Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pulse what?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default pulse what?

A few days ago, I was facing my younger brother's friend, who happens to play Eldar. He had a tank, a Fire Prism, it is the one with the big crystal gun thingy, anyhow, he said he had this gun called a pulse cannon or something, and it got D3 shots on my squads of marines, which of course he mowed them down promptly. I couldn't believe it was possible to get up to 18 shots from such a weapon, but I couldn't prove him wrong since I didn't have the rulebook wth me, and I doubted it was even in the rulebook, so how does that work?

Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: pulse what?

Well, first off you need to remove the stats in your post, against forum rules and such.

The only thing that really matters is the d3. This is how dice rolls work:

# before the d = the number of dice rolled

d = dice, tells you that you're rolling for something

# after the d = how many sides the dice you roll should have

This is pretty much the formula across all games, including 40K. What he rolled was 3d6, when what he was suppose to roll is one dice, that has 3 sides. Now of course there is no 3 sided dice, (or if there is, it's rare. I have seen a five sider before.) So what you do is roll a six sider as a substitute. The way I usually roll is 1 and 2 is one, 3 and 4 is a two, and 5 and 6 is a three. But any numbering scheme that allows an equal chance of 3 possibilities is fine.

In summary, that weapon would fire between 1 and 3 shots, not 3 and 18.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i don not believe that there is such thing as a pulse cannon. he gun on the fire prism is a prism cannon, in which has the same stats as a lascannon except for longer range and heavy 1 blast. if i were you i would just make up a weapon in the next game you play and then use it against him. he'll learn his lesson.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Yes, the Eldar have a Pulse Laser weapon which has the exact statistics you have given.

However, 18 shots? Do you mean in total throughout a whole 6-turn game? Or was your opponent mistaking D3 for 3D6?

D3 is basically half of a D6 roll - you roll a 6-sided dice and half the result, rounding up. And that's only the number of shots for the Pulse Laser. He must roll to hit for each afterwards, seperately. All-in-all, nasty enough, but so is an Ion Cannon.

Cheers.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for clearing that up, hw could have wasted even moreof my marines... :

Old 29 Jun 2006, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Commander Archive
Now of course there is no 3 sided dice, (or if there is, it's rare. I have seen a five sider before.)
ROFL! I'll say its rare! A three sided dice would make a mockery of the laws of physics!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The five sider looked pretty gnarly too. It looked kind of like a rock you'd find out in your garden or something. :P

It was designed by some kind of crazy math major or an engineer or something. You'd have thought that it'd never work, but apparently when he tested it 10,000 rolls it had less than a 2% error rate.

I can think of how you could do a 3 sider with crystal shaped dice though. It actually wouldn't be that hard. It would end up having nine sides, but because of the length and shape of the die, only 3 of them could be landed on, the other six being too small to be balanced on.

Let's see if I can describe it. Start with a cylinder shape, like a rod. Then flatten the long part into a triangle shape, so you end up getting a triangle shaped cylinder/rod, with flat ends. Now take the ends and add a pyramid shaped to each end, that quickly comes to a point. Because of the length of the rod, it's impossible to balance the die on it's ends, only the three long edges could be landed on.

Although you're right about a literal three sider being rare though Tom, three dimensional shapes need a minimum of four sides. :P
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hehe, well I suppose that would work! It'd be damned odd though. Perhaps I'll make one out of green stuff?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 09:59   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I can testify that D3 exist ;D i have a couple knocking about, they are shaped like a triangular prism with four sides, think they were used for some rpg but i can't remember what. ???
Old 30 Jun 2006, 10:02   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

...That's a D4, as it has 4 sides. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread