant/captain model who looks pretty cool, if I can tear his plastic left arm off and refit him with a new one it will be a great model to make into a vet or a sergeant.

A lot of the models are ones that have now been replaced, we of course now have plastic terminators on larger bases, the old boltguns and pistols are from back before 3rd edition (they resemble the late rogue trader and 2nd edition weapons if I have gotten the eras right). So most of the models need an update, repairs, refit, repaint etc. Ideas on how to fix up the models and equip them would be great I have quite a few spare parts already and more that were brought old and new.

Its a collection of old models and GW material that I have not seen in quite a while and some I have never seen before. The marines werent all there was either.

As for Battlewagon bits it seems the prices are related to demand thus of course marine legs and assault cannons are in high demand and so much more expencive. The real beauty of BWB is that you can get a lot of specific and obscure bits for quite cheap but its not the best to get common and demanded bits like terminator assault cannons for instance.

What I might do is try classic ordering some old metal assault cannon wielding terminators and see if I can get the bases from GW direct.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
But they were given away with an older issue of white dwarf (like in the 230 - 250 issue range)
WD 236 (at least in Oz).

Old 24 Sep 2006, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Aah, great stuff.

I remember those models from the good old days. I have those old Terminators lying around somewhere.
I also have the Assassins codex, got it with a WD as Howloutloud and Hunter mentioned, don't know which number though.

I started the Hobby when 2nd edition was around. But then I was only interested in the moddeling and painting of the models. My gameing started with 3rd edition. But it was only on a small scale since I didnt had that much miniatures to game with. But since 4th edition the hobby is in its full glory.

I would add those 'old' models to your existing army. I also have some models with the old equipment in my army. This resembles the warriors that have been around for a long time.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 01:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
As for Battlewagon bits it seems the prices are related to demand thus of course marine legs and assault cannons are in high demand and so much more expencive.
That's right. As I understand it, BW-bits purchases complete boxes, cuts them into bits, and resells them. In the case of the terminator box, everyone wants an extra assault cannon and nobody wants the other bits - so they have to bump up the price of the assault cannon and reduce the price of the other bits until they're all selling at the same rate. You can see the same effect with other frequently-purchased items, like beakie helms.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting some replacement 40mm bases - GW stores generally have them, as do both BW bits and the GW online store (I think). You might need to purchase some more models if you want to have a codex-legal force, though, since you don't have enough basic troops. You have more terminators than power-armoured marines!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 02:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well thats just stuff brought and its just the start. The guy also has 1-2 squads of assault terminators, various tanks and landspeeders, tac marines, assault marines etc. I also already have an Ultramarine force with 30 Tac marines, 5 assault marines, a chappy, master and lascannon dev. So I can make it into a force if I wish and can use it as a Deathwing Force perhaps or at least the termies, dread and land raider.

So the fix up begins...

Old 25 Sep 2006, 07:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey, if you're into collecting the "old" miniatures and books and all that I've got a closet full of that stuff if you're interseted. fantasy and 40k.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only problem that I have with the "current standard" is exactly that, it's current. You don't have to go back and update all of your older models to make them legal. Believe it or not if you are using older terminators on older bases you are perfectly fine.

However if you want to change the bases thats fine. Just realize that you don't have to.