Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Powerfists in assault squads
Closed Thread
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Powerfists in assault squads

I've finally begun work on my Vampire themed assault squad, as discussed here some time ago and I've come upon somewhat of a dilemma. Powerfists are great in a tactical squad because they give them some manner of effective recourse against big nasties up close. That being so, I've always thought they'd be even better in an assault squad (because assault squads are supposed to get into close combat) but because I want to give my sergeant a power sword (because the one I've got looks damn cool), I stopped to think about it. What do I use powerfists for? Busting tanks and the occasional monsterous creature. I play against Eldar and Guard, so I need only concern myself with Wraithlords and the Avatar of Khaine as far as monsterous creatures go, and I think I'd rather tackle them with shooting anyway. That only leaves vehicles as a target for powerfists, and for them I can (and do) take Meltabombs.

Considering the fact that I want him to have a power sword, do you think my sergeant should also have a powerfist? Is it really worth it just to 'instakill' characters?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Powerfists in assault squads

In most cases, the Power Fist's increase to strength will increase the wounding chance by 40%, and with all those ablative wounds, the sarge nearly always will swing.

The case with Guard and Eldar are different, though - you're wounding well already, and sometimes having initiative will be better.

Overall, I'd say take either/or, but not both.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, when you think about it, the Power Fist has more utility than what you give it credit for. Because a Fists strength not only helps hurt the big stuff, but lets you have an "anything but a one" roll to wound, which is helpful, even against the Guard. Also while you might perfer shooting down monstrous creatures, you don't always get a choice in the matter. If they charge you, it'll be nice to have something to fight back with. Even better if by having the Fist you can keep them from charging at all.

Anyway, they don't call them Imperial Fists for nothing. :P
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I keep a power fist in my assault squad.
It is quite helpful. Especially since the sargeant cannot be targeted, and
thus gives him survivability within the squad.
I'd say give the guy a big, mean fist.
(Or perhaps you could "pin" the arm, so you could change to either, depending
on the foe you're facing).
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Power fist insta kills.

Attanck a comand squad and go through them in one turn.

Take out a seer council.(I woudn't aim for those inCC) but you never know.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Considering the fact that I want him to have a power sword, do you think my sergeant should also have a powerfist? Is it really worth it just to 'instakill' characters?
Usually people take heavy duty CC weapons to kill MEQs & Monstrous Creatures. This is were Powerfists shine. If that MC wants to get in CC, then your fist will be able to put the smackdown on 'im.

The fists are first and foremost a CC weapon. I wouldn't try to use them for anti-tank primarily because you have to get up close and that isn't always available. I'm not saying you can't use them at all for anti-tank, just think of it as a bonus in most cases.

I would say that if your not fighting MEQs or Monstrous Creatures, then leave the fist at home. Having alot of PF can start to really add up, and they are a waste against things like guardsmen.

IMO, I think that your Assault squad might do better with a humble power sword rather than a PF in most cases.

Old 24 Aug 2006, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The powerfist is a very nice piece of gear and I woulda given it to my commander were it not for his high Initiative already. However the assault squad can make good use of it. Even against Eldar and Guard the ability to insta kill those nasty HQs is very useful. Also even with melta bombs I like using the power fist because of the extra number of attacks it gets and the assault squad's speed means its not too difficult to reach side or rear armor. The versatility of being able to take on literally anything (even land raiders on a 6) is very nice IMO.

However you can have both. Give him the sword and use it as a "counts as" powerfist. The sword is so heavy and strong etc, etc. Ive seen a pair of swords being used as twin linked lightning claws, most opponents shouldnt have a problem with it and if they do well use it as a power sword and stick to melta bombs. Thats what I would suggest anyway.

Old 24 Aug 2006, 22:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

power fists win combats...

its not just about laying the smack onto wraithlords. its useful against anything, whether its a striking scorpion, another marine, a crisis suit etc.

the strength boost and the number of attacks make it the assault winner. the rest of the attack in an assault squad are collateral damage. like, your sarge will, on a good turn kill 2-3 guys on his own. a full assault squad will kill the same amount roughly. he doubles their effectiveness. trust in it...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Aug 2006, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm, so many conflicting opinions.

Vash, I do like your idea. I had considered it, but initially dismissed it because I religiously represent everything on my models. However, this is a very special and unique squad for me. Ideally I imagine I would like to make some special rules for them (or perhaps only the Sergeant's sword), but the next best thing would be to use the sword to represent a powerfist...it is big and heavy after all (for a one handed weapon).

Magnets are a good idea, Chton...but I prefer my models to be whole and solid, I don't like having to be so careful when I pick them up. Good call though.

Well thanks fellas, I think I've decided now. Gimme a week or so (two or three if my new Dreadnought turns up in the next few days) and I'll have a spiffy new assault squad to show off, painted with my 'new yellow' technique (I've found a new way to do it that I prefer).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 05:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would really go with a Powerfist BP combo.

I know you may like your PW marine but having a PW and a PF on the same guy is really a waste of points.

I have been playing my Black Templars a lot lately and I do miss the two PFs I can have in a 9 man Blood Claw pack. One PF is just not enough for me.

I also have played quite a few games ( BT's ) with the PW/BP combo, and I don't know how many times I wish I PF because it would have wounded on a two.

So . . . MY vote is for the PF, you'll be knocking dudes into orbit with it!!

WT

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Closed Thread