Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 pt "pyro hammers" list
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jul 2006, 05:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative
Default 1500 pt "pyro hammers" list

So theres a tournament coming up, I originally thought I'd be bringing Necrons, but this new chapter idea has got me excited, and wanting to start the army even faster, so I drew up a list, here it is.

NOTE: FG= Frag Grenade(s)

HQ
Master- 196 Pt's
* Artificer armour, Iron halo, Master crafted thunder hammer, Master crafted power weapon, FG

Codicier- 115 Pt's
* Fury of the Ancients, force weapon, psychic hood, familiar, FG

ELITES
Dreadnought- 143 Pt's
* CCW, heavy flamer, Twin linked lascannon, extra armour, smoke launchers

TROOPS
Scout squad- 70 Pt's
* 4 scouts; close combat weapons, bolt pistols, FG
* 1 sarg; close combat weapon, bolt pistol, FG

Tact squad- 221 Pt's
* 7 marines; close combat weapons, bolt pistols, FG
* 2 marines; flamers, FG
* 1 vet sarg; Thunder hammer, bolt pistol, FG

Tact squad- 221 Pt's
* 7 marines; close combat weapons, bolt pistols, FG
* 2 marines; flamers, FG
* 1 vet sarg; Thunder hammer, bolt pistol, FG

Tact squad- 140 Pt's
* 3 marines; close combat weapons, bolt pistols
* 2 marines; meltaguns
* 1 vet sarg; combi-melta

Tact squad- 140 Pt's
* 3 marines; close combat weapons, bolt pistols
* 2 marines; meltaguns
* 1 vet sarg; combi-melta

FAST ATTACK
Attack bike squadron- 150 Pt's
* 3 attack bikes; heavy bolters, twin linked bolters

HEAVY SUPPORT
Whirlwind- 103 Pt's
* Pintle storm bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers

Traits
-Take the Fight to them
-Cleanse and purify

Major Disadvantage
-Eye to Eye

Minor Disadvantage
-Faithful Unto Death

Any comments, suggestions, whatever is appreciated.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 04 Jul 2006, 21:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: 1500 pt "pyro hammers" list

Hey,

Lets take a look:

HQ 1 - Master - Very expensive. I'd simply drop the thunder hammer here, and give him Terminator Honours for that extra attack. I would also consider removing master craftiness from the power weapon - it's not worth it unless you really, really need to cause every wound possible. Which squad will this guy be leading?

HQ 2 - Codicier - Looks good.

Elites 1 - Dreadnaught - Has the flexibility to deal with tanks at long range and infantry at short range. Personally I'd stick with the assault cannon + heavy flamer, or else lascannon and missile launcher - so as to be dedicated in a single role, but if your way works for you, use it.

Troops 1 - Scouts - These guys simply aren't going to last at all. They will be beaten by anything half decent in assault, and are no good at range. I'd be enclined to give sniper rifles to everybody, put in a missile launcher and just keep these guys far away, to take potshots at all the tough nasties and vehicles your opponents throw at you. Infiltrate and use that missile to put a hole in something's side armour.

Troops 2 & 3 - Tactical Squads - Looking good; you have the hidden Thunder Hammer to deal with tough things like wraithlords and daemon princes should you encounter them. Only problem is that these squads are very assault orientated, but no quick means of getting them there. You may want to consider freeing up some points somewhere for a rhino or drop pod or two. Also, if you're having the Master or Librarian tag along in these squads (which you should), you may want to drop them down to 8 men, so that everyone can fit in a transport.

Troops 4 & 5 - Tactical Squads - Looking good, however the combi-meltas are not worth it. You could free up enough points for a rhino here by demoting the Veteran sarge to a regular Marine. Again these squads are slow so getting up close to a tank might be difficult.

Fast Attack 1 - Attack Bikes - These look good - lots of fast moving dakka. If you didn't have the "Eye to Eye" disadvantage, I would recommend that you split these into two squads, and give a single bike a multi-melta for some ultra-mobile tank-popping goodness.

Heavy Support 1 - Whirlwind - Get rid of the storm bolter; it's not necessary. Also drop the extra armour and smoke launchers if you know there will be plenty of terrain to hide behind - ideally the enemy should never actually get a shot at the Whirlwind.

[hr]

Overall, the list is alright - tonnes of marines, and alot of dakka - however a little low on mobility and anti-tank. With the points saved by trimming stuff down, you might be able to fit in a couple of rhinos or drop pods, just to get your men up the field more quickly. Also - is the second HQ (librarian) really worth the points? You could get a 6-man Tactical squad with a lascannon for those points - depending on your opponent, which do you reckon would be more cost effective?

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04 Jul 2006, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Notice his chapters name is pyro hammers. So perhaps having the Master with a Thunder hammer is a good idea.
I would drop the master crafting on all the weapons your Master has. He's already really good!
Old 04 Jul 2006, 23:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was under the assumption that you couldn't buy the same upgrade twice for a single model. If I'm correct (and feel free to correct me if I'm not) then that makes his master illegal.

However there is an easy remedy to this: drop the mastercrafting on the power weapon, and you might want to lose the artificer armor also... not many guns are ap3 and not ap2 at the same time.

now you need to follow Charns advice and drop some points for some mobility. Although with the way your army looks to be set up I would go more with the rhino than the drop pod.

Also with a name like the Pyro Hammers, why don't you have multi-meltas on your attack bikes? or are you just trying to save some points?

Looking back on your list again, the scouts do seem out of place. You might want to either take them out completely and spend the points elsewhere or find some more points and add a couple more (along with a thunderhammer for the sergeant....mmmhhh... fluffy...) ;D
Old 05 Jul 2006, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
I was under the assumption that you couldn't buy the same upgrade twice for a single model. If I'm correct (and feel free to correct me if I'm not) then that makes his master illegal.
Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that you can give each weapon master crafted, but read throught the codex and can't find anything supporting my side, oh well, I think im gonna lose the master crafted on both weapons anyways.

The artificer armour was just for more survivability. having a 2+ save is better than a 3+.

About the whole mobility thing, I agree, I geuss I'm on a bit of a budget, might cost alot, plus I havn't had much experiance with rhinos and how to use them properly and such, so I'd prob get them blown up right away. I will look into this for the future though.

So I will drop the combi-meltas, the scout squad, the power weapon and master craftyness on the master, every extra thing on the whirlwind, and demote the sargs in the 6 man squads. Maybe I'll drop the librarian too, I don't know, and opinions on dropping him.

With the points I save I want to either get more marines, maybe even a command squad for my master and librarian, if I decide to keep him, give master termy honours.

I'll write up a list with the changes later; don't feel like doing it right now.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 05 Jul 2006, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Just to point out,terminator armour does the same thing as artificer armour,the model is only $15(USD) and a simple conversion with a thunder hammer is all that is needed,but to keep points low artificer is cheaper by a few points.

Yes do get transports or try droppods.Landspeeder too would be a nice add.Either the dread with assault cannon or lascannon and missile launcher IMO,I would take the assault cannon and flamer option.
BTW nice name ;D
Closed Thread