Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terminator Equipment
Closed Thread
Old 09 Sep 2006, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Terminator Equipment

Well Ive been considering which elite to add to my force for sometime now. With so many great options its been a tough choice, what with the shooting power of the techmarine with the sweet Tyranic War Veterans and the close combat edge of the Veteran and Termi Assault Squads. Even then there are still options left what with the various toolings of Dreadnaughts and the standard Terminators. But as the topic title suggests I finally picked terminators. After reviewing my army and what it lacks I decided a fire magnet unit to center the advance of my central line and distract my foes from the real damage dealers (my MoS and assault squad) while my tactical squads advance/provide covering fire the terminators can lay down a sheet of fire and advance stubbornly taking as much fire as possible before going down. However funds is an issue and looking at what the terminator sprue provides Im wondering how to equip them for both versatility and sheer firepower. What I was thinking is this:

Terminator Squad (5)
-Sergeant with power weapon and storm bolter
-1 Terminator with Assault Cannon and Power Fist
-1 Terminator with Cyclon Missil Launcher, Storm Bolter and Power Fist
-2 Terminators with Storm Bolters and Chain Fists

I think for 5pts a piece there is no real reason not to add the chain fists. But Im questioning how to spread the weapons and what to chose. I know the assault cannon is good at grinding infantry and downing armor so I really want that to stay but from sheer firepower the cyclones look cool as they add to the existing weaponry not replace anything and both the storm bolter and launcher can fire it would add fire and not replace it like the heavy flamer or assault cannon would. Pity there arent two assault cannons on the sprue but oh well there do appear to be two cyclone launchers which makes me wonder if two might be slightly more beneficial than one and an assault cannon...

Also the chain fists. Im wondering whether I should give them two the two termis with upgraded weaponry so that the squad can take two cassualties before any special gear is lost or whether I should spread out the equipment and give the fists to the two termis without special guns.

What are your thoughts on the matter? For reference the rest of my army is as follows:

Master with Storm Bolter and Power Weapon
Master of Sanctity with Crozius and bolt pistol
5 Assault marines (serg with plasma pistol and power fist) plasma pistols x2
10 Tactical Marines (serg with power fist and bolt pistol), melta gun
10 Tactical Marines (serg with power weapon and bolt pistol), plasma gun, missil launcher
10 Tactical Marines (macragge marines, ccw & bp serg with flamer and ML)
and a single Devastator with lascannon.

I usually split the macragge marines into two groups. The serg with 3 or 4 marines and the flamer marine and the rest with the missil launcher grouped with the lascannon marine to form a devastator squad. Hopefully I will soon add a few devastators and get a vet serg model or two to finish a squad of devs on their own and devote the macragge marines back to a semi useful squad.

For now though Im lacking an elite and the termis are what I chose, what do you think?

Old 09 Sep 2006, 02:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Terminator Equipment

My personal layout for my termie squad is this:

1 Sergent with Power Weapon and Storm Bolter
2 Termies with Assault Cannons and Chain Fists
2 Termies with Power Fists and Storm Bolters

I suggest making both heavy weapons the same thing, and barring unusual circumstances, Assault Cannons are the way to go if you're looking for combat effectiveness. The reason I take both Chain Fists on the same models is that when I take casualties, I can get rid of more people without losing any nifty weapons upgrades.

I think with what you currently have, Terminators are probably the right choice. The dreadnaught would have been your only vehicle, and would have died fast. Techmarines and Vets are awesome, but I think what you really needed was some variety to your list and the Terminators are what give it to you.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 09 Sep 2006, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Indeed and I would go two assault cannons but how would I get the second? The boxed set only appears to come with one and Im a bit strapped for cash to be bits ordering an old metal assault cannon arm or am I mistaken and the box comes with two?

Old 09 Sep 2006, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

No, you're right, there's only one assault cannon, there's only one of each heavy weapon in fact, perhaps it's GW's way of forcing you to buy another boxed set just to get two heavy weapons of a type in a squad? Or maybe they're just trying to encourage people to diversify rather than always taking two assault cannons?

You could get another assault cannon from battlewagon bits, but they're exraordinarily expensive (because everyone wants them). But if you're going to use one of the other two heavy weapons, I recommend the cyclone missile launcher, coupled with the 'Tank Hunters' special skill. I really, truly hate them, but if the alternative is a heavy flamer then the missle launcher is a safer bet. I'm not saying the flamer is bad, but it fills somewhat of a niche and you can't always make good use of it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Sep 2006, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There is one other way. Though it leads through a dark and dangerous road called "Conversion".

First take the heavy flamer and cut the front off so that he looks like hes holding half a gun (that includes taking off anything that remotely looks like it could be a flamer).

Second, you're going to need Q-tips, at least 3. Cut each one in half, then cut off the tip. Now you're going to have to shorten them to about 1/2 an inch with one left a little longer. you might need to get a fourth one so that you have 6 equal length and one thats about a millimeter longer for a total of seven.

Third you need to start gluing them to each other. Start with the long one and another one. Make sure that they are straight and that one end is flat. Then going around (it doesn't matter if its clockwise or counter clock wise) the short one, glue on the others. When you get done gluing them it should look like a honey comb with one sticking out a little farther.

Fourth you need to take a models slotta (the little bit of plastic on the bottom of a model that sticks in a slotta base), carefully remove it and glue it to the longest Q-tip so that the bottom is still even. Its very important that the one side is perfectly flat. Take a rubber band, or really anything of the appropriate shape, and cut it so that you can glue 2 bands around all the Q-tip pipes, making sure to glue it to the sides of the slotta- not around it.

Last, just glue the flat end to the arm where you cut off the heavy flamer and add whatever little details you want and Voila': Instant second assault cannon.

Did one about a week ago, it only took me about 5 minutes to do. The only thing that really takes time is cutting all the pieces.
Old 09 Sep 2006, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Impressive, very impressive.

Old 09 Sep 2006, 23:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Do you have any pictures, Howloutloud?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 01:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I want it noted that the reason I stressed a couple of things when I posted the how to earlier is because of my learning experience.

Also notice that I haven't had the chance to paint it yet, and I need to recheck to see if there are any mold lines (I think I got them all, but you never know)

so: http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...gAnch=imgAnch1

and: http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...gAnch=imgAnch2
Old 10 Sep 2006, 01:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The pics are blurry, but they do serve well...

I was thinking about using burst cannons as assault Cannons, too.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 03:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's really hard to make out...was that originally the current style heavy flamer or the old one?
Closed Thread