Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Servo Harness & Bikes
Closed Thread
Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Servo Harness & Bikes

Very simple question,

can a Techmarine w/ servo harness ride on a bike? Can he have a jump pack or terminator armour?

There's nothing in the codex that suggests otherwise but some people disagree. Namely when I said I wanted to put a techmarine w/ servo harness on a bike (because it'd make an awesome conversion, and be great in an attack bike squad) I had people sceaming at me that it had been FAQ'd. When I told them it wasn't in the Marines FAQ they looked flustered and muttered something about the Raven wing FAQ, which says nothing about techmarines as far as I could find.

Anyways, I was wondering what people thought of this, and if there was anything official.

I know as far as I'm concerned a servoharness on bike would be awesome and totally reasonable and legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Servo Harness & Bikes

Well to get any of those things the Techmarine needs access to the armory and looking at his entry I see nothing that says he can access the armory. No armory means no bike, no jump pack etc.

Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well Pete Haines FAQed it on the GW forums some time ago and said no you can't. But it seems it has been removed, so by RAW (WHich GW seems to go by now) It is perfectly legal.

Vash: Actually he does, Look more carefully. He is an IC and all marine ICs get Armory acess.

Old 21 Sep 2006, 14:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Being a marine IC doesn't give you access to the armoury, but in the techmarines options he does indeed have access. I know it's there, it's just in a funny place/phrased oddly so you don't notice right away.

It means there's some great options for Techmarines though.

For example Techmarine w/ bike, servo harness, combat sheild
Total: 140

Stick him in a bike squad with 2 melta guns and a multi melta attack bike, or just in a 3 man attack bike squad with multi meltas and let the good times roll. With his signum and their high BS they'll get plenty of hits, then before charging in they can lay down some impressive fire with all those meltas + flamer and twin-plasma pistol, before the techy gets into combat and starts laying about with his power axe and fists.

Or how about this one

Techmarine w/ jump pack, servo harness, combat sheild, frag grenades

Basically the same thing but this time he flys around with an assault squad. Give the squad 2 plasma pistols and a vet sarge w/ plasma pistol. Before you charge you get 4 plasma pistol shots, 1 twin-linked, and 1 free re-roll (which can be used to save the vet from an overheat!)
Once in combat the techy and vetsarge can lay on some hurt and do plenty of damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Using RAW you can do all but the terminator. And that one is currently up for debate. Especially since the Space Marine codex doesn't say you can or can't but the Black Templars codex expressly prohibits it.

Personally when the new Dark Angels codex comes out next year I plan on converting a Raven Wing techmarine.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Yeah, in the BT codex it says that he can choose equipment from the Black Templar armoury
Old 24 Sep 2006, 01:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer190
Yeah, in the BT codex it says that he can choose equipment from the Black Templar armoury
We've already established that, bud. It says that in the Space Marine codex too. But thanks.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 02:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative

Geh, a space marine Techmarine with full servo harness on a bike would be awesome to convert, and look awesome on the tabletop. Well, if your going to do this, be sure to put pictures up.

Good luck.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 24 Sep 2006, 12:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, I was stating that in the Black Templar codex, under the servo harness upgrade, it specifically states that you may not purchase terminator armor if you purchase the servo harness.

Now logically it could be assumed that the same could be said for regular marines. However, as we have found in recent times, logic and games workshop aren't always on the best of speaking terms.

This also leads to the fact that no where in either codex does it say that he cannot have a bike or jump pack with the servo harness. So for sake of completeness: Bike = yes, Jump pack = yes, Terminator Armor = No. Which is too bad as my Deathwing would love to have a fully servo harnessed techmarine join them.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 15:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

If we're playing 'Rules As Written' now, it could be construed as one of the restrictions imposed upon a Black Templars force to help balance up their advantages, while other Chapters can have a techmarine in Terminator armour?

If RAW is the way we're supposed to play it now then I say build that techmarine! The massive frame of a suit of Tactical Dreadnought Armour would be ideal for mounting heavy tools and servo arms, and the finished product would be incredible!

You could always have a similarly priced unit on standby to replace him if your opponent has a tantrum when you field him.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread