Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Making more attacks with Terminator Chaplains
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jul 2006, 13:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Making more attacks with Terminator Chaplains

Hi there!! I was wondering how to maximize the number of attacks from the chaplain. The problem is that when he has Terminator armour, he can't be given pistols or standard cc weapons.

The only other weapons he can get are the thunder-hammer and the power fist.

So i have this question for you:
A friend told me he can choose every turn which weapon to use, so it is possible to have him strike with the crozius and say that the hammer is there only for the 2nd weapon bonus, with no I penalties?
It seemed so good to me that I wanted to check here what do you think.

NOTE: I know there are much better ways to equip a Chaplain, this version is for a "terminator-only arena".

Thanks

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 09 Jul 2006, 13:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Making more attacks with Terminator Chaplains

Yes, you can do that. The Chaplain is then armed with two single-handed weapons, and as such gains an extra attack. Whether you want to use all attacks with the Crozius or with the Thunder Hammer is up to yourself.
Old 09 Jul 2006, 13:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you can declare that you'll be using your thunderhammer as just another CCW and uses your arcanum instead. But if your going to do that, why dont you just give him a power sword for half price? id just give him a stormbolter to use his BS5 and give him something to do when he charges and moves.

Old 09 Jul 2006, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's all on page 46 of the rule book: 'Special close combat attacks'

Alternatively, for the same price as a Thunder Hammer, you could give him a pair of lightning claws. He'd be able to re-roll both to-hit and to-wound rolls (ignoring armour) on the charge! What's more, if you give his command squad the 'Furious Charge' special skill, he'll be striking at initiative 6, strength 5! This is especially good with Termie Assault squads using lightning claws, but only in a command squad can the skill be bought for him also.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Jul 2006, 20:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The lightning claws idea is a good one for the most part... the only problem I see is that you are losing the *free* power weapon that the chaplain comes with, and you are spending a lot of points to do it. For my deathwing that would come to at least 155 pts (depending on which side of the "chaplain needs the stubborn" argument you are on). whereas my chaplain with a storm bolter costs roughly 130 pts. if you were to give him the powerfist or the thunderhammer then you are still saving points over the lightning claws, and you'll be able to instakill characters and destroy most vehicles, which the lightning clawed chaplain can't.

Personal preference is to take a shooty one, but then again with deathwing I have to shoot more. :
Old 09 Jul 2006, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Giving the Chaplain a thunder hammer would better equip him to fight monstrous creatures and vehicles. IMHO, giving him lghtning claws is not a good idea, because anything w/ high toughness is better dealt with by a fist or hammer. Tom is right about the termie assault squad. Slap those boys in a LRC, and you've got yourself one heckuva unit, and fire magnet!

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 09 Jul 2006, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

It depends what flavour of Termies he's attached to though. If they are Assault Termies with Lightning claws all round, then yeah, a Power Fist/Thunder Hammer would be advisable for use against vehicles and big beasties. But it's a rare thing for an Assault Terminator squad to not bring at least one Thunder Hammer, and regular Joe Termies all come with Power Fists as standard (or the greatly overlooked, but utterly fearsome chainfist for only 5 points a piece).

Put simply, the Terminators can bring the Fists, but the Chappie should capitalise on that high initiative.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think we have to stop and think Does the Chaplain really need more attacks?

And then we think YES!!

I'd give him the dual-lightning claws, because I haven't seen a single Chaplain with Lighting Claws.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 02:23   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Some of the more common Chaplain configurations I've seen (and the very same that have been suggested here) are:

-Thunder Hammer/Crozius Arcanum

-Twin Lightning Claws

Both have theirs uses, but also their downsides. I favor the first, simply because it gives me a lot of versatility. A Chaplain with the first configuration has the ability to take on anything, whereas the second version can only be counted to shread infantry. However, that is where it shines. Whereas the first suffers in this area due to its versatility, the second just goes right through infantry.

Pretty much what most people have said is correct. If the unit can provide the Chaplain with Anti-Large Gribbly and Anti-Tank weaponry, then go with the Claws. Chances are, they will be able to, so the Claws are most likely your best bet. I still prefer the Thunder Hammer/Crozius, however...but I play Salamanders...I'm just somewhat biased ;D.

Or hell, depending on your view...
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only other problem I see is from a fluff standpoint, As what chaplain would give up their crozius which is their symbol of office, so that they can put on a pair of lightning claws. You gotta remember that in a marine army (with a few notable exceptions) they are very strict about following the codex and the other rules as passed down from generation to generation...

plus the crozius just looks badass ;D