Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

grey knight additions??
Closed Thread
Old 15 Sep 2006, 10:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default grey knight additions??

i've been thinking again (always a problem) would it be effective to add a unit of grey knights to my army or perhaps an assasin as well. this would bring my fledgling army up to 1000pts.

so is this a good idea, what are your veiws on GK, are they worth it ???

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: grey knight additions??

What does the rest of your army look like?

You really need to give people more information, or else they won't be able to give you good advice.

So, remember this for the next time you start to post something. Thanks.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 17:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

In an army that small? No, I don't think it'd be a good idea. A decent sized squad of Grey Knights could cost you as much as a quarter of your total points allocation! Power armour's great, but we've all seen how badly it can go wrong against even the weakest of weapons. The ability to stand up to a hail of heavy bolter fire with perhaps only a couple of casualties is impressive indeed, but in a small game, infantry wins the day and a dozen lasguns can have the same effect. You don't want to make such a squad one of the few targets on the table, because they just won't survive such exclusive attention...or at least not in sufficient strength to make a difference.

I think an expensive detachment of elite troops like that are best deployed in larger armys with a specific target in mind. You don't want to put them on the line defending an objective because they'll slowly melt away and be destroyed. They're lethal in close combat, so if your opponant regularly fields any particular close combat monsters, then they can be effectively deployed to hunt down and destroy him/them/it. And unlike assault troops (which frankly lack the strength to tackle monsterous creatures anyway), with their storm bolters and excellant special weapons, a squad of Grey Knights is still very useful en route to their designated target.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok so far my army is
-1 jump pack master
-1 librarian
-16 tactical marines
-1 dreadnaught
-12 scouts
-3 bikes
-1 assualt cannon land speeder

oh.......................... when i actually put it down this is a fair bit more than 1000pts................................ crud

well do you think assasins or grey knights would be effective if added to THIS, or would i be better served adding a preadator or something like that. its just that assasins and grey knights look so awsome and they have those cool sword force weapony things

Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The thing is Gk's are going to be used for combat yet there not that much better then assault marines and there the same Pt's, however assault marines have much better mobility which in small games will really help. Gk's are slow, really slow so walking a small unit across the table with little other support give very little chance of them making it there. You could take them as fast slot an DS them but Ive always found that a small unit of expensive power armoured models will not last that long when DS into the middle of the enemy lines. there not that great at shooting, they have decent guns but they can all be got else where cheaper an more numerous. My advice is to use assult marines and save Gk's for a larger Pt's game.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 10:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree to a certain extent, I prefer assault marines myself, but assault marines can't realistically tackle monsterous creatures. You can bury a powerfist in the squad, but it's not enough, not without taking heavy casualties first. Grey Knights, however, strike at initiative and they all have a chance of inflicting a wound, the Justicar even more so.

But I agree with the other Tom, assault Marines can do much the same as a bunch of Grey Knights in close combat (taking into account their extra attack). They may lack the shootiness of their GK kin, and their capacity to dispatch monsterous creatures, but the make up for it in manoeuvrability and tank-busting potential.

As it is, your army is quite well balanced and a detachment of Grey Knights won't really solve any particular weakness. If anything, your list lacks vehicles. I think you would be better off putting a Predator in the mix to help draw some of the fire away from your Dreadnought (and to a lesser extent, your Speeder).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 11:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what about assasins? i've realised that grey knights wouldn't be worth it until i at least get 1500pts.

Old 16 Sep 2006, 11:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

It'll be a little bit cheaper, but only if you equip your Inquisitor Lord with the bare minimum. If you start loading him up with excellant weapons and wargear, you'll soon find that his price coupled with that of his retinue and the assassin himself will quickly start to match that of a Grey Knight squad.

An Inquisitor Lord is wasted if you give him nothing but a storm bolter, and he'll be overpriced for a small game if you tool him up properly. Besides, assissins are best suited to big games where people are fielding super-powered characters. You can really spoil his day with a well placed bullet from a Vindicare's rifle. >

All this aside, there's nothing to stop you from fielding Daemonhunters if you really want to. They're awesome models and carry with them an instant 'wow' factor. By all means field them, don't expect them to be terribly effective, but if they enhance your game, then go for it! You don't have to field them in every game anyway...it'll make it more special when they do make an appearance!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 19:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertus Maximus
ok so far my army is
-1 jump pack master
-1 librarian
-16 tactical marines
-1 dreadnaught
-12 scouts
-3 bikes
-1 assualt cannon land speeder

oh.......................... when i actually put it down this is a fair bit more than 1000pts................................ crud

well do you think assasins or grey knights would be effective if added to THIS, or would i be better served adding a preadator or something like that. its just that assasins and grey knights look so awsome and they have those cool sword force weapony things
I have to say if you're adding anything to your army I'd just add more power armoured bodies. Marines, marines, marines! The more the better! Throw some more footsloggers in there! Blessed be the holy bolter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread