Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Another Drop Pod Question
Closed Thread
Old 26 Aug 2006, 03:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Another Drop Pod Question

A few weeks back, the question was asked wether the Drop Pod counted as a Transport Option. During the course of this discussion I asked wether it was okay to attach an Independent Character to a squad using a Drop Pod before the game and have him deepstrike when they did. The ever helpful Malveaux replied no, stating the rule that "An Ind. Character may only join or leave a unit during the Movement phase." I accepted this, as I have no ready access to a core rulebook or any reason to doubt. However, as I was reading the FAQ linked to in this topic: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=30648.0, I can across this:

Quote:
Q: Can a player declare that his Independent Characters join a squad before the game begins, so that they start the game together? And, more importantly, if the character and his squad are kept in Reserve, can you roll for them together (i.e. only one roll applying to both), so they enter the game together (particularly if they are using a transport)?
A: Yes, and yes. Basically, Independent Characters can start the game inside the squad, and therefore count as part of the squad for all intents and purposes.
Now, this seems to contradict what Malveaux has said. This makes it sound like as long as I declare that my IC has joined the squad, he may deepstrike alongside them. I would like some clarification on what is correct in this situation.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 26 Aug 2006, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Another Drop Pod Question

An Independent Character may join a squad in the Movement Phase or when he's being placed on the table. An IC may not join a squad in a drop pod, as that does not follow the rules for joining a unit.

To put it simply, the FAQ is unofficial, and in some instances, wrong. Use it as a guideline, similar to how you deal with Pete Haines' clarifications.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Invader_Jim,

There's a lot of interesting things in that FAQ. Some of them make sense, some of them don't. Some of them clear up some of our suspicions, and others just give us even more queries. Just remember that this FAQ is not official except for the tournament itself. It's not a global released FAQ. It's just the organizers answer/ruling to a few things that come up often enough that they don't want judge rulings being asked for every table with all those people. So instead, it's cleared up before hand.

Under 4th edition rules, we cannot join an ind. character to another squad unless it's during the movement phase (unless they're a retinue of course and they begin the game as a single unit). So we cannot throw an Inquisitor or Grey Knight Hero into a bag of normal marines and then pod them down to victory, normally.

However, if you and your opponent agree to use that tournament FAQ, then by all means, throw every ind. character you have into a Pod and watch them all come down with some marines and have some fun . Just remember though, it's not official for any game outside of that tournament.

By the way - the funny thing is, that `FAQ' has contrary rulings to Pete Haine's clarifications that were posted on the GW forums haha. Good 'ol GW!

So take them as you will. Let your opponent read it and both of you decide if you'd like to use the rulings there. Just remember, it's not legal to push that FAQ into your game, unless you're participating in that particular tournament.

Cheers!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you for answering my question.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

My rulebook is the one that came with the Battle for Macraggestarter set (its what I started with) so my page # may not be correct.

P81 under "Deploy Forces" third paragraph
"When deploying an independent character on the table, you may specify that it startsthe game already inside a unit and place it in coherancy with it."
Still arguable because it says "on the tabel", but the second paragraph (the one in the BBB above this one) says you may place the unit inside a transport for deployment. As I read this, you can put your IC with a unit, in a Drop Pod, and deply as having already joined the unit.
Unless of course, an offical FAQ has stated differently.

Sorry Mal.....please don't crush me :-\....hahaha

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGS
My rulebook is the one that came with the Battle for Macraggestarter set (its what I started with) so my page # may not be correct.

P81 under "Deploy Forces" third paragraph
"When deploying an independent character on the table, you may specify that it startsthe game already inside a unit and place it in coherancy with it."
Still arguable because it says "on the tabel", but the second paragraph (the one in the BBB above this one) says you may place the unit inside a transport for deployment. As I read this, you can put your IC with a unit, in a Drop Pod, and deply as having already joined the unit.
Unless of course, an offical FAQ has stated differently.

Sorry Mal.....please don't crush me :-\....hahaha
Heya,

It's the same page in the main rulebook as well, page 81. It always comes up.

Unfortunately, drop pods and units in drop pods are held in reserves. The independent character is deployed normally and cannot join a unit held in reserves. And even if the mission rules allow for units to be held in reserves, it doesn't allow him to join them still. The rules of page 81 are clear that the character may join units and be placed in coherency with them--but they have to exist on the table top. You cannot perform this in reserves - it would be performed in deployment. Otherwise, you would join units normally through the movement phase. Again, the pod and the unit are in reserves so you cannot join them regardless.

So again, unfortunately, it's not possible to have a tag along independent character being attached to a unit in a drop pod under the normal 4th edition rules.

-- Believe me, I would love to hitch a few Inquisitors into a Drop Pod with my Death Watch Kill team just for some explosive Scouring or mass Holocaust fun. But the rules simply don't allow for it.

Cheers!