Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking about making an all bike army.
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thinking about making an all bike army.

The main problem is deciding if I should make a custom chapter with Be Swift With the Wind, or a RavenWing army.

In the SM codex, under the trait section when it says that bike squads can be taken as troops, does that include Attack Bike squads? And I noticed that all of the Ravenwing point costs are jacked up. But does a the Jink save and expert rider for all modes make up for that 10+ points?

Also, now that I think about it, I heard that the DA are going to be updated soon. If I was to make a Ravenwing army before that would the changes be drastic.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thinking about making an all bike army.

The special thing about ravenwing is not their regular bike squads, its some of the other stuff. for instance, while expensive, ravenwing can have a landspeeder tornado with multimelta assaultcannon. and their attack bikes have a 2+ save instead of the 3+ and 2 wounds that a normal attack bike has.

the other thing you need to look into is how do you want your army to look. see the ravenwing don't have elite choices but get bikes as troops, land speeders as fast and attack bikes as heavy. so that means you can have 12 fast attack choices in your army. on the flip side you can do something similar with the be swift as the wind trait. although it would be more like 9 bike choices (if I remember right) 3 elite and 6 troop. add to that the 3 fast choices and you come out with a total of 12 choices. the biggest difference though is that you can take heavies and have more overall choices.

so basically it should come down to do you want an all fast army or a mostly fast army that has variety.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 00:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, it would be a themed army, so nothing but bikes and speeders. Didn't relize that ravenwing ABs had 2+, but whats this about Tornadoes with MM and AC? I don't remember anything like that in the codex

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 00:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, we can do that. And a Ravenwing Landspeeder with an assault cannon and hb is the same cost as a battle company... with a jink save. Win-win, baby!

If you're going to do an all bike/speeder army, I suggest you do a Ravenwing list. Yes, the RAvenwing points are more than the normal - we get skilled rider and a jink save, though. It'll likely come down in the next codex, to match the normal guys (+5 points).

But at any rate, I'd say wait until the new 'dex comes out - you can save up some more money and get some of the new models, using an up-to-date plan.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Closed Thread