Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is your favourite Special weapon?
View Poll Results: What is your favourite special weapon?
Flamer 6 10.17%
Meltagun 21 35.59%
Plasmagun 32 54.24%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2006, 14:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default What is your favourite Special weapon?

So... what is your favourite Special Weapon?

Vote away and maybe care to explain why it is your favourite special weapon.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to h01laatyaboy3 Send a message via MSN to h01laatyaboy3
Default Re: What is your favourite Assault weapon?

I voted for the flamer; Mainly because of the fact, that if your playing against tyranids, with so many numbers against you, you can take some out, before you have to get into close combat with 5 genestealers or 10 guants, or termagaunts. The only reason I didn't say Plasma Gun, is that 1) it might over heat but not likely, and 2) it is rapid fire so you can assault if you rapid fire.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

At the risk of sounding like a plasma hoarder, I like the Plasmagun - it has the range, the firepower, and even the dakka. I use Meltaguns quite often too, but they don't hold water with a shooty squad who will never get in range.

The Flamer I dislike because it has the same firepower as a Bolter, and much less range - whatever you can do with the Flamer at 8", you could have done with a Bolter starting at 24".
Old 01 Aug 2006, 16:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I like the meltagun personally. It can insta quite a few things and pop almost any tank fairly well. Of all the weapons my Tau have faced melta guns of all shapes and sizes are one of the most frustrating to deal with.

Old 01 Aug 2006, 16:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
The Flamer I dislike because it has the same firepower as a Bolter, and much less range - whatever you can do with the Flamer at 8", you could have done with a Bolter starting at 24".
Amen, I have been saying the same thing for years, but noone wants to listen. "but they automatically hit" yeah, but at an 8 inch range your gonna have a few rounds where it ain't doing a thing, one round where you will be able to fire it, and then the rest of the game you will be in hand to hand which means you can't fire it again. give me any thing else any day of the week (I'll even take the laspistol over it, at least that gives you an extra attack in hth)

I voted for the plasma gun, but I had to think about it for a minute or two because the melta gun is almost as good to me. the range might be more for the plasma, but the melta is stronger, doesn't overheat (which admittedly is not that big a threat for marines) and if you can get to half range gets 2d6 penetration. Like I said, complete toss up for me. However the range and rapid fire ability of the plasma is what pushed it over the edge...
Old 01 Aug 2006, 16:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Because of the 4th Ed Rapid Fire rule - The Plasma Gun.

Good at range, can deal with almost anything you will be facing and its good up close. Easily the most effective weapon.

Although I do take lots of Flamers and Meltas because I use Salamanders.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Plasma, hands down.

And it's not due to marine killiness. It's not due to monstrous creature killiness.
My plasma kills FireWarriors, Guardsmen, Gaunts, Daemon Princes, XV8's and Hive Tyrants all the same.

It's simply the most flexible multipurpose gun in the imperial armory, game wise.

It has a small danger tag, but that's the price for such usability.

Meltaguns are great, but they're low ranged and single shot.
Flamers are great, but they're even less ranged and single shot.

Both are only singularly good at killing a single infantry type and/or vehicle type.

Plasma on the other hand can:

1 - Roast any infantry in the game, small to large, it doesn't matter.
2 - Has the same shots as the bolter. So it's more effective, yet still allows for any target, and will still be effective.
3 - Bust vehicles, quite decently. Just as good as an Autocannon.
4 - Hit you at 24 or under range. Your choice.
5 - Ignores every armor save under the sun. Even the 6+ all the way to the 2+.
6 - It works, on the move.

Plasma very much is similar for imperials to how Starcannons are for Eldar. It's not that they ignore 2+ saves that makes them so good. It's the fact that it's multi-shot, high strength and good AP combined into one gun that allows you to kill better than your actual anti-infantry guns, yet also kills the things that your anti-infantry based guns cannot touch.

Plasma is just flexible. It's great. And it has that great side effect of melting the user. That's just cool.

Cheers!
Old 01 Aug 2006, 17:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Meltagun.

I can't speak for normal marine armies where I guess it doesn't work the same, but my Wolves are assaulty. Due to lack of heavy weapons in the army, they all move forwards and thus most things end up within 12" at some point. The plasma prevents me assaulting, which is a major downside for Wolves.

I also don't like the chance of killing your own troops. Even though it is covered by points cost and fair, I get attached to my troops and don't like them dying. I even get attached to my guardsmen, not a good idea since they die even more often.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 17:12   #9 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Plasma Gun.

Simply because it's the only weapon that can earn back it's points. I myself am not keen on special weapons, i prefer using loads of bolter's. Except Guard because grenade launchers are truly awesome.

Stam- have you done a favorite close combat weapon e.g. power-fists, power weapons?

Old 01 Aug 2006, 21:03   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Meltagun easily!

It can destroy any vehicle and instant kill most characters. Plus it is an assualt weapon so I can charge once I've fired it.

I've killed a lot of stuff with a meltagun.

All that melty goodness!!* ;D