Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fast Attack Multi-melters
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jul 2006, 15:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Fast Attack Multi-melters

Im drawing up a list for my fallen angels marine list(attempt number 5 at a marine army), but ive come to a halt over my fast attack chocies. They use Honour your wargear and Never Despair and so far ive got:
Master with stormbolter
Elite 10-man Devastator squad with 4 autocannons(house rules, caunt as missile launchers if opponent disagrees) and tank hunters.
8-man Tactical squad with autocannon and plasma gun(X3)
Heavy Support 10-man Devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters(X2)
Predator Destructor with lascannon sponsons
for 1305. now to complete my 1.5K list i was thinking off adding some fast attack stuff, but im not sure which one i should take. either:

3 Landspeeders with multi-meltas
3 attack bikes with multi-meltas

Both cost the same amount, and both dish out the same firepower(attack bikes have bolters but that's insignificant). The main difference is that landspeeders are quicker than bikes and ignore terrain, giving them alot of mobility and flexibility. But attack bikes are more durable, due to their high toughness and wounds and excellent saves. So 3 things:
1) In general, which do you take?
2) Which would compliment this list better?
3) Got any comments on the rest of mt list?

also, are their rules for fallen angels other than 'they count as chaos undivided marines'? i want these guys to be cast out renegades, but not necesarily chaos. more pirate mercenary type guys.

Old 03 Jul 2006, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Fast Attack Multi-melters

I would go with the 3 Landspeeders and seperate them into 3 units. That should keep their survivability up enough to compensate for their low armor value (that and the fact they are fast skimmers)
Old 03 Jul 2006, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First, fallen angels don't have Land Speeders or Attack bikes. So neither if you wish to follow fluff.

Fallen can either be used as Dark Angels or as Chaos Marines. The Fallen can have any mark you want, or no mark at all. I don't see how your trait choices represent the Fallen accurately at all.
Old 03 Jul 2006, 17:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
First, fallen angels don't have Land Speeders or Attack bikes. So neither if you wish to follow fluff.
Fallen can either be used as Dark Angels or as Chaos Marines. The Fallen can have any mark you want, or no mark at all. I don't see how your trait choices represent the Fallen accurately at all.
ill work on the fluff later. But they're not all fallen angels, just the elite devastators and the commander. the rest are an assortment of renegade marine, mercenaries and chaos marines.
also, you said they can be used as dark angels, dark angels do get both options.

and lastly: but what option would you take? bike or speeder?

Old 03 Jul 2006, 18:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Atk bikes with multi melta in my opinion are better than land speeders.

1) Just as fast they can turbo boost.

2) A bit more fire power with the TL bolters, i know its not much but a squad of three gets 6 TL shots with in 12" an since you can move 12" decent range.

3) Against the type of weapons that take Land speeders down ( auto cannons, heavy bolters...) atk bikes are more resilient.

4) ATK bikes can be using in CC. this is a BIG advantage over land speeders, atk bikes are great at holding up units and even doing some damage. T5 W2 and 3+ sv makes them really useful at holding up units like orc and gaunts while you reposition, shoot, or take an objective.

5)ATk bikes also seem to look less threatening than LS its not a big thing but can keep the alive alittle longer.

These are my reason why i believe there better. Ive also got a great winning record to prove it, last year i enters a tournament at my local store and came second and then the store had a 40k league of the summer 15 straight wins in a row against a wide range "veterans" and newer players, each game i took a squad of 2 atk bikes and over the games they made an average of twice there points.
Old 03 Jul 2006, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

My opinion isn't worth as much as...xXxt0mxXx (why don't you just call yourself Tom, bud? I do)...I've only ever used Speeders. But that being so, I can talk about their advantages in relation to the strengths afforded by Attack Bikes as dictated by xXxt0mxXx (:).

1) Turbo boost is very nice, but can you fly over impassable terrain?

2) For an extra ten points you can bolt a Heavy Flamer to your speeder too. Its got the speed and agility to close the distance with the enemy fast and those two conficting weapons make your speeders a serious threat to infantry and tanks alike, giving them the flexability to switch roles as the situation dictates.

3) Attack bikes are more resilient than Land Speeders, so fair play...Attack bikes either die outright or survive unscathed; there's no middle ground.

4) Land Speeders can't get into close combat, but they can tank shock. Its a seldom used advantage vehicles have over infantry and can make a surprising difference when that Imperial Guard heavy weapons team that wouldn't come out of their deployment zone suddenly packs up and flees the table.

5) If you really think Land Speeders look more threatening than Attack Bikes then consider it a good thing; fast moving skimmers are notoriously difficult to destroy outright which means, for their very reasonable price tag, a squadron of Land Speeders can potentially draw a lot of fire for very little gain.

There's another very good reason why you should take Land Speeders over Attack Bikes:

6) They can deep strike. Imagine your opponent's horror when a triplet of Multi-Melta toting Speeders drop in next to his Basilisk battery, Hammerhead firebase or armoured spearhead. Such a move can swing the game, as 195 points of land Speeders cripple his entire advance or obliterate his fire support in one fell swoop.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 03 Jul 2006, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

I've only used attack bikes but I've killed my fair share of speeders.
The attack bikes take more damege and have more fire power. Also they will absorb more fire than any vehicle.

Land speeder. they can deepstrike right inside of your armor and take them out.(you have a chance of killing bikes as they close in.

My annalisis, use 1 unit of two attack bikes and 1 land speeder(2 if enough points).
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 03 Jul 2006, 21:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah i would probably say that 2 atk bikes with mutli melter's are enough they have a good chance of killing a tank with one round of shooting if you get with in 12" which with there speed isn't that hard. Don't forget if you have a squad of land speeders and one is stunned the rest have to stop and get shot to pieces next turn or leave it. If you have a squad of bikes and one loses a wound they dont have to stop.
Old 03 Jul 2006, 21:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxt0mxXx
Yeah i would probably say that 2 atk bikes with mutli melter's are enough they have a good chance of killing a tank with one round of shooting if you get with in 12" which with there speed isn't that hard. Don't forget if you have a squad of land speeders and one is stunned the rest have to stop and get shot to pieces next turn or leave it. If you have a squad of bikes and one loses a wound they dont have to stop.
i can take the speeders as separate choices

Closed Thread