Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I have a new problem (sorta...)
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default I have a new problem (sorta...)

ok, heres the deal. I have gotten ahold of, over the years, a lot of rogue trader era marines. Actually 49 of them.

the list goes:

chaplain on bike
4 veteran sergeants (3 power fist bolt pistol, 1 chain sword bolt pistol- well actually its a needle pistol, but I count it as a bolt pistol)
4 missile launcher marines
2 flamers
1 plasma gun
32 marines w/ bolters.
5 plastic terminators from the original space hulk (I count these as this came out before second edition did)

I love the looks of the models, but they don't fit that well in my dark angels army as they are all newer models. So that causes a problem, as I want to use them, but I don't really know if I want to go with a pre heresy style dark angels, a diy chapter, or even maybe a chaos army (maybe even fallen angels). I do know that whichever I choose, I got to get ahold of some more things for the army, like some original dreadnoughts and rhinos, and some more bikes (both regular and attack)

So the question is which should I do? I am kind of leaning toward a pre heresy dark angels, but that is only because I plan on collecting the whole chapter, and that would help out immensely. but having said that it is only a moderate lean, and I could easily be talked into one of the others, or another one that I hadn't even thought of.

Oh, and Tom Norman.... No Imperial Fists!
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: I have a new problem (sorta...)

Well, here's an ideal solution; why not make a pre-heresy Im-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
No Imperial Fists!
:-X

The models may look very different indeed but if you paint them exactly in the same colours and style as your existing Dark Angels, mounting them on the same size and shape bases as their equivilent models, they may well fit in better than you expect (just appearing to wear the older version power/tactical dreadnought armour). They could be your most revered veterans, wearing such 'relics' as badges of honour.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I had actually thought of that too. since I'm collecting a complete chapter (over time) maybe if I used them as say the 3rd company and the rest of my marines as 4th and 4th company... The only problem will come when It comes time to get the vehicles. I could easily convert the vindicator, but the predator and whirlwinds will be a problem. the predators because I can't seem to find the lascannon predator tops, and the whirl wind because, well it wasn't released until late 2nd edition.

the dreadnoughts shouldn't be a problem. and since land raiders are restricted to the deathwing, they shouldn't be a problem either. I think right now my main concern will be getting some of the characters (a librarian, commander, command squad) and some assault jump packs (those will be a real problem...)

Should be really fun to do though, whatever I decide to finally do. ;D
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well good luck. You've looked at the Space Marine classic range on the Games Workshop direct sales website I take it? I'm almost certain I saw 'classic' jump packs in the collectors guide...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 15:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

SPACE WOLVES!!!!

Your termis could be Wolf Guard, those boltermarines could be grey hunters, the chaplain on a bike could be added to a bike squad as a wolf guard or even as the wolf lord himself. and you could add the four vet sergants as just blood claws.

In terms of original models, i saw a really old school Bjorn The Fell-Handed dreadnought on eBay not too long ago...and you can always get the leman russ model (yes, the accual primarch model...but before russ was the wolf lord)

all that and you can add a Leman Russ Exterminator, which rocks. Hard.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 16:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nah, do it the right way: Salamanders.

That, or just make a small legion of your own...
Old 30 Jul 2006, 17:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

can't do salamanders as I don't have enough flamers, meltas or plasmas to do it right.
And I won't do them as space wolves as they don't have a feral look to them (trust me, later on when I decide to do space wolves again they WILL look the part.

Right now, I think that I'm gonna go ahead and do them as my 3rd company, but paint them as pre heresy. the thought of the 3rd company being rewarded for their achieving the third company is having a suit of original pre heresy armor is just way too appealing. plus that will allow me to have some fallen ready if someone else wants to play. now I just need to get those dreads and bikes and landspeeders and rhinos and.....
Old 30 Jul 2006, 17:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally I think you could get away with it by just mixing up the squads. What I mean is instead of putting all the old models in a unit and all the new models in a different unit, you could make it half and half to keep either one from looking out of place.

I ended up doing something similar to "hide" my earlier, poorly painted marines in groups of newer, better painted (still not good) marines, and it worked out pretty well for me.

p.s. That was hilarious Tom. :P
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Closed Thread