Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some info needed about The Praetorians chapter
Closed Thread
Old 24 Sep 2006, 09:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Some info needed about The Praetorians chapter

Hello to all comrades!!!
I am starting a space marine army and I like to name then "The Praetorians! or "Emperor's Praetorians". But before this I would ask a few questions here:
This chapter is in use already?
Is a Codex chapter or I can customize it?
Is a founding chapter or a descent chapter?
Which chapter they descent, if any?
Do you know the colour scheme of the chapter?

Thanks for all in advance.

Daniel.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 10:29   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Some info needed about The Praetorians chapter

Well, there is the praetorians for the imperial guard. Other than that, i don't think that this chapter has been built by GW.

Although some one, some where in the world will have nicked the name at one point. As long as you don't meet him you should be fine

And as for the background: make it up yourself... thats what your imagination was designed for.

But i would go for:

Is a Codex chapter or I can customize it? - your choice, but i would, just to stamp your character all over your models. i would personally choose: trust your battle brothers and heed the wisdom of the ancients, just cause there cool! As well as flesh over steel to counter them and die standing. But aspire to glory might be more fitting fluff wise.. but that throws the heed the wisdom trait outa place...
Is a founding chapter or a descent chapter? - It must be a descendant chapter, all of the first founding ones are in the codex itself.
Which chapter they descent, if any? I would most probably say the ultramarines as most are descended from them. Although it would be insanely cool to be descended from the space wolves, blood angels or the legion of the damned. Again your choice, but read your codex and glean as much fluff as you can from the net, and make your choice if its really important to you.
Do you know the colour scheme of the chapter - your choice... again! But personally i would stay away from too many colours (for painting ease) and don't even look at super bright colours, after all, it is the grim darkness of the future, and I don't take highlighter armies seriously :P

Hope that helps
Old 24 Sep 2006, 15:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

There's the PRAETORIAN GUARD and the PRAETORIAN LEGION as noted in the 1,000 Chapters thread (which no one seems to know exists), but I don't know about their colour schemes.

Definately make your own, don't go with Vanilla. Better yet, call them a successor chapter of the Space Wolves or something, as suggested by my fellow forum dweller. That way, you can just use the 'counts as' rules to build your own chapter around some really cool rules and take advantage of some unique units.

I've got to disagree with the other point though - Bright colours are cool! Who better represents the divine light of the emperor than the Space Marines? Who shines brighter as a beacon of hope for humanity? Such is the fearless nature of the Space Marines that they will often shun camouflage and stealth and brazenly join battle in the most dramatic way possible. If Space Marines weren't so resilient, I'd call them foolhardy...some units among the Space Wolves and Blood Angels could be considered suisidal! Dark and somber colours may suit your planned chapter well, but if it's a flamboyant and aggressive army you want, nothing says "I'm going to pull your legs off and hit you with them" quite like a legion of brightly coloured marines storming across the table. Be warned though, bright colours (like Imperial Fists yellow) can be extremely unforgiving if you slip with the brush.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, im not about having camo marines, rather than having gothic marines, like medieval Knights... Bright marines just doesn't feel right.
Closed Thread