Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault termies good at necron killing?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Aug 2006, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Assault termies good at necron killing?

Hello everybody!

Heres my question: Are assault terminators good against necrons? It seeems like they would be, lightning claws and thunder hammers ensure no pesky We'll Be Back rolls and the high armor will help me survive long enough to smash things to bits with my thunder hammers.

Here's my planned squad

3 with lightning claws, and two with thunders hammers and storm shields. And in higher points battles ill give them Furious charge, this'll run me up about 215 pts,

or would it be better to take a normal terminator squad with an assault cannon and a cyclone missile launcher? that would be about a fifty point increase so which should I take?

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 14 Aug 2006, 16:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Assault termies good at necron killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Avenger
Heres my question: Are assault terminators good against necrons? It seeems like they would be, lightning claws and thunder hammers ensure no pesky We'll Be Back rolls and the high armor will help me survive long enough to smash things to bits with my thunder hammers.
Heya,

Unfortunately, that doesn't ensure anything. The WBB roll is still preserved via the Resurrection Orb. So while you filter points into a strong, but expensive unit, the Necrons can still hold up against them and still get their rolls. So in that sense, you're not ensured of anything. And on top of it, you have the following problem: delivery. How will they get into assault? If it's from the belly of a Crusader, well, think twice. If it's after a deep strike, well, think twice.

Terminators are excellent in assault against Necrons, because the Necrons don't have much that can easily beat you in assault. Not even Pariah are all that potent, due to their slow speed and low number of attacks. Though, granted, a mob of Tomb Spyders would be trouble. Anyhow, normal warriors are definitely going to suffer under the grip of terminators, but again, you have the problem of actually getting them there without being torched in the shooting phase, and you still have the problem of the res orb keeping half your kills standing right back up for more.

Overall, you'd probably be better off with a Death Watch Kill Team and Assault Marines if you want fast, dedicated Necron removal, without the slow cumbersome and expensive problems of having Terminator armor (which is honestly overkill; necrons don't have enough attacks and profile advantage to beat even standard MEQs).

Cheers!

Old 14 Aug 2006, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Assault termies good at necron killing?

give me five minutes, some green stuff, two necron sprues, some glue and a box of space marines MUHAHAHAAAAAA!

thanks for the advice Mal, Ill go dig up the rules for Kill teams

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Old 15 Aug 2006, 07:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

in my experience terminators kick.............if they can get there :P. using a land raider to get them there is suicide cause it will just get blown up. and like mal said any self respecting necron player would just have a lord with a res orb and a warscythe wating for you. assault marines are definatly the order of the day. they are cheaper and they dont carry the same scare value as terrmies. i don't have rules for kill teams but anything that mal says works is defenatly worth doing.
have fun with those necrons

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 15 Aug 2006, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i will, wait do you mean have fun with thier corpses?

Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yes, dead necrons for everyone yay

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

to bad you cant have dead necrons cuz they teleport all away after :P

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 16 Aug 2006, 00:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh they'll stay, oh they'll stay *pounds fist into palm menacingly*

Old 16 Aug 2006, 13:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Keep on topic guys, watch the spamming!
Old 16 Aug 2006, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

sorry :'(

Closed Thread