Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaplain w/ j.pak
Closed Thread
Old 26 Aug 2006, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Chaplain w/ j.pak

I have an assault squad of 6 men. easily put, in larger games it doesn't help me that much, I saw the new model of the Chapln w/ j.pack and think that it looks flippin' awesome. I think having a fearless assault squad which can reroll failed to hits, with a holy relic could be devastating. And yes i do know Ten would be much more effective than six... but i am lowbudget, cheap, whatever...

6 assaulties w/ sgt., purity seals, furious charge
Chaplain w/ jpak, holy relic, furious charge

=25 S5 I5 attacks which can reroll failed misses + 5 S5 I6 pwr wpn attacks.
Am i right on this...i am getting the latest marine codex very soon so don't hate me...like i said, LOW BUDGET!

(oh ya, plus, does the holy relic give the bearer himself +1 attack?)

Old 26 Aug 2006, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Chaplain w/ j.pak

Yes the relic does give him the bounus, is he within 2d6 in of himself?

Also you should think of giving the squad sgt. a power wepon or fist.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 03:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, except that you may only give a Holy Relic to a Reclusiam Standard Bearer... not the Chaplain himself.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 26 Aug 2006, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually a few things wrong with your unit:

1. the chaplain can't buy furious charge, only the unit can, and then only if you take the trait that allows it.

2. with the chaplains ability to make the squad fearless (I hope that isn't too much info) you don't really need the purity seals.

3. as was stated in an earlier post, give the vet a powerfist.

4. again as posted, the chaplain can't have a holy relic

now, as for the effectiveness of this unit... lets just say you aren't the first one to come up with having a chaplain lead an assault squad (not busting on you, just telling you that it is a good thing). and even though I would personally prefer 10 myself, there is nothing wrong with only having 6 men in the squad.

though there is two other things, first you might want to look into buying 2 plasma pistols for the squad (give you a better chance against MEQ's) and secondly if you have the points you might want to look into melta bombs.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't neglect flamers either. They're not much use to you against MEQs, but against Guard, Orks, 'Nids and Eldar they can be a huge asset. Not only for burning up swarms, but for incinerating support units safely tucked away in cover. I actually made my first assault squad for the purposes of hunting down and destroying my brother's Rangers and Pathfinders. They performed excellently.

Assault squads are one of the few Marine unit types that can really put them to good use. Make sure you're in real close when you use them though; you don't want to open up at arms reach and burn up the only models within assault range. Flamers are devastating more often than not, but only use them when you think you can cover at least four models.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the main problem that I have with assault units taking flamers is the loss of attacks. By replacing the close combat weapon bolt pistol that you normally get with a flamer thats 2 models in the unit that just lost attacks. that might not be that big of a deal in a10 man squad, but in a 6 man thats kinda huge...
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
the main problem that I have with assault units taking flamers is the loss of attacks. By replacing the close combat weapon bolt pistol that you normally get with a flamer thats 2 models in the unit that just lost attacks. that might not be that big of a deal in a10 man squad, but in a 6 man thats kinda huge...
I don't see that as a problem myself. If you're gonna deliver 10-12 instant hits between two flamers (possibly negating armour saves) then those two standard close combat attacks you'd lose (and a couple Bolt Pistol shots on top of that) pale by comparison.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i thought chaplains could also hold holy relics
just not sacred standards, and i dont know why i put in there purity seals, i dont remember typing that...
i have the old codex, i didn't know i could have flamers with assaulties ?
and ya, i played in a game today against Tau, and one against imperial guard, won both, and yes of course, i used plasma pistols...did nothing though against hammerhead, but i gave a ;D to my chaplain and destroyed his hammerhead! so few points for so much destuction, is it worth it though to give the whole assault squad melta bombs though?

Old 28 Aug 2006, 03:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I cannot stress this enough...

Get the new codex!!!

It tells you whether or not your assault marines can have flamers and whether or not your chaplain can have a holy relic (which he can't).

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 28 Aug 2006, 14:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy
...i played in a game today against Tau, and one against imperial guard, won both, and yes of course, i used plasma pistols...did nothing though against hammerhead, but i gave a ;D to my chaplain and destroyed his hammerhead! so few points for so much destuction, is it worth it though to give the whole assault squad melta bombs though?
I think they're worth it. Below, I've included a table comparing the penetrating hit probabillities between a plasma pistol (wielded by an assault marine) and a Meltabomb hurled at a vehicle moving at normal speed.

(Vehicle moving at normal speed)

As you can see, a single meltabomb is far more effective against a vehicle moving at normal speed (more effective still against stationary/immobilised vehicles). Furthermore, you will very likely have more than one Marine left in the squad when you mount the assault against his vehicle, so multiply that figure by the number of attacks you'll be making and you're looking at some tank-busting mayhem! Be aware though, Meltabombs have greatly reduced effect against fast moving vehicles, whereas Plasma pistols are unaffected (as detailed below). This is, of course, offset by the number of attacks you're making.

(Fast moving vehicle)
Closed Thread