Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is your favourite Predator Tank configuration?
View Poll Results: What is your favourite Predator Tank configuration?
Autocannon and Heavy Bolters 24 24.00%
Autocannon and Lascannons 8 8.00%
TL Lascannon and Heavy Bolters 41 41.00%
TL Lascannon and Lascannons 27 27.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 Aug 2006, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default What is your favourite Predator Tank configuration?

So... what is your favourite Predator Tank configuration?

Vote away and maybe care to explain why it is your favourite Predator Tank configuration.
Stam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2006, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What is your favourite Predator Tank configuration?

Well it's got to be the Lascannon and Heavy Bolters for me. It depends who I'm fighting of course. Against Eldar, I might be better off with an Autocannon (almost as effective against AV12, more effective against troops with 4+ saves and cheaper), but even then it'd only be if points were tight. Sponson weapons have got to be Heavy Bolters as far as I'm concerned; if your Predator is not moving then it's wasting it 'vehicle' status. What's more, a single stunned or shaken result will render all three weapons useless, whereas a Devastator squad (the alternative stationary heavy support choice) could keep on shooting. I just don't think it's worth standing still with a Predator and using it as a fire base, it should be out there, blocking lines of sight with that chunky front armour.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2006, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Lascannon + Heavy Bolters for me too, for basically the same reason as Tom says. Lascannon can pose a threat to vehicles, Heavy Bolters can mow down infantry. Both can be fired on the move, and it's not too expensive or too scary as to be a top priority for enemy guns. Overall, just a great config.
charn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2006, 18:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I hate to agree with Tom , but if I take a predator it is always an anihilator with heavy bolter sponsons. the idea of taking a tank and literally having to sit still to use it to full effect just doesn't sit right with me. If I wanted to be immobile I would play Imperial guard. No I need to be moving as much as possible every turn and with the heavy bolter sponsons I can do that and still fire all the weapons. Granted the heavy bolters are wasted on tank hunting and the lascannon isn't great against most troopers (though everyone loves to see a large hole blasted straight through a marine now and then), but overall effectiveness this is the one I would want.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 16:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

I chose Twin-linked and HB because as 'nid hunters, I think it would be the best choice for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2006, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Same as... wow... everyone else so far... Huh. I picked this combination because It provides a good balance of tank and infantry destruction.

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Invader_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2006, 16:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I found that preds with the TL las+ HBs are only good for hunting transports and troops. Because the las can take down the transport and the HB can take down the troops getting out. Otherwise, the HBs are usually useless against most vehicles. (Except rhinos and trukks/buggies/etc).
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer Zero
I found that preds with the TL las+ HBs are only good for hunting transports and troops. Because the las can take down the transport and the HB can take down the troops getting out. Otherwise, the HBs are usually useless against most vehicles. (Except rhinos and trukks/buggies/etc).
Ummm, just so you know, even though the transport is bought for the unit it is transporting, it is still technically a separate unit... so no firing the las to blow up a rhino only to shoot at the members with the heavy bolters.

But that is of course not the reason to take an anihilator with heavy bolter sponsons, its so that you can move and fire all the weapons, not just the one. If you buy the anihilator with las sponsons and move even a fraction of an inch you can only fire one of the las's (two if you bought power of the machine spirit, but that wouldn't really be worth it). The ability to move and still fire all of the guns on the anihilator is the whole reason for buying sponsons in the first place. Otherwise just save the points and don't buy any sponsons.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Autocannon w Heavy bolter sponsons.

Cheap
BS4
Highly efective Vs. Light Vehicles
More than one won't hurt the point pool

Usually, SM aren't hurting for Lascannons anyway.

8)
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Linked Las in the turret and bolters on the sponsons, because that varient is the swiss army knife of Predator Tanks.