Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Buying question?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Buying question?

I am going to get more stuff for my chapter. Should I get a Dreadnought or a Predator or a Tech-Marine with servitors or more Tactical marines or what do you think I might need?

I already have one Command squad, 2 full Tactical squads, one Razorback, and one Devastator squad.

If you could please help me out, that would be great!
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Buying question?

seeing as your army seems to be very heavy support, er, heavy at the moment, i would suggest some fast attack units to get a bit of maneuverability in there. By only relying on heavies, you will easily get out-maneuvered when going for an objective.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 06:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i would personaly get a assault squad. for only $40 australian you get 5 marines + 2 plas pistols, a storm sheild, 2 power weapons and a power fist. this adds some speed to your army doesn't cost much and you have heaps of parts left over for your bits box!

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 14 Aug 2006, 12:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

personally I would get another squad of marines. You could take the marines and place them in the razor back and use that for the fast unit, and place the other four marines in the devastator squad to help them survive.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 14:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Assault squad all the way baby :rockon:! WOOT! But seriously as Kin said you're gonna need it, I never leave home without at least one squad of ten (unless in combat patrol but thats just a technicality).
They rock at taking objectives.

Thengir, you have a point but I personally like assault squads better. I wouldn't take the predator or the dread for a while. buy an assault squad and then another marine squad and spilt it like our majesty the King of Russ said.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 14 Aug 2006, 16:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yep, I'm in the assault squad camp too, but you'll need a fairly large squad to make them worthwhile. They're no more resilient than tactical marines, but they're more expensive, more threatening and more likely to be thrown into the swirling maelstrom of close quarters battle - They'll be prioritised as targets, so you need to take enough of them to ensure they can weather the enemy onslaught in sufficient strength to make a difference.

A Power Fist for the Sergeant is a must, but everyone seems to take plasma pistols with their assault squads. I recommend you give them a couple flamers instead (depending upon your most frequent enemy of course...MEQs hate plasma), you'll lose a couple attacks, sure, but all those instant hits more than compensate! Just don't incinerate so much of the squad as to leave yourself out of charge range!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i would take plasma pistols over flamers for my assault marines because with a flamer you have less range, not great stats and if you have a flamer and are about to charge you shoot but the other player can decide what guys to remove if you kill any soooooo if hes smart he'll remove the front row putting you just out of charging range and then next turn blast you to all bugery > not good

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

I would also have to agree with the assault squad too.You will need it and they aren't that bad,make it a unit of ten,out fitted,it can be deadly,and with a chaplin w/jump pack is even more a deadly fast attack unit.
I would also say more troops.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 13:42   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If I were you I would get an asault sqaud and a dreadought.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 17:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertus Maximus
i would take plasma pistols over flamers for my assault marines because with a flamer you have less range, not great stats and if you have a flamer and are about to charge you shoot but the other player can decide what guys to remove if you kill any soooooo if hes smart he'll remove the front row putting you just out of charging range and then next turn blast you to all bugery > not good
Come on, do you really think their limited range is an issue in a squad with a maximum range of 12" and a mandate to close the distance as fast as possible?

The stats are great too; not as powerful as a plasma pistol, nor is it so capable of penetrating armour, but the fact that it generally instantly hits about five or six models, ignoring cover, more than makes up for it.

And...well, I already mentioned the range issue. Just make sure you're real close when you use them and your opponent won't be able to remove enough models to get out of range. If you really kill that many then surely that's not a bad thing? Isn't that what you wanted to do? I'd rather mop up the survivors with bolt pistol fire after incinerating an enemy unit than risk my expensive assault marines in unecessary close combat. Just because the're called Assault Marines, doesn't mean they're wasted if they don't make an assault. Against horde armys I would actually recommend you consider close combat their secondary weapon!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread