Warhammer 40K Forum

'movie marines'
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jul 2006, 15:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 'movie marines'

hi Mr Philip Sibbering

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is widely recognised that there is a huge difference between a game marine and a background marine: There was even an article in White Dwarf about 'movie marines' and they have more fluff friendly stats, however they where like Ghods!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have heard of this on the internet, and i know its a little of topic but you have helped before with finding stuff, is there anyway to find a copy of these stats ? I'm willing to but the issue of white drawf, but from what i can tell it was a Australian issue and was never printed in the u.k edition of the mag. i know i have every issue from 256. please help !
i really just need the stat line and any special rules !!!!

can anyone on this forum help me ?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 05:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 'movie marines'

It was in the US version as well. I don't have the magazine handy, but there was more than a stat line. There were special rules for the marines and their weapons. I'm pretty sure it would break the forum rules If i posted them here. If I remember correctly it was a five marine 1500 point list.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmurf
It was in the US version as well. I don't have the magazine handy, but there was more than a stat line. There were special rules for the marines and their weapons. I'm pretty sure it would break the forum rules If i posted them here. If I remember correctly it was a five marine 1500 point list.
Those rules are in place to stop people enquiring about and exchanging rules rather than buying the official Games Workshop publications. Obviously I'm no moderator but, logically, it makes no sense to withhold that information based on these rules because they're no longer in print (I assume you can't get hold of it as a back issue or you wouldn't be asking). In my understanding, Buttercup can't buy these rules anymore so there's no harming in posting them. I'm interested to see them too, so show us would you?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:49   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Believe it or not, GW won't even let us post Rogue Trader rules. :

They hold the copywrite, and so until they say otherwise, we can't give out official material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, 'nuff said I suppose. That seems pretty anal though...it's as though they're trying to stop us making the most of the hobby! Do you know why they would restrict it?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 11:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Do you know why they would restrict it?
Because, if people are happily playing by earlier rulesets, they have no motivation to go out and by the latest version.

For comparison, look at Microsoft - as they have occasionally stated, their greatest competitor (in the desktop market) is earlier versions of Windows. Like GW, they need to give their customers a motive to upgrade - whether it's by putting improvements into the new version, or by making the old version unavailable.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was actually referring to the 'movie Marines' rules, but even so, I don't think that logic really applies here. You might buy an older version of windows because it's cheaper and does much the same thing. But I think only veteran gamers are going to be dedicated enough to piece together ancient rules from various sources, and they've already got all the publications pertaining to their chosen armies. I just don't see a newbie searching the net for 'retro' game systems and obscure unit rules because, above all else, they're not likely to even know about them!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative

About the whole not being able to post official material, aren't the movie marine rules unofficial?

Or... am I just taking that the wrong way?

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 21:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreative
About the whole not being able to post official material, aren't the movie marine rules unofficial?
The restriction is against posting copyrighted material, whether or not it's still officially part of the game. As Wargamer says, the Rogue Trader material is still restricted - and that's been outdated since the second edition was released in 1993.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Believe it or not, GW won't even let us post Rogue Trader rules. :

They hold the copywrite, and so until they say otherwise, we can't give out official material.
dont worry, only 31 more years and the rules will be public property. of course by then we'll be on nineth edition and im guessing most of use wont be around anymore.

Closed Thread