Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?
View Poll Results: What is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?
Assault Cannon & Power Fist 40 80.00%
Lascannon & Power Fist 1 2.00%
Assault Cannon & Missile Launcher 4 8.00%
Lascannon & Missile Launcher 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 15 Aug 2006, 18:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default What is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?

So... What is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?

Vote away and maybe care to explain why it is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?

I only want this poll to count for the plastic Dreadnought boxed set. So, no FW or other configurations.

Thanks for your vote!

[size=6pt](Aah, another favourite poll, notice the trend? If you wonder why? I do these poll's so I can use the results.)[/size]
Old 15 Aug 2006, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What is your favourite Dreadnought configuration?

Assault Cannons baby...they make the world go round. More effective at tank hunting than even the highly revered twin-linked Lascannon (if a little short ranged) and just as effective against infantry. Deploy by drop pod with a venerable, tank-hunting Dreadnought and that Assault Cannon can munch up that soft rear armour like nobody's business!

As for DCCW/Missile launcher...it really depends on the Dreadnought's projected role and manner of deployment. If I'm stomping up field with him, he'll need a missile launcher. But if I'm deploying by drop pod, I'll want a Heavy Flamer. It feels really good to look your opponent in the eye, holding a handful of dice, and say: "So 2+ to kill, right?" >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The best experiences I've had are with drop-podding dreadnoughts with heavy flamers, assault cannons and power fists. They rip straight through infantry, and aren't too bad against tanks.

Favorite story:
A 5-man squad of Khornate Aspiring champions (80 points each) eat through 2 tactical squads as I drop in, attempting to kill them (Out of 8 plasma and 24 bolt shots, only 1 dies). My Dreadnought drops in, and just squishes them (3 dead on the charge!)

Now, his first dread is on top of a tower, the objective. My second dread drops in behind him, and kills him with a pot-shot against the rear armour.

Unfortuneatly, his first dread blood-frenzies and just rips my first dread to shreds (6 penetrating hits) as he finishes of the last champion.
My second dread climbs up the tower (and throws his dread's corpse off), shot and killed his other dread, captures the objective, and wins the game for me.

Sorry 'bout the rambling. But still, the best plan is a simple one - stick with 120 point dreads.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 15 Aug 2006, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

first off I voted for the assault cannon as it is probably the nastier of the 2 choices. then I voted for the DCCW as the secondary, as its a waste to have the long range of the missile with the short range of the assault cannon.

however I must disagree with the twin las being inferior to the assault cannon when it comes to tank hunting. yes the rending and the four shots push the assault cannon up there, but it is still better to use the assault cannon for troop killing as the 3 higher strength and the ability to reroll far outweigh the rending ability.

example: against a land raider you would need to roll a 5+ to glance or penetrate with the lascannon, but with the assault cannon you would need a 6+ followed by a 2+ to glance or penetrate. I don't know about you but the second one is harder.

now armor 13: lascannon needs a 4+ where an assault cannon needs a 6+. granted the second dice you have to roll is gonna automatically glance, but still its the difference between a 50% shot and a 16% shot.

armor 12: lascannon 3+, assault cannon still needs a 6+

its only when you get to the armor 11 and 10 that the assault cannon starts to outshine the lascannon. thats when the insane number of shots actually makes it easier to get what you need to glance and penatrate.

Old 15 Aug 2006, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
example: against a land raider you would need to roll a 5+ to glance or penetrate with the lascannon, but with the assault cannon you would need a 6+ followed by a 2+ to glance or penetrate. I don't know about you but the second one is harder.

now armor 13: lascannon needs a 4+ where an assault cannon needs a 6+. granted the second dice you have to roll is gonna automatically glance, but still its the difference between a 50% shot and a 16% shot.
That's all very well, and you're absolutely right...but the Assault Cannon pushes out four shots to the Lascannon's one. Multiply the 16.5% probability by four and...ooo, it's a different picture now isn't it?

