Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Malal dedicated SM
Closed Thread
Old 07 Aug 2006, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Malal dedicated SM

Has anyone bothered to fluff this out? I just read the background on Malal, and he seems like the only Chaos God I'd build a chapter to.

Any thoughts?

Wanax
Old 07 Aug 2006, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Malal dedicated SM

For those of you who don't know who he is?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malal is the renegade 5th Chaos God in early editions of the fictional universes of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000

In the storyline, both for Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000, Malal was exiled from the rest of the Chaos gods, but whether this was a self-imposed exile is not clear. Regardless of the reason, Malal lives only to destroy the other gods and their followers in the name of revenge. Also known as "The Outcast God", "The Lost God" and "The Renegade God", Malal represents Chaos' indiscriminate tendency toward destruction, even of itself. The nature of Malal's powers are parasitic, as the Renegade God grows in power when the others do. The god's sacred number is 11, while his symbol is a skull bisected down the middle, one half white, one half black. Malal is the god that the lower classes turn to to avenge themselves on the higher classes who attempt to strangle and stop them from their true glory. He is also the god of those who have been wronged, but lack the power to correct this. His followers come from people whose hatred of Chaos becomes so strong, that they willingly bond with Chaos to fight it at its own level.

Malal is described as being both wolf-like and crocodilian in appearance, yet still holding a humanoid form. Said to have 6 fingers on each hand, and 3 eyes on his head, Malal is also said to have sets of teeth that resemble lions, sharks, cows, and rats.

The concept of the 5th Chaos god "Malal" was created by comics writers John Wagner and Alan Grant along with Malal's champion for the Warhammer Fantasy world, Kaleb Daark, in the Citadel Miniatures Journals for Spring 1986 and 1987. In the comics, Kaleb Daark would destroy the followers of the other 4 Chaos gods (Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne, and Slaanesh) with his daemon axe "Dreadaxe", which had a head resembling that of a shark or possibly a pterodactyl, and a shaft of bone. The animate axe, a gift from Malal, experienced hunger and would feed on the souls of its victims. The Battle cry of Kaleb Daark was "Dreadaxe thirsts for you!".

Use of Malal in further Games Workshop productions was halted, as Games Workshop did not own the intellectual property to the concept of Malal - the comic's authors did.

The memory of Malal did not die with the ability for Games Workshop to use it. The idea of Malal is continued on by veterans of the Warhammer scene primarily through the internet via BBS (bulletin board system) and stories (such as "Divine Judgment") so Malal continues to survive, occasionally becoming the choice deity of veteran players playing Chaos. Because of Games Workshops' inability to legally use the god in their Games' storyline, Malal is surrounded by a cloud of unanswerable questions that may very well be the cause of his continued existence.

The term "Doomed Ones" also go along with Malal, although there is uncertainty how exactly. Doomed Ones are often thought to be the chosen human champions of Malal, however in the old Realm of Chaos Slaves to Darkness rulebook the Doomed Ones were the daemonic entities of Malal and are described as "bipedal lizard daemons that stand almost a head taller than a human" and had "soulblades" which were "forged from the soul of burning hatred taken from a Witchhunter that died fighting a Daemon". It is widely thought, however, that Malal has no daemons of his own.

In Games Workshop's Chaos Space Marine Codex, a number of references were made that many feel to be an attempt by Games Workshop to legally bring back the idea of Malal, or to remind players that perhaps the company has not forgotten about the Outcast God. The two widely recognized references were the appearance of a daemon weapon you could give to your leaders called a "Dreadaxe", explained further in the caption that it was used to kill other daemonic entities.

The other reference was to a picture towards the back of the codex, showing other possible painting schemes for the models. One of the examples was a group entitled the "Sons of Malice". What caught many people's attention was that the colors used were the bisecting black/white design of Malal's symbol, and how Malice was just a short jump to Malal. More on the Sons of Malice was in Games Workshop monthly publication White Dwarf, specifically White Dwarf 303(US WD 302). In it the Sons of Malice were supposedly prone to fighting in complete silence, and were excommunicated for a set of disgusting rituals that were reported close to cannibalism. This article did nothing to stem the questions about the connection between Malal and the Sons of Malice. At the very end of a passage, it was mentioned that the Sons of Malice also fight against other followers of Chaos frequently; also whoever the ritual was done in the name of in the story was never revealed.

In Warhammer Fantasy some speculate that Be'Lakor, the Dark Master, the Greater Daemon of Chaos Undivided, who was introduced in the Storm of Chaos campaign is Games Workshop's attempt to bring back the idea of Malal to the Fantasy game. Be'Lakor was first introduced in Games Workshop's Mordheim line (set some five hundred years before the more recent events in the Warhammer game) as the enigmatic "Shadowlord", before his history was elaborated upon over the course of the Albion and Storm of Chaos worldwide campaigns.

