Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of Starting SM "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients"
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Thinking of Starting SM "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients"

There's a store in my area closing (bummer) but they're offering up to a 50 percent discount on merchandise if you spend more than 400 (retail original). This is my chance to add a second army to my 40K...

I've had a fascination with Dreads forever, and I've been thinking about creating either an Iron Hands (those are the non-chaos, right?) army or a "Chapters" army with Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients so that I can have up to six Venerable dreadnoughts.

Add in a Techmarine with servitors, and you've tooled out most of a 1500 points list. With six really hard to kill Dreadnoughts...

What would you add to this force to balance it out of its weaknesses?

I should add that my only 40K army is Tau. I've never played anything else, so while I know what they can do, I don't know what I should do in this setup.

Also, what's the "big" difference (if any) between buying a Venerable Dread model and a reglar Dread model?

Thanks
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thinking of Starting SM "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients"

If you plan on the six dread with tech leading then you would probably be better off with the Iron Hands (yes you got it right).

first I would add some troops (probably figured that out though) and since you seem to be going with a shooty list (I'm assuming here) I would go with some tactical squads with heavies in them. then its just a matter of what fasts you would want, although this would be for a much larger army.

as for the difference between a ven and regular dread, the regular cost less, comes with more weapon options and is made of plastic.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 23:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're going to build a Dreadnought army though, you should leave room for at least one spiffy Forge World model (perhaps to represent the oldest of the venerable dreadnoughts). I've just ordered a Black Templars venerable Dreadnought (as shown below) and I plan to covert it to Imperial Fists. I just think it's a damn fine model and I must have one.

Also, don't overlook the various weapon arms offered by Forge World. Be aware that the Inferno Cannon and Assault Drill (again, pictured below) are not interchangeable (Siege Dreadnoughts use them in unison - See Imperial Armour update 2005). There's also the Mortis pattern Dreadnought, but that's a Dark Angels thing so you can't take them if you want to take the 'Heed the wisdom of the ancients' trait advantage.

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Do NOT get the Venerable Dreadnought model, its made of metal, and is not as good quality as it should have been. With the regular dreadnought and some minor conversions you can make your own venerable dreadnought.

Also, I was thinking about doing a "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients" with "Honour Your Wargear." So I would have 3 Ven Dreads in Heavy support, and some Devastators with either HB or Plasma Cannons that infiltrate.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey, I like the new venerable! I only had to do a couple of small conversions to it, and I think it looks cool. of course the hand looked like crap until I decided not to use the second thumb (covered it with green stuff) and cut off the tassle on the front and replaced it with a dark angels Icon.

as for the mortis, your darn right its dark angels, stay away from it! or join the dark linen side... ;D

nothing says big boom like a mortis with 2 twin lascannons. >
Old 23 Aug 2006, 00:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
as for the mortis, your darn right its dark angels, stay away from it! or join the dark linen side... ;D
Yeah, yeah. But you don't have...er...I mean, Imperial Fists have got...erm...Damn, is Lysander it?

I wish the Fists had such specials rules and unique units as the Black Templars, Space Wolves, Blood Angels or Dark Angels...they're supposed to be a 'chapter of legend' damnit!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Maybe if you weren't so yellow you would get more attention. :P

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hey, he has red too.

as for the iron hands, I do have one question. If you take a techmarine as a commander, can you take a master or captain as your second hq choice?

could lead to some very interesting armies.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 01:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you have Scions of Mars you cannont have a Commander in your army.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 03:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I also recomend not taking chaplains if you want to stick close to the Iron Hand's fluff. The Iron Fathers (in this case, the HQ techmarine) serve sort of dual role in that chapter.

This fluff tidbit has been brought to you by Kroot fried Vespid. If you know what a vespid is, then you're probably not eating it
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Closed Thread