Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Apothecaries
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Imperialis
Default Question about Apothecaries

When it says that the Narthecium/Reductor does not work when the Apothecary is locked in Close Combat, what does that technically mean? Does it mean that he can not use it when his squad is in combat or that he can not use it if he is in base to base with the enemy? Furthermore could he use it if he was greater than two inches away from the combat?

I've always held the idea that once your Apothecary's squad becomes engaged in close combat he's too busy fighting to reach over and use his Narthecium/Reductor, but a guy at our GW store always attempts to use him by sticking him in the back of his unit, so that when he engages in melee he isn't in base to base, claiming that he's "healing from the back."

Just need a little clarification, as our GW store employees are.. well, not smart.
Imperialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Question about Apothecaries

Hey, Welcome to the boards.

The Narthecium / Reductor cannot be used if the Apothecary is locked in combat. If any models in the Apothecaries unit are engaged (i.e. in base contact with an enemy, or within 2'' of a model from it's own unit in base contact), then the whole unit counts as locked. Therefore, the Apothecary cannot use the equipment if his unit is in close combat at all, regardless of whether he is actually engaged or not.

If he does not believe you, show your opponent the first paragraph on page 38 of the Rulebook - it clearly defines the terminology.
charn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sweet, just what I thought. Thanks a lot man ;D
Old 13 Jul 2006, 22:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

remember though, that if you are plaing againstan apothecary army most likely your opponent will be drop podding them in close proximity (at least I do wih mine and it s common ). That means aapothecry within 6 inches in nother squad can still make the save.I've surprised a few people with this tactic.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2006, 08:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
remember though, that if you are plaing againstan apothecary army most likely your opponent will be drop podding them in close proximity (at least I do wih mine and it s common ). That means aapothecry within 6 inches in nother squad can still make the save.I've surprised a few people with this tactic.
I thought it was just the squad that the apothecary was in that benefited. Can you give me a page reference, I never noticed this rule before
bigwulfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2006, 09:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i believe it says it in the space marines codex under the narthecium/reductor wargear description, it says apothecaries within 6 inches can try to make the save if memory serves
WNxMeteora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2006, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Meteora is correct. It's under the Wargear description of the Narthecium/Reductor and specifically says that he may treat any friendly non-vehicle model within 6" of him.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 04:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxMeteora
i believe it says it in the space marines codex under the narthecium/reductor wargear description, it says apothecaries within 6 inches can try to make the save if memory serves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Father
Meteora is correct. It's under the Wargear description of the Narthecium/Reductor and specifically says that he may treat any friendly non-vehicle model within 6" of him.
ECHO! *Listens intently*

Nope...no echo in here, Iron Father; must be you. :P
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2006, 06:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
i believe it says it
I was just clarifying, Tom ;D Although I see your point.. a bit repetitious hrm?