Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

BT unit help!
Closed Thread
Old 13 Sep 2006, 09:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel
Default BT unit help!

i need some help with what else to get to help out my templar army. i'm currently at 1.5k and was wondering what else would be a good selection choice to take. currently i have a marshal with a 5 man command squad with 2 rocket launchers, assault deardnought, 3x 6 man support squads with a las,h.bolter, and p.cannon. 20man crusader squad,10 assault marines,pred with h.bolters and a tl-las,jump pack chaplain, and the champion. is this BT army too shooty? and what else would help it out as i'm not a big fan of terminators what other units could useful. the army i'm shooting for is infantry heavy assault with fire support.

Old 13 Sep 2006, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: BT unit help!

Quote:
is this BT army too shooty?
It is more shooty than what I generally expect from BT, but this isn't a bad thing. It's just a matter of strategy.

If you want more infantry and cc, change the command squad to make it useful for cc (no missiles, add power fist) or just drop it and use the points for a second 20 men squad, with power fist.

I'll drop one of the 6 men squad. What about a speeder, to add mobility?

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 13 Sep 2006, 20:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I find lots of infantry do the trick for me. I make quite large squads, equip them with powerfists and meltaguns and advance as one. There's so many that those special weapons are bound to get used (and nothing pops a tank like melta weapons). You'll take wounds as you advance, but the veteran sergeant or better yet, the high marshal, should keep the men moving forward. With your special rule (is it 'rightous zeal'?) you should be able to close the distance faster than most.

I don't think shooty Black Templars are the way to go, at least a couple squads should concentrate on close quarters fighting of some sort.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

here's what my friend has in his list, which is pretty effective against anything(that I throw at him at least)

chaplin

10 assault marines

5 sword brethren

assault dread (keep him back and use him to support weakened units)

10 marines 5 neophytes
flamer, powerfist emps.champ., ccw wpns and bp

5 marinesX2
las plasma gun

10 marines
pwer sword/fist ccw and bp

pred annhilator

very similar list, except this one has more cc power, but it also has a decent fire base

i like your list too, but the command squad is a bit iffy, make 2 of your 6 man squads into 8 man squads and put your marshal and champion into your crusader squad to make a great cc unit.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

well i just picked up a tornado and so far you guys are helping out alot with not destroying what i got. i'll give the suggestions a try they sound very good at that as well. thx for the help and info guys.

Old 15 Sep 2006, 08:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriel
Is this BT army too shooty? and what else would help it out as i'm not a big fan of terminators what other units could useful. the army i'm shooting for is infantry heavy assault with fire support.
Too Shooty No Way!!!

I took on a shooty BT army list and got ripped in two with it. It just take some work because BT are not intended to be shooty but they can be.

I would try out a Vindicator!

The Vindi is a tank you really can not ignore. So if you want Fire support this is it.

I have a large walking unit myself which consists of
10 Initiates
8 Neos
HQ Chaplin - he will have 3 cenobite servitors to get me those extra inches forward with RZ and the first hit on armor saves is on the 4+ guys.

Then close to this unit in support is my Vindi or you could place the Vindi to pull fire away from this unit. Remember the Vindi my not do much damage but that sucker can sure draw fire! And if you are very lucky the Vindi might take out a Warfish and Pathfinders on the same turn.

WT

(( My support units are 5 man, Plasmagun-Heavy Bolter! ))

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 15 Sep 2006, 17:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

There is no problem with having a large shooty element in a cc oriented army. Those big guns can attract a lot of attention which is what you want. It means the enemy has to decide whether he wants to try and shoot up the firebase and let the assault troops get him, or hit the assault troops and have the fire base tearing into him. Either way you have an advantage. Then if he tries to shoot all of them the damage is split evenly, your shooty units charge closer and again it should not be a problem. The more an opponent splits his fire the less effective it will be.

As for your army another unit of crusaders kitted for cc and another predator cant hurt. It seems you only have 2 vehicles. I would suggest adding a third armored creation of some kind. That way the anti tank fire is split further between them. If your going to use vehicles as marines and guard I always suggest keeping between 3 and 6. If your going heavy armor more but moderately 3-6 works good in my experience.

Old 24 Sep 2006, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Personally, I'd say toss in a Land Raider Crusader and a Vindicator. They wont be able to decide what to shoot first! Trust me, I just got done with a 500 point, 4-man team battle, 2 on 2, space marines vs. Tau and 'nids. We both mounted our marines in Land Raiders, him a regular, me a Crusader, wiped the others out. And the 'nids had 3 monstrous creatures w/ 4 wounds each, and the Tau had two piranhas, it was done by turn 3, they had nothing that could kill us left.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 02:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have a very shooty army myself. One thing I noticed you're missing that helps me alot is scouts. Tom was right you'll take some losses when you advance but throw a scout squad or two in there and the first turn or two alot of the enemy's attention will be focused on taking out those pesky scouts who infiltrated and are shooting heavy bolters and sniper rifles into their squads. Not to say that you won't still take some casaulties from your tactical marines but it saves quite of few lives in the first and sometimes second turn. Just my two cents.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 02:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Unless I am totally forgetting something Black Templars cannot take scouts. Instead their scouts (neophytes if I recall correctly) are attatched to a squad of Initiates (or tac marines). So you can have a squad of 20 with 10 Power Armored marines and 10 scouts.

Closed Thread