Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultramarine Rhino/Razorback of fury
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jul 2006, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ultramarine Rhino/Razorback of fury

I've made the following unit using ultramarine rules and am thinking of trying it out (once my Tau are finished anyway!). I've only recently started ultramarines, before I played my own chapter, and am wondering whether this would be a valuable unit for the black company.

4 (8 if in rhino) w/ plasma gun, krak grenades
Honour guard
Veteran Sergant w/ bolt pistol, power fist
Razorback (or Rhino) w. extra armour, smoke launchers.

The razorback option weighs in at just under 240pts which is expensive. But this unit can achieve alot. When disembarking they unleash 9 (17) bolt shots and 2 plasma rifle shots. And it would be a brave enemy to charge all those armour-ignoring attacks.
Alternatively they could drop pod in.
Any good?
Old 08 Jul 2006, 03:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Ultramarine Rhino/Razorback of fury

Umm the rhino rush will never be the same again, it just is not as effective as transport rushes with eldar or tau (because heavy armored skimmer transports are much different than the paper armor marine lunch boxes on tracks). I say try it out with a good friend and proxy it before you buy them and figure out its just not the same as the true fish of fury or the serpent of fury.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 10:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

In my experience, Rhinos rarely make it to their intended destination, even with heavier armour leading the way. The enemy always find a way to get around the tanks to the softer APCs, whether by deep striking, using fast moving assault troops, skimmers or whatever...those Rhinos are never safe. A Razorback is just a huge points sink; with the same armour as a Rhino they're just not built to last. Rhinos at least have the advantage of being able to race off at full speed without sacrificing any substantial firepower. Even then you could still have those two plasma guns firing from the top hatch. A drop pod is another solid choice though. They're cheaper than Rhinos and will always arrive unharmed within 12" of where you want them. It's a pretty shooty squad you've got there so you can afford to deploy up close via drop pod.

By the way, if you find you need a few extra points, you could probably afford to lose the Krak grenades and just rely on the Sergeant's Powerfist.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 13:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Think of oyur favorite slice of pizza. That's a rhino. Now think of a bigger slice of your favorite pizza. That's a Razorback.

That's what every single AT gun thinks when it sees a razorback. Don't make it jucier by adding expensive units in it.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 14:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean
...as the true fish of furry or the serpent of furry.
Fish and snakes don't have fur...

OTZONE - A more wretched hive of scum and villany
Old 08 Jul 2006, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

hahaha whoops!
Old 08 Jul 2006, 20:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Then again, for the same points cost as an honour guard, I could use a trait to buy counter attack and true grit for all marines.
Lots of fire power, and good close combat prowess.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Those don't actually improve their capacity for close combat, they're just handy when you get charged. 'Trust your Battle Brothers' is great for units hopping out of transports or drop pods because that is when they are most vulnerable to that sort of thing...but an honour guard is a terrifying thing to behold in close combat, especially against heavily armoured foes. Plus, they're fabulous models...I'd stick with the honour guard.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread