Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar Strategies
Closed Thread
Old 31 Aug 2006, 03:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition
Default Eldar Strategies

Hey all,

I'm a space wolves player and I'm constantly getting destroyed by Eldar. So, many things give them such an advantage from decimating my troop squads with their Mind War psyker ability, shooting me from long ranges and then using fleet of foot to move back behind cover again, to using bright lances to take down my armour and easily penetrate. Does anyone have some good strategies to cause Eldar as much trouble as their causing me? Thanks in advance!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 05:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: Eldar Strategies

An army list of yours or vague allusion to your composition would help us a great deal in aiding you :P

The best ways to kill Eldar troops is with disciplined bolter fire from your Grey Hunters to my experience...as they're at least buff enough to stop the choppy Aspect Warriors should they make it into assault range of you. Blood Claws are practically useless against the Eldar- they'll be charging you, so your Berserker skill means nothing, while your WS3 is death against them...especially Banshees.

Well-placed Long Fangs will sort out his vehicles...but you must be very careful with them if he's running lots of Bright Lances/Starcannon. If he makes it in range of them, they're toast...but if he's trying that hard, they're serving their purpose of taking the vehicles out of the game.

Grey Hunters are still the best thing in your list, to my mind...and your army should have plenty of them to sort out pretty much any Eldar infantry. If he's spamming you with Mind War, then take Wolf Tail Talismans and hope for the best...or a Rune Priest to help cut down his success. That's about the only defence you've got...since he'll have plenty of targets in your army (since you must have several powerful characters).

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 31 Aug 2006, 05:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

Grey Hunters are still the best thing in your list, to my mind...and your army should have plenty of them to sort out pretty much any Eldar infantry.
I totally agree with Bash on this one. If you could post your points level and brief army list, I could make a few recommendations.

Remember, while Eldar are very powerful, they are also very Crunchy!!

You could try taking fewer vehicles and more troops, unless you have a Whirlwind.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 31 Aug 2006, 15:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition

This is the 1500 army I play with mostly.

HQ

Wolf Lord
Bolter
Power Fist
Bionics
Meltabombs

Wolf Priest
Frost Axe
Bionics

Troops

Grey Hunters(10)
Power Fist
Wolf Guard Leader
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
Bionics

Blood Claws(15)
Power Weapon
Plasma Pistol X2
Flamer
Wolf Guard Leader
Multi Melta
Power Weapon
Bionics

Fast Attack

Blood Claws Assault Squad
Power Fist
Wolf Guard Leader
Bolter
Power Fist
Bionics

Elites

Wolf Scouts
Sniper Rifles X 4

Heavy Support

Long Fangs
Missile Launcher X 4
Pack Leader
Flamer

Land Raider Crusader
Extra Armour
Old 31 Aug 2006, 16:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think your list is the problem. You could definitley make this army more effective overall, and especially against Eldar.

For starters your very static, you have only one unit that moves quickly! This will have to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requisition
This is the 1500 army I play with mostly.

HQ

Wolf Lord
Bolter
Power Fist
Bionics
Meltabombs
This guy has a wierd set up. The powerfists wastes his high intiative while the bolter gives him little incentive to charge.

I would change him for this:

Wolf Lord w/ frost blade, bolt pistol, frag grenades
97 points. Now he's a fair bit cheaper and deadlier!

Quote:

Wolf Priest
Frost Axe
Bionics
You certainly like the bionics, which is strange because they're really not all that great. I'd drop them in exchange for frag grenades and a bolt pistol, otherwise your fine. (Does a Wolf Priest come standard with a bolt pistol?)

Wolf Priest, frost axe, bolt pistol, frag grenades
97 points

Quote:

Troops

Grey Hunters(10)
Power Fist
Wolf Guard Leader
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
Bionics
This squad is weird. You've tooled them up for combat by giving them pistols and combat weapons and a leader and then instead of giving your squad leader a power fist to get lots of killer attacks you gave him bionics when he can't even be targeted. Let's fix this squad up a bit

9 Grey hunters w/ plasma gun, 8 bolters, powerfist.
Wolf guard leader w/ powerfist, bolter
Total: 234

About 12 points more expensive than the previous squad but far more useful now. The plasma gun is good because it has a high enough strength to deal with any eldar vehichles he has. This squad has a lot of bolter power at long and short range and a healthy 5 powerfist attacks against anyone foolish enough to charge it.

Quote:

Blood Claws(15)
Power Weapon
Plasma Pistol X2
Flamer
Wolf Guard Leader
Multi Melta
Power Weapon
Bionics
Wow. First off this squad is illegal, the Wolf Guard Leader CANNOT take a multi melta. Secondly why would you want him too?

Honestly against Eldar I'd drop this squad entirely and add another Grey Hunter squad or two like the one above.

Quote:

Fast Attack

Power Fist
Wolf Guard Leader
Bolter
Power Fist
Bionics
This squad is great. Fast and hurty I hope its at maximum size. This should worry your opponent. The only thing I'd change would be swapping the wolf guards bolter for a bolt pistol. That way he can shoot and still charge as well as get an extra attack on the charge.
Elites

Quote:
Wolf Scouts
Sniper Rifles X 4
Unless your opponent is fielding a couple of wraithlords i'd replace these guys with a unit armed for combat. Use the behind enemy lines special rule and pop up in the rear and cause all sorts of havock.
Quote:

Heavy Support

Long Fangs
Missile Launcher X 4
Pack Leader
Flamer
I'd drop the flamer, it's basically redundant here. Other than that this squad is good.