Malal is not the only version of an additional Chaos god, at least in the fantasy world of Warhammer. In The Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Something Rotten in Kislev, Zuvassin the Great Undoer and Necoho the Doubter were introduced as two renegade Chaos deities - but not specifically as number five and six. Also, the Chaos Dwarf god, Hashut the Farther of Darkness, is said to be a creature that fled from the powers of Chaos. Games Workshop wrote more than once that there are more than four Chaos Gods and that a continuity of power existed from mundane daemons to greater ones up to the God status. Numbering of Chaos Gods has yet to be agreed upon by scholars.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 18:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am actually currently in the middle of making a chaos army named the sons of malal. To be as fluffy as possible there will be no demons, however possessed marines and vehicles will be allowed (think relictors here.... you know using chaos against itself, plan on having possessed models be chained up like they are being forced to fight) I also am using loyalist models for like 80% of the army so that I can claim that they have just recently fallen to Malal...

you should see the artwork I've drawn up for my demon prince...

but thats for another forum.

as for a loyalist army that follows Malal, I don't see it happening. At least not without a level of secrecy that makes the Dark Angels look like blabbermouths.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 18:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I asked because I didn't want to recreate the wheel and couldn't really find anyone doing anything with it.

I'm considering a chapter along the SoM chapter, but calling it the Children of Malal.

I agree that they should be changed by Chaos, but not into hidious forms. I rather prefer the idea of a zombie like army of swift CC dedicated SM. Of course, prefered enemy being other chaos forces, but adapting the SM trait/drawback system in reverse to facilitate the fluff and/or tactics.

Wanax
Old 09 Aug 2006, 09:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Check out the Chaos Codex: The Sons of Malace are believed to be Malal followers.

Children of Malal sounds a bit weak try something like Warriors of Malal, Sounds a bit more like they mean business rather than waving flowers under the noses of chaos.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 11:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgus
Check out the Chaos Codex: The Sons of Malace are believed to be Malal followers.

Children of Malal sounds a bit weak try something like Warriors of Malal, Sounds a bit more like they mean business rather than waving flowers under the noses of chaos.
Yeah, I was thinking nephews of Malace, but then again I wanted something that seems unassuming yet with malignant undertones. How about Bearers of Malal's Bones (Bomb) for short :

wanax
Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wouldn't the sons of Malal not have a demon prince because Malal doesn't have demons?

Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

2 things: first it seems like this might be heading into the territory of another forum, as Malal, being a chaos god, would most likely be better off discussed in the chaos forums.

second, it stands to reason that malal would grant his followers boons and powers akin to a daemon prince in exchange or as reward for attacking and destroying followers of the other chaos gods. I think that the only thing that the Malalian marines (yeah I just made that up, gonna patent too...) wouldn't be able to take are those items and units that are distinct to the 4 chaos gods. So no bloodthirster, berzerker, noise marine, plague marine, screamer etc... Unless you could write up a good enough reason fluff wise, and even then I would say its sketchy at the very best.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 14:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Certainly they would be SM, no CSM, and certainly any boon would be akin to the traits system.

Malal, the god of retribution, would grant things such as furious charge, prefered enemy, flesh over steal, etc.

I do not see any CSM abilities, thus I put it on this board. the Sons of Malace would be for all entents, vanilla SM with traits/drawbacks as points driven upgrades.

Wanax
Old 10 Aug 2006, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright, I have given it a couple of days thought, and I've decided that if we were to use the trait system for Malal, the ones listed in the Codex don't really fit. As such, I have taken the liberty to create three new traits, and listed an additional fourth trait, taken directly from the Codex.

Suffer not the rival to live- This trait functions exactly like the trait Suffer not the alien to live, with the exception that the Preferred Enemy is Chaos, a choice not normally available with that trait. Everything else about said trait functions exactly as listed in the Codex.

This seemed an obvious change, as Malal's main enemy is the other Chaos gods. It's well balanced because there has only been a very minor change, and probably wouldn't require playtesting.

Favored by Malal- Any unit listed in the Codex that would normally be able to take 10 models may instead take 11, at the normal cost per model.

Any unit that begins the game with 11 models is said to be favored by Malal, and will be allowed to re-roll any failed Morale check.

Malal's sacred number is 11, but unfortunately nothing in the Marine Codex is allowed to have 11 models. Furthermore, even if given the chance, most players wouldn't take the odd number 11, because of the victory point rules. This trait would give players not only the ability, but a mechanic reason to take Malal's favored number. If anything would require play testing it would be the Morale bonus, but clever and experienced players will note how I came up with this particular boon. If unbalanced perhaps and additional point cost could be added.

Major Drawback
Pre-Hersay Weaponry- May not take any selections of the following: Librarian, Techmarine, Land Speeder, Land Raider Crusader.

May only Take 0-1 selections of the following: Terminator Command Squad, Terminator Squad, Terminator Assault Squad, Dreadnought, Scout Squad, Scout Bike Squad.

This particular list was made based on Chaos limitations, at least so far as I could remember them. If the Chaos Codex either didn't list something, or listed it in a very different way, it probably ended up on this list. Logically the Sons of Malace would have broken from the Imperium at about the same time as the rest of the Chaos Legions, but has obvious reasons why they would want to remain different then the rest of the Chaos forces, hence, using a more Loyalist army selection.

Minor Drawback
We stand alone- As per Codex.

Who would stand with them?

I'm not really an expert on Malal fluff, but I think this list of traits largely fits the bill. Of course you'll need opponent's permission to use these traits, but they are in my best opinion, well balanced and fair.

Personally I think these traits are better than what could be created with the Chaos Codex, but if we only used the basic traits from the Marine Codex, it would probably be better to use the Chaos Codex.

Are their any questions or comments?
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Closed Thread