Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop pod classification - 'Transport option' or not?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Aug 2006, 19:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Drop pod classification - 'Transport option' or not?

The drop pod rules don't say the units specified can take a drop pod as a transport option, they just say that if they do take a drop pod they can't take any other transport option. The fact that drop pods are listed in the 'Transport Vehicles' section inclines me to believe they should be classed as 'transport options' though. Why do you think they've printed it that way? Why not just include Drop pods as a transport option in the same way as Rhinos and Razorbacks? Could it be GW's way of designating drop pods as 'non-transport options' but allowing them to be selected in the same way?

I agree that it would imply that they are a transport option, but because it doesn't actually say that anywhere I can't help but wonder why that is. As I see it, GW wouldn't have done it this way for no reason at all...it doesn't make sense.

The wording of the codex is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Space Marines (page 21)
"...Squad may be equipped with a drop pod (see the transport vehicles entry for details). If so they may not select any other transport option."
If it was a transport option, wouldn't it say "...may select a drop pod transport"? rather than "may be equipped with"? If it's an equipped upgrade, like frag grenades or Meltabombs then I'm not so sure we should still classify it as a Transport option.

I only ask because O Y Montyr has pointed out that you would have to use Fast Attack slots to take transport options if you were to use the 'Flesh Over Steel' trait drawback.

Your thoughts?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Drop pod classification - 'Transport option' or not?

Heya Tom,

I think the reason you're looking for, is because I don't have any restrictions on Rhinos and other standard Transports. I can take them and no mission or special rules are going to tell me I cannot buy them generally. Drop Pods have a limitation. They're only useable without permission in standard missions. Any other mission, special scenario, etc, require permission.

It's not just a transport option in the same sense as the Rhino, for balance purposes.
If you're playing Standard Missions, well, nothing has changed and you can pretend it's a transport option all you want.
But if it's a Raid, or something else, well, you're fresh out of luck unless your opponent simply says it's ok to Pod.
Drop Pods grossly unbalance mission objectives in the non-standard missions typically.

You've merely found how they distinguished the two options, as Drop Pods are a special rule with limitations, where as Rhinos are not.

Cheers!
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can an independent character join a unit that has a drop pod, and deepstrike when they do? Not a character with a command squad, but like a Techmarine, or an attached Inquisitor.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader_Jim
Can an independent character join a unit that has a drop pod, and deepstrike when they do? Not a character with a command squad, but like a Techmarine, or an attached Inquisitor.
Nope.

The character would only be able to be attached to the unit in question via the movement phase. A unit held in reserve due to using a Drop Pod would never have a chance to have a character join them at the same time that they were podding down.

Page 50, Rulebook:

"An Ind. Character may only join or leave a unit during the Movement phase."

Cheers!
Old 12 Aug 2006, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

LOL!

I think you've misunderstood me a little here, Mal. What I asked was 'Am I wrong in assuming a drop pod is not classed as a transport option?' Not 'Can I take them in any mission because they're transport options?'

Read my initial post again would you? I think you've jumped to conclusions a little here...perhaps read between the lines when it wasn't necessary.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 23:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
LOL!

I think you've misunderstood me a little here, Mal. What I asked was 'Am I wrong in assuming a drop pod is not classed as a transport option?' Not 'Can I take them in any mission because they're transport options?'

Read my initial post again would you? I think you've jumped to conclusions a little here...perhaps read between the lines when it wasn't necessary.
Heya Tom

I did actually. Maybe I simply didn't word my reply in a manner that made it obvious. Basically, what I meant to answer more or less, was that you are not wrong for assuming that. The drop pod is not classed as a transport option, because of it's special rules. It's not a typical transport in that sense. It's a transport with "conditions" so why would be classed as a transport in the same manner as the normal transports? That's what I was getting at.

Cheers!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 14:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Does anybody here even use drop pods? I have never met anybody who did.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 13 Aug 2006, 14:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Avenger
Does anybody here even use drop pods? I have never met anybody who did.
Yes,

Many don't use them because they don't have a means to represent the pods. However, if you're creative or spend some money and make and/or buy some pods, they're quite fun to use.

I use them in moderation, meaning, not a lot. I've never used more than three pods, even in a large game.

I usually use at least one pod though. Namely, for my Death Watch Kill Team, as they get to use a Drop Pod, even if it's not a Space Marine army.

Cheers!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 15:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cheers, Mal.

I use a single drop pod in some games, but I plan to use more in the future...they're not all that effective on their own. Delivering a single unit into the heart of the enemy lines is just like offering them up as a sacrifice. They tend to be able to destroy a single unit before being overwhelmed. But en masse I think it might work out as an effective shock tactic, and an effective means of severely disrupting your opponent's plans.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 15:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Cheers, Mal.

I use a single drop pod in some games, but I plan to use more in the future...they're not all that effective on their own. Delivering a single unit into the heart of the enemy lines is just like offering them up as a sacrifice. They tend to be able to destroy a single unit before being overwhelmed. But en masse I think it might work out as an effective shock tactic, and an effective means of severely disrupting your opponent's plans.
I tend to use a single pod as well, but I find that it's great for simply putting a healthy load of power armor on an objective or off in an area where I'm going to hold a quarter, etc. I rarely throw them at enemy lines as it does truly get them killed against good opponents. Otherwise, I do so with Death Watch when facing Xenos scum. It's wonderful to drop a Fear of Darkness Libby right near a bunch of Ld7~8 aliens and watch them run to the hills. :P

Cheers!