Warhammer 40K Forum

ultra marines 6th company
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jul 2006, 22:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default ultra marines 6th company

here is my list,

Ultra marines 6th company

Captian, master crafted power weapon, artificer armour, 0plasma pistol master crafted, terminator honors, teleport homer, auspex+bionics, frag+krak grenades, melta bombs, purity seals
120 pts

Command squad and chaplain

Reclusiarch, artificer armour, auspex, bionics, frag+krak grenades, melta bombs, purity seals, teleport homer, terminator honors, bolt pistol
146 pts

5 marines, apothecary, company standard bearer, company champion, sergeant, all have terminator honors and artificer armour, melta bombs, and teleport homers
250 pts

Elites

5 terminators, two heavy flamers
220 pts

Troops

5 marines, flamer, sergeant, combat shield
101 pts

Razorback transport, twin linked las cannon, hunter killer, power of the machine spirit
135 pts

6 marines, missile launcher, melta gun, sergeant, terminator honors, plasma pistol
135 pts

6 marines, plasma gun, missile launcher, sergeant, combi-melta
135 pts

Total, 1242 pts

just to let you guys know i won today with this, the thing that was so bad about it was that everything but the chaplain died. the terminator sergeant was the last man to die a holy death, what's ironic is that i was playing against marines.

c+c welcome

Old 16 Jul 2006, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Imperialis
Default Re: ultra marines 6th company

Alright, lemme take a swing at it:

Quote:
Captian, master crafted power weapon, artificer armour, 0plasma pistol master crafted, terminator honors, teleport homer, auspex+bionics, frag+krak grenades, melta bombs, purity seals
120 pts
First, you can not have two Master Crafted weapons, as it specifically states that you may not take the same item twice. Might I also suggest that you drop the bionics, as they rarely do anything, and even the melta bombs and auspex.

Quote:
Reclusiarch, artificer armour, auspex, bionics, frag+krak grenades, melta bombs, purity seals, teleport homer, terminator honors, bolt pistol
146 pts
Two auspex? I'd drop this, but if you absolutely must have one, then I suppose it would be alright. Again, I'd let go of the melta bombs and bionics, and perhaps you should drop the teleport homer on him. Do you really need two homers? Also, if you are going to give your Captain purity seals, then your Chaplain doesn't need them (assuming he's attached to this Command Squad) as everyone in the character's unit is benefited.

Quote:
5 marines, apothecary, company standard bearer, company champion, sergeant, all have terminator honors and artificer armour, melta bombs, and teleport homers
250 pts
This is quite an expensive squad, especially with your characters attached. Might I make the suggestion to remove the Apothecary (he isn't much use in an assault-oriented army) and the Company Champion (20 points for 3 power weapon attacks could be spent better elsewhere, IMO). Also, what's with the teleport homers? You gave them to three models in your army? And Artificer Armor? I'd drop this as it only makes your squad more expensive. Also take note that most guns that are AP3 are also AP2, unless you have a hatred for Krak Missiles and the like. I think this unit is far too big a points sink for someone to take out so easily.

Quote:
220 pts
I'd try to bump this unit up to six, as even numbered squads are always better than odd numbered squads. The two heavy flamers are perfect for assault, nothing wrong there.

Quote:
101 pts
I'm not sure I'd give the Veteran Sergeant a combat shield. Maybe a power fist/bolt pistol would be more handy; you could get the points by dropping the melta bombs on your characters and command squad. Also, I'd try to bump this up to six models.

Quote:
Razorback transport, twin linked las cannon, hunter killer, power of the machine spirit
135 pts
I'm not really a fan of Razorbacks, but even more so of this one. How tooled out does it need to be? It would be easier to take a Predator Annihilator. If you absolutely feel you MUST keep this, at least throw Extra Armor on it and drop the Hunter Killer; rarely will one krak missile make a difference. I'd also drop the Power of the Machine Spirit upgrade, as it's just a point sink into a Razorback..

Quote:
6 marines, missile launcher, melta gun, sergeant, terminator honors, plasma pistol
135 pts
Fine, but I'm not sure about giving them a Melta Gun. I think there might be better options unless you have been playing a lot of armored opponents. Seeing on how you have an assault-oriented army, I think the Veteran Sergeant would be alright.

Quote:
135 pts
Fine squad, but I recommend dropping the Combi-Melta off your Sergeant. With such an army, if you absolutely must give him a combi-weapon, why not a Combi-Flamer?

[hr]

I think you could shave plenty of points off this list to make it far more deadly. IMO the Captain and the Chaplain could lose a few points worth of wargear, and the Command Squad could definitely be toned down. I really think you could be more effective if you took a Chaplain and gave him a jump pack and put him with a unit of Assault Marines.

Another thing I noticed is that there are loads of melta weapons in this list. Will you be playing against a force (or forces) with lots of armor? If not, I suggest dropping them. With points saved perhaps you could beef up on Tactical Squads. I think you could develop this into an even nastier assault force.

This is just my two cents, and would be more than happy to comment more, should you so choose. Congratulations on your win, by the way ;D

IF
Old 17 Jul 2006, 00:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander farsight
here is my list,

Ultra marines 6th company

120 pts

This guy is expensive and he doesn't need that much stuff. Both weapons don't need to Master Craft both weapons, I also don't see why you have a Teleport Homer. TH are more usefull on Scout squads. I slo don't like plasma on HQs (except Chaplians) because of the risk of over heating. No need for Krak and Melta Bombs, acctaully you don't need either really, this guy shouln't be assaulting tanks. I can see the Auspex working but Bionics aren't really needed for this point size. And Finnally Artificer arour isn't needed either since your just using a Captian, those points are better spent elsewere.

Here is a Cheaper Version of your guy;

Captian - 78 Points
Weapons: Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
Wargear: Frag Grenades, Auspex

You save 42 points shaving down this guy, and he works just the same. The reason I didn't master craft was because he's just a Captian, and not the Master.

Command squad and chaplain

146 pts

250 pts

Like your other leader you over did it here, there is no need to have two HQs in a 1250 point game, expeccially when one costs close to 400 points! Scrap this whole squad, now you have 438 points to play with in other places.

Elites

220 pts

This squad is to expensive for 1250 points, it takes up 1/5th of your army! I say drop it and go with a Dread like this one;

Dreadnought - 113
Weapons: Assault Cannon, DCCW
Upgrades: Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

Now after that you have 545 points left.

Troops

101 pts

135 pts

This squad is not good, and its way expensive for 5 models. Flamers are overall worthless and you are paying 135 points for a tenasport that should only be about 97. Power of the Machine Spirit isn't usefull because you only have one weapon. Here is a more usefull squad;

6x Marines - 217
Weapons: Meltagun x1
Character: Vet. w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
Transport: Razorback w/ TL Lasscannons, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

This squad costs you about 20 points less and it can really put a beating to any armour you might face. Now you still have 565 points to spend.

135 pts

135 pts

Both of these squads are not great either, the mix of plasma, melta, and missle makes it so that it can't make up its mind. Also when tralveling on foot go with more bodies, 8 being the best. Take this unit twice to replace those current ones.

8x Space Marines - 140
Weapons: Plasma Gun, Missle Launcher
Character: Sgt w/ Bolter

After Taking those squads you have 555 points to spend. This can go towards Dev. Teams, Tanks, Bikes, or land speeders.

Total, 1242 pts
Hope I helped with your list buddy!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 00:10   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Imperialis

I agree with Adam on many points there. I really feel that you should take a Chaplain with his Crozius/BP and Jump Pack, stick him with a unit of Assault Marines and go to town with those bad boys. I think you'll be alright with the flamers, as long as you don't plan on fighting lots of marines.

Perhaps you should check out Stam's SM Guide if you haven't done so already; it can prove to be an invaluable tool in composing a SM list. He gives great tips and advice on each unit and their composition and also gives sample lists that can be toyed with or changed to your liking. Here's the link: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=27594.0

Cheers,
IF
Old 18 Jul 2006, 18:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Master Crafted ranged weapons are the worst waste of points there is for a Captain/Chapter Master there is. Plasma even more so, since you still have to deal with the "gets hot!" rule. You have a BS of 5 to begin with. In addition why would you have krak grenades when you have melta bombs? Even without the melta bombs, I would still never take krak grenades.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

these are the only models i have, so i have to use what i got.

Closed Thread