Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

techmarine
Closed Thread
Old 24 Sep 2006, 18:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default techmarine

what equipment should i give my techmarine for a raven guard army.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 18:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: techmarine

You could mount him on a bike or give him a jump pack. He has access to the armory and in a raven guard force there is no reason he should not be moving fast.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i agree.
the one problem is that due to
ravenguard's flesh over steel,
there are few tanks.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So what if there aren't any tanks in the army. Buy him a full servo harness and a jump pack and join him to one of your assault squads (until otherwise stated, technically this is legal right now).

Think of him as a super veteran sergeant, only one that can be picked out in hth. But with the 2+ normal, 3-4 normal attacks and 2 power fist attacks he will do a heck of a lot better than a normal veteran sergeant.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

LOL! You've changed your tune Vash!

I like the Jump pack idea, it'd make for an interesting conversion and it would also allow the Techmarine to keep up with the vehicle he's supposed to be watching over (assuming he is unable to ride in it). What's more, a techmarine is a lethal close combat character and a jump pack would get him into it real quick.

But despite it's fluffyness and the obvious advantages, you need to consider how you might model an entire servo harness onto a jump pack equipped marine without making him look too cumbersome and heavy to fly. The servo arms would need to appear lightweight and/or fold up out of the way somehow.

P.S. - On a side note, I just had a quick look at the Ravenguard 'battle scene' in the codex...they've got a Predator Annihilator! Someone didn't do their homework before picking up that paintbrush.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 19:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
LOL! You've changed your tune Vash!
Changed my tune? I hadnt known Techmarines could take equipment from the armory before thats all.

The model with the full servo harness would not be difficult to add a jump pack too it looks like. Cut off each top arm and cut the engines off the jump pack. Stick the engines of the jump pack to the top of the techmarines backpack then attatch the arms to the sides of th eengines a few paper clips or thin wire to make some power cables and a few other bits to make the pack look more interesting and unified wouldnt be amiss either.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 21:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's not the actual mechanics of the conversion that I think would be complex, I just think a normal servo harness looks too heavy and unwieldy to fly. You know, all those huge flailing metal arms and claws...I think the real challenge will be custom building a 'lightweight' servo harness that wouldn't interfere with lift and aerodynamics.

I suppose you could concievably cannibalise two jump packs to make one with four rockets...but that might be a bit huge.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well raven guard are a fast moving force with little heavy back up.

This means you'll need some anti tank power. Why not try out a squad of three attack bikes w/ melta guns. Stick the techmarine on a bike and put him the attack bike unit and you've got a serious threat there.

Three multi meltas with one re-roll to hit. Throw the marine in a servo harness and that's a nasty combat unit too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 01 Oct 2006, 22:00   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I like all the ideas from you guys, there is a lot to pick from.

Thank you.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 03:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One thing I don't think any of us really considered was the secondary weapon to buy him. Sure he comes with a bolter, however I feel that is just a waste of a good firing opportunity. And the loss of the extra attack gifted to us by the plasma cutter would be wasted by a storm sheild, so most likely that is out. However I believe I have the answer.

Storm bolter. For a third the cost of a marine you get a decent range gun without losing the combat effectiveness of the techmarine. So for your Raven Guard (and my Dark Angels, as I absolutely love the model) this might be a good idea.

Techmarine w/ full servo harness, storm bolter, terminator honors, jump pack: 140 pts.

This gives us a 12" move, 2+ save, 2 shots at 24", 1-2 shots at 12" (depends on if you moved first and wether you want to shoot) and a flamer template. In hand to hand, assuming he charges, he will have 5 power weapon attacks and 2 power fist attacks. I truly believe that this is well worth the high point cost, and joined to an assault squad should be able to survive a good portion of the game (mainly the shooting part). However do be aware that in close combat if your opponent has a hidden powerfist, you need to try to take it out before it can take out your techmarine as he has no invulnerable save. Though that can be fixed with a little judicious wargear allotment (give him the iron halo and watch him take on things that he shouldn't be able to).

Also looking at the techmarine configuration, it seems very fluffy for a Raven Guard army (less so for my Dark Angels, but I really like the idea so I'm stealing it :P ). However I wouldn't advise using this in games less than 1000 pts, as it is a bit of a point sink.