Quote:
Land Raider Crusader
Extra Armour
If the eldar player has any brightlances kiss the raider goodbye. I'd replace it with more grey hunters. Maybe try mounting the grey hunter squads in drop pods meaning you can actually get close enough to seriously hurt the Eldar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 19:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Fast Attack

Power Fist
Wolf Guard Leader
Bolter
Power Fist
Bionics
Are you using the assault squad for a reason? If it is just because they are models you have, then it will have to do. Or maybe you have a good tactic for them, in which case please tell me because I also have a Wolf Jump pack squad who never get to see the table. But Wolf Assault squads are Bike squads without the bikes, you lose the +1T and TL bolters in return for a jump pack. you move no faster, although they can jump over terrain, but they cost the same. 30pts plus upgrade for a substandard jump pack marine is not a good bargain.

Personally, and I know it depends on what you have, especially if you spent time painting them up as well, I would drop them for Rhino(s) or a Close combat scout squad who cost less, have better stats (except armour) and can appear behind the enemy, not needing to cross the fields of fire. Excellent for jumping on tanks or shooty squads.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 20:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Man, I've been fighting my Brother's Eldar force for what seems like forever. He used to constantly beat me and I tried so many different things to get the upper hand. I can't comment on the mayhem caused by the farseer because my brother rarely fields his, but instead he uses a large number of Rangers and Pathfinders to harass my troops and outmanoeuvre me with fast units.

One of my more successful adaptations was to deploy a small assault squad armed with Flamers for the sole purpose of hunting down and destroying the Rangers and Pathfinders. They would hop between patches of cover, staying out of sight for the most part, as they closed the distance and then pop out to burn the snipers. They weren't able to deal with all of them of course, they'd destroy maybe one or two units in a game, but when they started to draw close it forced him to move troops to defend those Rangers most at risk. I've also had some limited success with Whirlwinds in this capacity, but they're not very accurate and even if that pie plate does land on target, if they're in area terrain they're still going to get a cover save (an improved one at that). For digging out snipers, I've come to love Flamers though.

Eventually I found the key to victory was to mechanise everything. Many a game now I've not had a single boot on the ground during deployment. Once he realised he couldn't outmanoeuvre me anymore or force half my army off the table with Ranger disruption rolls he started to lose because he'd gotten so set in his ways he couldn't adapt. I soon added a Prometheus to my 'armoured battlegroup' because Eldar infantry fear little more than Heavy Bolters and the Prometheus bristles with four of them...twin-linked.

You will find that Falcons with holo fields and Bright Lances and Star Cannons are just as horrifying as Wraithlords. They move like lightning and ignore terrain, meaning they can be anywhere on the table, threatening any unit in your army within moments. To make matters worse their status as skimmers coupled with a holo field makes them damn near impossible to kill and as if that wasn't enough, they have an annoying tendancy of dropping troops in critical areas. In my experience, the best way to kill them is not high-power weapons like Lascannons, but medium strength weapons with lots of shots. Two autocannons have an equal chance of inflicting a penetrating hit against AV12 as a single twin-linked Lascannon, however, you should expect almost every shot fired against a Falcon/Wave Serpent/Fire Prism to be reduced to glancing anyway, and two autocannons have a far better chance of inflicting a glancing hit than a single twin-linked Lascannon. With that in mind, if you upgrade an Assault Cannon toting unit with the 'Tank Hunter(s)' special skill (assuming Space Wolves can do that), you've effectively got two autocannons. Now if you take into account the rending ability of the Assault Cannon too, you've got an excellant Falcon Hunting weapon. Against fast moving skimmers, the more glancing hits you can inflict the better. The ability to land a penetrating hit is almost completely irrelevant.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 01 Sep 2006, 00:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Instead of a LRC you could try something smaller, the problem was only having one vehicle in the list, so that made it a fire magnet. Against Eldar like armies, I field two dreds, and a small HQ retinue with a coulple of Terminators with Assault Cannons, mixed armour rules rock with the Wolves! This unit is only for large games.

You do have to becareful where these guys are placed or they will get destroyed quite easily, so becareful with deployment of these guys, if they live long enough, these units will tear it up.

Once you play against the Eldar a few more times, you will see what you want as a target priority and go after it. It may not be the same in each game so be on the look out.

The scout unit you have, I think can have one Hvy Bolter, so throw one in there, AP4 will knock those guys to the ground. Also throw one HVY Bolter in the Long Fangs unit as well, 36" with 3 shots will do some damage.

You have some good comments from Tom and BigW so take a good look and post a new list.

Good Luck
WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 01 Sep 2006, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm really surprised that no one noticed this little tid bit:

Quote:
shooting me from long ranges and then using fleet of foot to move back behind cover again,
thats what I like to call a little thing like cheating. since fleet of foot (claw, wing, etc...) only happens in the shooting phase Instead Of Shooting that means that he cannot shoot you and then use it to return to hiding in cover. Impossible to do, and I think I would definitely call them on it.

as far as your list goes, for the most part I agree with whats already been said. I do want to note that in a 1500 pt game you are better off without the LRC, especially against eldar, as that is a huge chunk of points they can knock off with one shot.

I would just take in the advice given, settle back and contemplate what in your army you should change. I only say this as some people tend to have certain models or units that they really like and won't give up no matter what. Overall your list is OK and only needs a few tweeks and turns to make it legal and somewhat competitive.