Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

about the black dragons
Closed Thread
Old 01 Sep 2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default about the black dragons

okay, so i'm thinking of doing a black dragons army. starting out small at first, and moving slowly forwards. I was wondering about what i should use. should i use the space marines codex with traits (notable divergence, Blessed be the warriors, and either the furious assault one or the BP CCW one. (I don't have my codex on me, so i can't find the names.) and Eye to eye as my drawback.) or should i use the blood angels codex (in the 13th founding article on the uk website, it says about them having elite units like death company called the "dragon claws")

I want my army to be led by a chaplain w/ jump pack, and have as many assault marines as possible (if i can fit the points, 3 elite units, and 3 fast attack)

Now, to the modelling part. for the chaplain, i don't like the new chappy with jump pack (not a full skull helmet) so a conversion there will be needed. but besides that, i'm planning to take off his crozius,and put it on his belt, and have him fighting in true black dragon style. With his adamantium sheathed bone-blades. All the plastic models will be easily convertable (hehe, sprue = blades when you cut it into the right shape) and all models who can will have power weapons. these are the ideas i have had, if anyone else wishes to contrubute to these ideas, please, go right ahead.

Thank you in advance,

Deadman42
Old 01 Sep 2006, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: about the black dragons

I definitely think 'counts as' Blood Angels would be the best choice.

As for the slung Crozius, I did the same thing with my Chaplain (I couldn't bear to part with the cool looking sword).

You can make a Lanyard to hang it on with green stuff (as pictured below): Get two thin, equal lengths of green stuff (really thin), or even three if you're feeling brave and lay them side by side. Then gently pin down one end with your finger and roll the strands together (apply as little pressure as possible - you don't want them to combine into one length). This should twist the two lengths of greenstuff into a braid. Once it's tight enough for your liking, just apply it to your model and paint it however you want once it's dry.

It makes for a great decorative addition too; I used one on my venerable dreadnought to give him more of a regal appearance.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 17:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i'm a bit hesitent against using the blood angels codex, as for 1: it's quite old, for 2: the space marine codex is new and good, and 3: i don't want cries of death company cheese.

By the way, i'm loving the chaplain. thanks for the tips!
Old 01 Sep 2006, 18:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman42
i'm a bit hesitent against using the blood angels codex, as for 1: it's quite old, for 2: the space marine codex is new and good, and 3: i don't want cries of death company cheese.

By the way, i'm loving the chaplain. thanks for the tips!
You're welcome.

Sure, the BA codex is old...but that's what the http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/gaming/FAQ/assets/blood_angels_faq_v4-1.pdf]Blood Angels FAQ's[/url] are for.

And who says you have to include a big Death company? Your army list is only as cheesy as you make it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think i have decided to use the space-marine codex (as i already have it, and don't have to pay for the BA codex that way.) (also, i'm trying to stay away from armies that people i know already have, and a guy here has just started blood angels.)

so, for the traits, do you guys think that the traits i chose are good ones? i'm leaning towards "blessed be the warriors" and the one that gives furious assault to assault squads or tac squads. that way, all of my assault squads could have furious assault, while having a couple of tac squads for fire support. here's the plan thus far

HQ: chaplain with jump pack
Elites: Assault squads
troops: tac squad firebases
Fast: Assault squads
Heavy: i don't know, i haven't ever played SMurfs, i'm not 100% farmiliar with all the heavy options. i'll do some research tonight/tomorrow. Maybe devastators?

so i need to know about assault squads. what's the optimal size? what are the strengths and weaknesses? should i go plas pistols or flamers (i'm leaning towards plas pistols, as without powerfists (not fluffy) i'm going to have a lack of most AT other than heavy and tac squads.)

thanks again!

EDIT: apparently, they have rules, presented in chapter approved. i don't know if i want to use them, but they sound nasty. rending on assault squads for some points per model. sounds pretty nice, but i'm unsure if i'll be able to find these rules.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Assault squads can take meltabombs (dead cheap too), so you needn't worry about AT power...but without power fists or plasma, you'll struggle against monsterous creatures. It depends what enemy you expect to face.

Howloutloud and I are of differing opinions on this matter. We've discussed it extensively in the recent thread entitled: 'Chaplain w/ j.pak'. I'm in favour of flamers and he's all for plasma. He's got a lot to say about the matter, so if you don't get enough information from that thread (pros and cons), then I highly recommend you ask him about it.
Old 04 Sep 2006, 20:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey, what's the fluff behind the Black Dragons? They look to be a good assault-oriented chapter to start once my Tau are finished (Still a LONG ways away)
Old 04 Sep 2006, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The are part of the Cursed 21st founding, and as such their ossmuldia organ (the one for bone structure, growth, and the rib-plating) malfunctions and works in overdrive, causing bony protrusions to sprout from their forearms, elbows, head, and knees. They often sharpen these into deadly blades, and sheath them in adamantium. I have a couple of black dragons army lists in the army lists board. If you go to the uk games-workshop site, they have more information on the 21st founding.
Old 04 Sep 2006, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah, excellent. A loyalist chapter with a really cool theme, and just that hint of rebellion. I like it.
Old 05 Sep 2006, 00:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

From what I understand, they used the Salamanders gene-seed to try to curb the Blood Angels one... and it went terribly, if awesomely, wrong...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Closed Thread