Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Necron Fluff Army
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jul 2006, 17:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Anti-Necron Fluff Army

I have a special character to lead a Black Templars force to eradicate a Necron threat. The irony is that the character is a techmarine who worships the Omnissiah(You would have to know about the C'tan fluff to understand) and is almost completly machine. Anyway, I was wondering if people could help me with some ideas for the army. Models, Units, even entire armies designed around being fluffy and competent. I don't mean an army specificaly designed for killing Necrons, just a force that would have been selected with the Necrons in mind. Remember, we know about the Necrons but the Adeptus Astartes and the Adeptus Mechanicus don't. Thanks. Any ideas/cmments/suggestions are as always welcome.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 17 Jul 2006, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Anti-Necron Fluff Army

Hey,

Definitely sounds like an interesting idea. I would expect to see a Deathwatch kill team in there somewhere (assuming the Necron threat is known about), as the Ordo Xenos is likely to take every opportunity to study Necrons, considering how little is known about them. Possibly even an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (could use Daemonhunter / Witchhunter rules) has tagged along to see them for himself.

Other than that, the usual Marine stuff I would think. However, the Necrons are unlikely to be simply sitting around, waiting for the Marines to turn up, and are unlikely to appear when such a large Marine force arrives. I would be inclined to think that a small Imperial Guard force would be sent in as a "lure", to tempt the Necrons from their hiding places so that they can be ambushed by the Space Marines ... if such a thing is even possible. It would make an interesting scenario anyway.

What do you think?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 00:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I was going for a more "themed army" approach then "fluffbunny scenario" But you bring up a good point with the Deathwatch kill team. Where can I find rules for them? This is more a rising threat conducted independantly from the Ordos Xenos. It is just the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Black Templars working together. Tech Marshal Martis was elected to lead a crusade that was a break off from another crusade. The Necron disturbnces have already occured. They are awake and harvesting. The only problem is the fact that this is in an area of space that is Held by the Emporoer, he doesn't like the Necrons too much.
Maybe I could incorporate a Black Dragons Deathwatch team into the Black Templars army. I always have wanted to try modeling some Black Dragons. There would be just too much conversion to do a whole army of them, at least for me. What do you think that my actual army list would look like?

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 18 Jul 2006, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think castellans, and marshals are elected or even appointed. Don't they duke it out to be top dog?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 06:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually yes, though this was a special situation. I belive that it is the position of High Marshal that is fought for. This is a special situation however. There was no fight for leadership, there was a selection by the Adeptus Mechanicus based upon whom they had trained. This was agreed upon by the Marshal of the crusade and this current situation was born. Basically it came down to the Adeptus Mechanicus picking their most competent trainee and the BT crusade agreeing upon it. If it floats your boat you could say that their was a great fight between the Techmarines on this crusade and Tech Marshal Martis came out the top dog. Thus he became the new leader.

Steel Skeleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Skeleton
Anyway, I was wondering if people could help me with some ideas for the army. Models, Units, even entire armies designed around being fluffy and competent. I don't mean an army specificaly designed for killing Necrons, just a force that would have been selected with the Necrons in mind. Remember, we know about the Necrons but the Adeptus Astartes and the Adeptus Mechanicus don't.
This was the original question although fluff questions are always helpful and much appriciated.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But it is a Black Templars army. How would that work?

--Commissar_Will
Old 21 Jul 2006, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just Tech Marshal Martis is being given a "Necron" theme. The rest of the army is still very much Black Templars. Well, all of it except for the Black Dragons Deathwatch Kill Team. It is a Black Templars crusade that is being led by this uber Techmarine. The Techmarine is the one who is semi-corrupted by Necron-like technonlgy and he doesn't even know it. As far as he knows, he was given and exceptional weapon, an upgraded servo-harness(for his greater responsinlilities), and that the Omnissiah will protect and assist him. The irony comes when you start to look at just how close he is coming to resembling the enemy. The crusade is a Black Templars crusade, not a BT themed crusade or even an "DIY BT" army. Just Black Templars. Thanks for the advice though .
In the Black Templars army, would you see more powerfists or power weapons? Would the army be more CC geared then it already is? Would melta weapons be left at home because they are innefective or would the BT have figured thet out yet? These are some of the questions that I was curious about. Questions about the actual army list, model types and strategies that would be used. Basically, I am trying to figure out just how much about the Necrons is known by the BT. That way I can represent a list for them. Not a Necron killing machine but instead a BT geared army. See what I mean? Awsome, thanks ;D.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 21 Jul 2006, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I've never fought against the Necrons myself, I've only heard tales and seen the odd stat line here and there, which is probably the same understanding possessed by your Black Templars army.

So what I know is that they're tough, well armoured, ponderous, have a tendancy to get back up again after you knock them down and that their monoliths are protected by something dubbed 'living metal' which makes them resistant to heat weapons. I might be wrong about this stuff, but that's irrelevant. What matter's is that this is my understanding of what to expect when facing a Necron army (having never fought them). Perhaps you should base your army on that? Unless, of course, your Black Templars are supposed to be Necron hunting veterans?

As for deciding between power swords and power fists, I think power swords fit the Black Templars image far better. The sword is an iconic symbol within the black templars, perhaps because they take so much of their imagery from the crusading knights of old?

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 18:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Awsome, thats what I needed. I know the Necron codex pretty well and so I really couldn't get a non-biased army list. Thank you Tom. And no, my army is a bunch of novices when it comes to fighting the Necrons. Only Tech Marshal Martis knows anything more than the odd rumor and he still hasn't fought them.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 22 Jul 2006, 12:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that you are missing the point. I may be on a completely different page than you but the army is not suposed to be Necron themed. They are supposed to be anti-necron themed. Not even the Tech Marshal is supposed to be truly Necron themed, just an ironic bit of humor that added some fun to a custom character. That Black Templars are one of the most devoted(imo) chapters and would be perfect, not to mention the fact that they were the closest to my imaginary planet cluster.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Closed Thread