Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My termie Libie prototype
Closed Thread
Old 03 Aug 2006, 00:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default My termie Libie prototype

Ok, I was concidering building a Terminator Librarian, and I wasn't sure if you can actually do this:

Epistolary: 115pts
Terminator armor: Xpts
Power Fist: Xpts
Power Sword: Xpts
Storm of the Emporer's Wrath
Vortex of Doom: Xpts
Total cost: 210pts

I don't think I missed anything. just say if any of that won't work! Also, I was thinking of adding a termie command squad...maybe...

[size=12pt][Please read the forum rules. Posting individual wargear prices is strictly against it. Thanks! -Mal][/size]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 03 Aug 2006, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: My termie Libie prototype

You missed one thing: the power sword is redundant. The Librarian comes with a force weapon, which is better that a power sword, and free. Save yourself the points.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 03 Aug 2006, 01:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, first off... I'm not sure, but I think listing specific point costs for wargear is against forum rules. We'll both have to check.
But anyway, you've got a REALLY expensive character here, and a lot of his stuff isn't necessary. Starting with the power sword, Librarians come equipped with a force weapon, this is better than a power sword. The fist is okay, but I wouldn't take it. Here's why: anything that you might need a fist for can be dealt with by the force weapon, at I 5 or 6. But if really must, I would upgrade it to a thunder hammer or chain fist, each has the same capabilities but can pack more punch(snicker).
As for the powers you've selected, they're kind of redundant. Each has only twelve inch range, is a small blast, and is used instead of shooting. There are few instances where either of these will be effective, let alone both. I would drop one or both, preferably vortex of doom: it's expensive, and can potentially harm your expensive character. I would take a look at Steam's guide to Space Marine to find a better combo.
And as for the command squad, I think I would definitely take one, especially with dual assault cannons.
HQ's are better if left slim and trim. While kitting one out may seem like a good idea, he will rarely make back his points. Librarians are already expensive, but they don't need a lot to make them great. I would just give him termie armor and a squad, give him cheaper powers, and a storm bolter.
Hope this helps.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 03 Aug 2006, 01:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, the ides was to create a CC unit that could deal with many charging 'nids (being that they are literally my only opponents!)

But I do see the error in there. I had no idea how powerful a force weapon actually is!
Quote:
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 03 Aug 2006, 01:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

About those many charging 'nids... you don't have a prayer. I've thrown much more tooled up squads at them and been wiped out to a man. Good luck to you, but don't expect to last long in CC.

Another thing: although you cannot insta-kill synapse creatures, a force weapon is NOT an inta-kill. It just keeps dealing wounds till the taget is dead. Don't let some weaslily 'nid player say you can't kill his Tyrant with it. You can. You should. You will.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 03 Aug 2006, 14:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, thanks! I didn't know much about Librarians in the first place though...

so, I will re-model it and post the changes!
Quote:
Old 03 Aug 2006, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Deloach
ok, thanks! I didn't know much about Librarians in the first place though...
Me neither, but I gather 'Fear of the darkness' is effective against the likes of Imperial Guard and Tyranid gribblies out of synapse range. A tactic suggested by some folks round here has been to teleport/drop pod your Librarian into the enemy's midst and hit 'em with fear, sending some of them packing while the heavy weapons and storm bolters mop up their mates.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Aug 2006, 00:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, I'll try that! also, being that he is in termie armor, he can teleport, right?
Quote:
Old 04 Aug 2006, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Like the Codex says - characters in Terminator Armour can Deep Strike if the scenario allows it.

As an aside... am I the only one that finds the Space Marine Deep Strike rules idiotic? Terminator squads and Drop Pods can DS regardless of the scenario, while Assault Marines and Landspeeders can only be used in scenario-permitting circumstances. This assumes that the Space Marine fleet always has superiority and is in the right location, whereas the Thunderhawk Gunship, the ubiquetious lynchpin of the Space Marine war machine, is not?
Old 04 Aug 2006, 14:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Deloach
well, the ides was to create a CC unit that could deal with many charging 'nids (being that they are literally my only opponents!)
A librarian isn't a bad choice to deal with multi-wound Tyranid monstrous creatures - although, as others have said, the force weapon that an epistolary comes equipped with is probably better than either a force weapon or a power fist for that purpose. Against swarms of gaunts, however, you're better off with basic, non-souped-up troops - basic marines with two attacks ('Take the fight to them!' trait) will narrowly beat them in close combat, for equal points. Against genestealers - just don't. Shoot them instead.
Closed Thread