Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Teleporting Terminators
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2006, 02:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Teleporting Terminators

I was thinking... If I took a Teleport Homer on my Bike Seargent then I could unload a nasty surprise withan Assault Terminator squad... Are Assault Terminators the wrong choice? If not, what combo of weapons would work best (I'm thinking 3/5 Lightning Claws, 2/5 Thunder Hammers for 5 or 10-man squads)? If not, Then just Termniators with Assault Cannons or Heavy Flamers? Should I attach a Chaplain in higher points or always have him at the cost of more Terminators?

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 28 Jul 2006, 02:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Teleporting Terminators

Here's the deal: Nasty shock, yes. No one likes seeing terminators dropping in to play. However, assault terminators do have one drawback... They just ain't that good. For starters, they can't actually assalt if they deep strike. This means that your nasty surprise will get to stand around holding their codpeices for a full turn, taking all sorts of incoming fire before they get to shake hands with teh enemy. No, IMHO assault termies, if you field them at all, need a crusader delivery system.

Now normal termies with the ever popular assault cannon (anyone else think that gun went from the worst gun the the game to the best in just one codex update?) with deep strike and then lay down a hail of fire while the get ready to rock. They are a much better choice for the telehomer. In fact, my scouts pull that stunt all the time, and it works quite well.

Of course, some may disagree with me. After all, what do i know? I don't play assault termies at all, and i don't run any vehicles, so maybe some one can quote some real combat experience here.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have actually been having a hard time thinking about Assault Terminators myself. Wether I should take them or not. I was planning to use them via deepstrike, but as Bustafer pointed out, you can't assault after you deep strike. Which in my opinion is just stupid. Kinda takes away the 'strike' from deep strike if you plan on deepstriking assault marines.... : But normal terminators work very well in this role. Can you say two assault cannons opening fire as soon as you teleport...? That's what I'll probably end up doing. Normal terminators do pretty well against tanks too. If you find yourself teleporting rather close to an enemy tank, then you could have 5 powerfist attacks in a 5 man squad. And you can outfit them with chainfists which are even better at taking out armour. I say normal terminators.

Go with something like this:
3x terminators (A chainfist or two? Depends on your points that you can spend)
1x Sargeant with power sword and stormbolter
2x terminators with assault cannons
Old 28 Jul 2006, 12:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

deep striking assault terminators is never a good thing. they are actually the only unit that should never deep strike when allowed (and considering that they are always allowed...). However if you can deepstrike them in and then charge the unit that you want to assault with the termies with the bikes that have the homer you probably have a better chance. Still not the best idea, but should give you some protection as you can't shoot through hth and you will get to charge on your next turn.

But if you really need to take assault terminators, the only really good thing is to give them a ride. either only get 5 of them and buy a land raider as their transport or 7-8 of them and give them the LRC.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

OK, so the name of "Assault Terminators" is a bit misleading... I'll go with the regular Terminators, I want to know if a Chaplain would be a viable thing to add to this squad? (it'll be 360-385 bare minimum)

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 29 Jul 2006, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Termie Chaplains are a must if you plan to assault with them...but depending on your enemy, you might be better off just standing back at mid-range and shooting. Assault Cannons are better than lascannons for killing tanks (yeah, yeah, I know I'm sounding like a broken record) and the ability to deep strike can put them in that vulnerable rear armour quarter. After they dispatch the tank, they can feel free to dispense whatever mayhem they see fit, whether that includes assaulting or not is up to you.

Personally, I would say that Termie chaplains don't belong in a teleporting Termie squad. But if you stick a bunch of Chainfist wielding Termies in a Land Raider with a Chaplain, you've got yourself a lethal tank killing tool. Roar forward at full speed in the Raider, covering 12"; debuss with the termies, giving you an additional 2"; open fire with any AT weapons if they've got them; then charge into close combat, covering a further 6", totalling 20" in one turn!

Against an enemy vehicle travelling at normal speed, a Termie squad packing six Chainfists, led by a Chaplain is roughly equivilent to eighteen guardsmen each armed with a twin-linked Meltagun firing at short range! Nothing short of a super-heavy tank can realistically be expected to survive that. Against a Demolisher's front armour, they'd have a 788% probability of inflicting a penetrating hit (ie. 8 penetrating hits)! You don't even want to know what sort of damage they could inflict upon a stationary vehicle like a Basilisk...it's immoral.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 01:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

[quote=Vulcan]
If you find yourself teleporting rather close to an enemy tank, then you could have 5 powerfist attacks in a 5 man squad.

You can't assault after teleporting, and if you had to place any within 1 inch of a vehicle, they would be destroyed.

OTZONE - A more wretched hive of scum and villany
Old 29 Jul 2006, 01:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phausi
You can't assault after teleporting, and if you had to place any within 1 inch of a vehicle, they would be destroyed.
Well yeah...Bustafer Jones and Vulcan already covered this (actually in the same post you just quoted)...if you'd have bothered to read the whole thread, you know that. :

Besides, I think he just meant that normal Termies have some additional manner of recourse against enemy armour if the assault cannons don't cut the mustard after two turns of shooting (an unlikely occurance)...although a normal five man Terminator squad would actually have 12 powerfist attack (or potentially 15 if the Sergeant took one too), not a meagre 5.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 03:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

* * Sorry about that, I said 5 power fist attacks?* :-[ Oh well Tom cleared that up.* It was rather late.... my time that is.* And yeah when I said Terminators have powerfists to also deal with tanks, I didn't specifically say that you could charge them (because you can't) after they teleport.* Like Tom said I just meant to say that they have tank busting capabilities too.* Sorry if I didn't word it right.... sheesh...* :

* edit:* Tom I've never heard the expression: "...if they don't cut the mustard..."
Old 29 Jul 2006, 04:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Tom I've never heard the expression: "...if they don't cut the mustard..."
Heh...guess it's a British thing.
Closed Thread