Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A chapter of Chaplains.....
Old 31 Jul 2006, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default A chapter of Chaplains.....

Hello.

Well my favorite unit for Space Marines is the Chaplain, they have such respect, reverence, nobility in their cause and they rock on the table top. Now i know it's not possible to have a army of Chaplains but I've packed in gaming for a few years so i want to start a new project. The basic idea is they are all essentially like Chaplains, like the Terax Guard are a regiment of Commissars. But there are a few things i need help with though.

a.) What would be a good name for them? Like i said before they are like a Chapter of Chaplains. My imagination has crashed so i need help with names. Like e.g. The Emperors Wardens, Brothers of Reverence.

b.) Which Chapter Traits would best represent an army of Chaplains and which disadvantages also.

c.) Thanks!

I apologize for the lack of fluff, if you do want to know more just ask.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A chapter of Chaplains.....

a.) What would be a good name for them? Like i said before they are like a Chapter of Chaplains. My imagination has crashed so i need help with names. Like e.g. The Emperors Wardens, Brothers of Reverence.

The Emperor's Will Made Manifest

No?

How about The Holy Angels. That sounds cool.

b.) Which Chapter Traits would best represent an army of Chaplains and which disadvantages also.

The advantage with free CCW and Bolt Pistols for all Tactical Squads.

c.) Thanks!

yep.
SpacePuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 00:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

'No mercy, no respite' - Would seem to represent the Chaplain's wild ferocity and utterly fearless nature. It would also be a sound choice tactically for an army predominantly focused on close combat.

'Uphold the honour of the Emperor' - Could be taken for much the same reason. One of the reasons Chaplains may be deemed fearless is because of their unflinching faith in the Emperor, regardless of seemingly insurmountable odds. This is another good trait advantage for an assaulty army, because although the invulnerable save is useless in close combat, it'll help keep your Marines alive as they close the distance with the enemy. It may also inspire you to make some daring charges across open ground (what with this being such a heavily themed army).

'Flesh over steel' - Chaplains lead from the front where the fighting is thickest. Though I have no doubt they fully understand the advantages conferred by the application of armoured vehicles, centuries of bitter close-quarters fighting has no doubt caused them to regard combat predominantly in such straightforward terms as 'metal meeting flesh', stripping them somewhat of the wider battlefield picture that I'm sure would be more prevelant in the mind of a Space Marine Commander.

'Death before dishonour' - Can represent your army's unwillingness to accept defeat and cut it's losses, determined to battle on unto victory or death. 'For the Emperor!' And so on, and so fourth.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Lemme think...

What's a good one? *the Ever Vigilant* *Dominatio de Verum* (Lords of truth- my favorite one so far)

Probably the one that gives them more Dreads... Think about it- those who have preached the truth for years know it best..

c.) Thanks!

No Sweat

I apologize for the lack of fluff, if you do want to know more just ask.
Please. Enlighten us
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 02:14   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Thanks 'Tom' What you advised was exactly what i was looking for! thanks mate.

EDIT: Names spelt/grammar incorrectly.

Open to new ideas.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 04:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Furious Envoys?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 06:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I actually had this very same idea last night. like, a chapter of chaplains in training, led by master chaplains. it seems awesome to me.

i like "Lords of Reverence" but also, i think "lords of prayer" might sound cool in latin.

Skeletal feel!
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 14:52   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
1.) Adeptus Sanctus

2.) Dominatus Ex Sanctimonia = Masters of Sanctity

3.) Dominus Ex Venratio = Lords of Reverence

4.) Dignus Sanctus Custodiae = Thy Sacred Wardens

5.) Dignus Imperator Iratus = Thy Emperors Wrath

6.) Dignus Imperator Fortuno Thy Emperors Blessed

7.) Dominus Ex Vespera = Lords of Prayer
Quote:
i like "Lords of Reverence" but also, i think "lords of prayer" might sound cool in latin.
Are you sure you got your latin right? I may be mistranslating what you wrote, and you may correct me and make me look stupid here, but for example, I think you may want

'Domini Precum' for Lords of prayer,

and

'Iratus tui Imperatoris' for Thy Emperor's Wrath

I hope that in suggesting these examples I do not sound unnecessarily like I am trying to be a smart-alec. If you wana use the Latin that you got there, then it will do fine, after all who says that in the 41st millenia that the Latin would not be corrupted beyond understanding by modern Latin scholars. I only offer these corrections because it looks like you want to use the Latin titles. If this is stupidly pedantic then ignore this post, if you want me to check latin then I dont mind helping.
bigwulfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 14:57   #9 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Ha! Ha! Ha! I've been using an online dictionary. I might need some help from you 'bigwulfen' that's the last time i use online translators thingys. :P

Just ignore those names i suggested, as they are horribly incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out 'bigwulfen' otherwise i would have had a very odd sounding army. Yeah all help on this is welcome. I might turn this into a project where others can help with fluff and maybe new units.

All suggestions are welcome.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 15:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think Tom hit the nail on the head as far as traits go.

For a name, I'm fond of "Keepers of the Faith", but I have to point out that they might not necessarily have a name that points out how religious they are. The Word Bearers are the Chaos equivalent of what you're suggesting, and while I haven't read the books myself, I've heard that they turned to Chaos because they wanted to treat the Emperor as if he was a god, and the Emperor didn't want them to, or something along those lines. Most Space Marines weren't actually as fanatical as the rest of the Imperium, and view the Emperor more as the cream of the crop rather than an omnipotent deity. This means that the very first members of this chapter might not have been as religious as is being planned on now, and therefore may have picked a more neutral name, one that's less religious in nature.

Don't dispare however, as a lot can change in 10,000 years, and even though the members alive at the second founding might not have viewed the Emperor as deific doesn't mean that the current members wouldn't. Basically what I'm saying is the chapter is still viable fluff wise, but might not have a religious name like "Keepers of the Faith".

But hey, it's your fluff as they say, do with it as you will.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Tech-Commander Archive is offline   Reply With Quote