Mathematically, the Assault Cannon outperforms a twin-linked Lascannon.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 21:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well as the saying goes "The more [shots] the merrier [you will be when you pop a a vehicile]".
Old 15 Aug 2006, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

once again, ASSAULT CANNON!! I cannot begin to describe how much I love those things( i also like big smashy things, so powerfists are a must have too)
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 22:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

first you gotta get all four to roll a 3+ to hit. mathematically only 3 of them will. now take the 3 dice and roll them. I don't know about you, but I've had plenty of times where I've rolled 3 dice and not one came up a 6 (but then again I've rolled 3 dice before and all 3 came up 1's so... : ) you come to a 50% chance of getting a 6 on one of those dice. yes that is better than the 33% chance to get a 5 or 6 on the lascannon, but against armor 14 the assault cannon still needs to roll a 2 or higher, thus further reducing the chance to roll a penetrating or glancing.

lets see: 4 shots at 66% chance to hit = 2.64 hits
2.64 hits times 16%chance per hit to get a 6 or 42.24% = 1.115136 sixes
1.115136 sixes that have a 83% chance to get at least a glancing =.92556288 of the 4 shots will at least get a glancing against armor 14

1 shot at 66% = .66 hits, .33 misses.
reroll the .33 at 66% = .2178 which adds to the .66 for a total of .8778 hits
.8778 hits times the 33% chance to at least glance = .289674 glancing or penetrating hits.

so mathematically your right, the assault cannon is better. Mathematically. Now how many times have you rolled a 1 for a terminators save? or rolled four dice only needing one of them to rend and none do? Thats right, in the real world probability only tells us what could happen. thats why I don't rely on mathhammer. because I know from first hand accounts that what should happen and what will happen are 2 very different things. I would rather take the one rerollable shot that has a very good chance of blasting apart a tank than 4 maybe chances that I have to rely on luck to get. Plus if your outside of 24" (which is very feasible) then the 4 shots aren't going to do squat.

now having said that, I do prefer the assault cannon DCCW mix with a storm bolter. I have 3 dreads for my deathwing. 2 of them are assault cannon DCCW and that includes the new venerable, cause I don't care what noone says, it is a sexy beast.. at least after I removed the second thumb and greenstuffed over the slot where it went. the other is the lascannon missile, and thats just because my heart said "go the way of the fluffernutter..." ;D
Old 15 Aug 2006, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Assault cannons rock! so do S10 attacks! My dread once faced off with a carnifex and lived! It was on turn 6 so nothing realy happened. But they are good at auto-killling necron lords.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
so mathematically your right, the assault cannon is better. Mathematically. Now how many times have you rolled a 1 for a terminators save? or rolled four dice only needing one of them to rend and none do? Thats right, in the real world probability only tells us what could happen. thats why I don't rely on mathhammer. because I know from first hand accounts that what should happen and what will happen are 2 very different things. I would rather take the one rerollable shot that has a very good chance of blasting apart a tank than 4 maybe chances that I have to rely on luck to get. Plus if your outside of 24" (which is very feasible) then the 4 shots aren't going to do squat.
Right, right...well I don't believe in the Dice Gods, or in sod's law ruining my chances of busting a tank. I tust in probability because maths doesn't lie, it doesn't play tricks on you or decide on a whim whether or not it's going to let you win the game. Statistically, Assault Cannons are more likely to get the job done and the laws of probability are all that matter when you're rolling dice. I think you have to be either very naive or very superstitious to see re-rolls and conclude that it's a more reliable weapon because of it. Think you've got more chance of rolling 5+ on one dice than you have of rolling a 6 on two?

You have to 'rely on luck' whatever weapon you use, nothing's guaranteed, but if one option is more probable than the other then you'd be a fool not to take it. And that's how the 'real world' works...none of this superstitious nonsense.

(On a side note, against AV13, Assault Cannons and twin-linked Lascannons actually have equal chance of glancing, against AV12 the Lascannon is better.)

Closed Thread