Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deathwing Vs Nids GT style! (with pics!)
Closed Thread
Old 11 Sep 2006, 21:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic
Default Deathwing Vs Nids GT style! (with pics!)

Hola all, just played a great game down my local club with my deathwing, and i think i'll be taking them to the GT cause it was the most fun i've had in ages.

For those of you that aint seen them (which would be everyone but tom - he got a sneak peak - lucky him!) this is my deathwing army in full loverlyness.

Pretty yes?

Anyhow, I used the following list for the game:

Quote:
1500 point GT list

1 Reclusiarch @ 115 Pts
Rosarius; Crozius Arcanum; Storm Bolter
1 Rosarius
1 Terminator Armor
1 Terminator Honors

6 Terminator Assault Squad @ 315 Pts
Count as Troops Troops; 2 Lightning Claws (x4); Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield (x2); Stubborn
1 Sergeant @
Lightning Claw (x2); Stubborn

4 Terminator Squad @ 265 Pts
Count as Troops Troops; Storm Bolter (x2); Power Fist (x4); Assault Cannon (x2); Stubborn
1 Sergeant @
Power Weapon (x1); Storm Bolter; Stubborn

Count as Troops Troops; Storm Bolter (x2); Power Fist (x4); Assault Cannon (x2); Stubborn
1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

1 Land Raider Crusader @ 268 Pts
Hurricane Bolters (x2); Multi-Melta; Twin-Linked Assault Cannon
1 Extra Armor
1 Power of the Machine Spirit
1 Smoke Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1493
And the game was against 1500 points of nids (middleweight Genestealer heavy - winged CC tyrant)

Desert board fairly open, which was a boon in my favour, nid player got the first turn, and ran forwards (as all nids do) his lone thrope proceeded to start up with what happened to be (thankfully) a constant throughout the game (passed its psychic test then missed - for the next 5 turns) and the rest of the nids shooting consisted of the odd venom cannon shot (doing nothing).

With that over the Deathwing could begin, and they did by driving the LRC forwards and shooting up a squad of warriors. The other squads moved up and proceded to rip into the warriors as well (many warriors so may wounds! - and all immune to instant death!).

One thing I noticed right away was that my turn was really fast....speed game!

So onto turn two, his carnifex lumbered forwards and lined up on my LRC, as did his thrope who did as before. However his Winnged tyrant managed to get close enough to get into assalt range (and i had my fingers crossed that he would roll three ones - not a chance) and got into combat with the LRC. Out of 6 attacks only the last got through the armour (we had drawn a crowd at this point!) and managed to destroy my LRC killing one of my Assault Termies and pinning the squad for a turn (ouch - although the rest of the nid army was still a fair distance away) the tyrant ran off (not wanting to face so many nasty and rather annoyed termies) but next turn flew around the squad to attack another unit in the rear (not before the army had shot the carnifex to death (love them rending Assault Cannons!) and reduced the Tyrant to 2 wounds. However the Tyrant made his points back by eating one more squad on his own (and proberbly triplled his value at this point).

At this point the Leaping warrior squad that had been lurking towards the back of the "shooty" warriors decided now would be a good time to bounce into the other squad of termies (who proceeded to last untill the squad of 6 stealers got to the combat and then it went rather wrong).

So now down 2 squads, the chaplin and the Other assalt termies ran into the stealers and the warriors, chewing through almost all of the warriors, and a few of the stealers before they retaliated (and the deathwing died) and my final unit lasted the next 3 turns by running away but was slowly wittled down by the last remaining warrior (with venom cannon) untill at last the two assault cannon termies having mowed down two squads of stealers were finally swamped by two raveners and eaten.

All in all a fantastic game ( in the end the only reason he won was because he had deployed one ravener on the other end of the board to claim that all imporant quater) still we both had a blast and look forward to a rematch next week!

Old 11 Sep 2006, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Deathwing Vs Nids GT style! (with pics!)

Great stuff man!

Nice looking Deathwing. Nice battle report.

1+ Karma given for your battle report and showing of your army!

(Man, I'm giving out a lot of Karma today )
Old 11 Sep 2006, 22:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam
Great stuff man!

Nice looking Deathwing. Nice battle report.

1+ Karma given for your battle report and showing of your army!

(Man, I'm giving out a lot of Karma today )
*Lufs the Kama!*

Old 11 Sep 2006, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Great battle report, bud! Good luck in the rematch!

