Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's an approprioate number of tactical marines/scouts?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Sep 2006, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default What's an approprioate number of tactical marines/scouts?

When planning an army list, what percentage of your total points should be spent on troops? At the moment, I'm including three eight-man tactical squads (on foot) in my 1500 point list, they consistute little over 30% of my total. Should I include transport options in this value? Should I include all non-termie 'infantry' types (eg. Veteran/Devastator/Assault squads)? How do you determine whether or not you've got enough boots on the ground? Do you actually count the number of power armoured models? If so, how many do you aim for?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What's an approprioate number of tactical marines/scouts?

I usually try to go for 40% troops (only Tactical marines) in a 1500 points game.
But that's because I am an avid user of Infantry only armies.
As a total I mostly include about 55-65 power armoured models (3+ save) in 1500 points.

Also some Tournaments ask you to take that amount of points (40%) for the Troops force organisation slot in your army.

I think it really depends on what kind of army you're using.

Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Damn...that many? They're sucking up all the points I want to spend on other things. At this rate I'll have an all infantry army! Coupled with my termies and assault troops, there's not much left to field any heavy support...and you know how short that'll make my dreadnought's life span.

I just can't figure this out. :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well in any army I usually shoot for between 20 to 30% troops which includes any transports they are using. The numbers of actual modles can vary greatly but I find from 400 to 1000pts you want anywhere from 3 to 6 scoring units. When you get to 1500 5-10 is the range I usually try to keep it in. More than that really depends.

A mechanized or Deathwing army might have 20-30 troops tops. Where as an all infantry can get 70 or more if they want. Heck the Raven Guard can get 60 Assault Marines not counting troops if they really wanted.

Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Alright, I guess there's not set 'standard' then...it's just a test and adjust affair. Thanks.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think going 100% troops is fun. Nothing intimidates like 60 fully painted space marines....
Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're playing blood angels, the correct answer (well, according to some powergamers) is 30 scouts, in 6 units, as it maximizes the return on your death company.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

i personally jsut go with waht i can get points wise... i have 3 squads of 6 men.... thats all. And it works and feels fine to me.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I find at least 55 - 60% of my army is usually troop based. I would rather fill my troop choices before I go to the "fun" stuff.

In my regular Dark Angel list I run (in a 2000 pt game) 6 full troop choices. 2 with plasma/ plasma, 2 with missile/melta and 2 scouts (one hth and one shooty). All are max sized and have a veteran sergeant with powerfist. I try to minimize my Hq's to only one. Actually for my Hq, elite, fast and heavy I try not to take more than 1 or 2 each unless we're playing a high enough point battle to warrant it, which honestly never happens.

In my deathwing I run 4 troop choices, though they aren't maxed out as that would be too many points.

My tyranids i have enough to run 5 troops, but I find that I run out of points after the 3rd troop choice.

And the chaos I just started has a fast, an HQ and 2 troops. With most of my future purchases being troop before anything else.

Point of fact, troops will win you the game, not any special units. Unless your playing an Ulthwe list in which case you should be publicly flogged.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Right, cheers. Looks like the problem here is striking a balance between a competetive list and one that's varied and fun to play.

If I get slaughtered in my next game, I'll add another unit of tactical marines or some scouts. What to get rid of though...
Closed Thread