Psst...*more assault cannons...bigger knives* :shifty:

[hr]

Hey where's Howloutloud...he'll want to see this. *Scampers off to find him*
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 22:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah the next varient I'm going to try is as follows :

Quote:
1 Reclusiarch @ 115 Pts
Rosarius; Crozius Arcanum; Storm Bolter
1 Rosarius
1 Terminator Armor
1 Terminator Honors

6 Terminator Assault Squad @ 336 Pts
Count as Troops Troops; 2 Lightning Claws (x4); Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield (x2); Furious Charge; Stubborn
1 Sergeant
Lightning Claw (x2); Furious Charge; Stubborn

5 Terminator Squad @ 333 Pts
Count as Troops Troops; Storm Bolter (x4); Power Fist (x5); Assault Cannon (x1); Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1); Stubborn; Tank Hunters
1 Sergeant
Power Weapon (x1); Storm Bolter; Stubborn; Tank Hunters

5 Terminator Squad @ 333 Pts
Count as Troops Troops; Storm Bolter (x4); Power Fist (x5); Assault Cannon (x1); Cyclone Missile Launcher (x1); Stubborn; Tank Hunters
1 Sergeant
Power Weapon (x1); Storm Bolter; Stubborn; Tank Hunters

1 Dreadnought @ 115 Pts
Assault Cannon; Missile Launcher

1 Land Raider Crusader @ 268 Pts
Hurricane Bolters (x2); Multi-Melta; Twin-Linked Assault Cannon
1 Extra Armor
1 Power of the Machine Spirit
1 Smoke Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1500
I've decided to include an "all rounder config dread" and bulked out the squad size a bit more - as i did see that the army quickly lost scoring status. Also i've dual purposed the squads, as although while rending is to be fair "the mutts nuts" you can't rely on it all the time plus a little extra range never hurt - still i have a few more weeks of gaming to try out different setups and alter the army as is required.

Old 12 Sep 2006, 02:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Errr..is it me, or is the there only 4 termies per squad?
Old 12 Sep 2006, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First, in a 1500 pt list I wouldn't have taken the Crusader. Which also meant that the assault terminators would have been worthless. But for the points you spent for the unit and their "transport" you could have had 2 units of assault cannon armed terminators.

You also have 3 terminators, but didn't use one in your first list. I find that interesting, though for the life of me I don't see why you didn't take at least one. And thats with me liking your first list more.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you got lucky against his tyranids. One of the things as a deathwing player you don't want to see is a lot of genestealers. Especially when around a third of your points are stuck in one squad. You need to bob and weave with deathwing, avoiding close combat at all costs.

Heres what I would have taken:

Master of Sanctity w/ terminator armor, stubborn (you do have to take it), storm bolter. 135 pts.

5 terminators w/ 2 assault cannons, stubborn 265 pts

5 terminators w/ 2 missile launchers, stubborn 275 pts

Venerable Dreadnought w/ extra armor 130 pts

Dreadnought w/ extra armor, twin lascannon, missile launcher 140 pts

That comes to 1475, leaving you 25 pts to play with, and will out shoot a lot of armies. Now it might seem boring, but if you would have played this list, and avoided close combat as much as possible you would have massacred the tyranids. Plus this will give you a really good chance in any tournaments and against any opponent you might face.

Having said all that though, you did do well against the tyranid, and I hope you enjoy playing the deathwing in the future as they are a lot of fun.

Also don't leave those assault terminators to the way side, just play a larger game. At about 2000 pts they can come to the fore front again (Even against tyranids... though you would need to be very careful)

Also note that I am telling you this from my experiences. Both as a Deathwing player and a tyranid player.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 08:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hehe thanks for the info, as to the comment about having less temies the list was done in Army Builder (proberbly why the chaplain doesn't have Stubborn) but the way it outputs the list is it splits it into Squad + Sarge (so in the case of the squads it would be 4 + 1).

Although i do have a soft spot for the assault termies, its just making sure that they get where they are able to go (those landraiders are nigh on impossible to kill) I feel that if i'm going to take a Chaplin then he has to have his Assault termies + LCR limo.

Still I suppose I could work out a few varient lists involving a librarian. However i'm also tempted to see how the AC + ML Dread works out. Also the lists i use work around my available models, which to be fair are rather limited (for the Deathwing at least).

But having had the night to reflect I know I made some serious errors whilst playing. I underestimated the speed of the nids themselves (being a fellow nid player as well I am just kicking myself - i suppose when you play from the nids perspective you don't realise exactly how fast they are untill your facing them) That and my choice of targets was poorly thought out - namely I shot the closest stuff (which to be fair is what most would do - however I ignored those leaping warriors (he had them close enough to two shooting squads that they blended in).

Still i'll be playing lots of games on the run up to the GT so I'll be able to perfect my style - or at least have mindless fun, I may not win much but those games are so fast!

Closed Thread