Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 points DIY Army List [Warhawks]
Old 28 Jun 2006, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1000 points DIY Army List [Warhawks]

i have finally come up with an army list for my warhawks army list. for thse of you that don't know yet, the warhawks are a successor chapter of the raven guard. Here's the list:

HQ
Master of Sanctity
-Crozius Archanium, Rosarius, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Terminator Honors

ELITE
6 Assault marines + Sergeant
-2 Plasma Pistols, Furious Charge
-Sergeant: Terminator Honors, Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Furious Charge

TROOPS
9 Tactical Marines + Sergeant
-Meltagun
-Drop pod
-Sergeant: Terminator Honors, Powerfist, Bolt Pistol

9 Tactical Marines + Sergeant
-Meltagun
-Drop pod

FAST ATTACK
7 Assault marines + Sergeant
-2 Plasma Pistols

TOTAL: 1008

i did this from memory so the point costs are probably off. it should have equalled closer to 1000 points.
tauman5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: 1000 points DIY Army List [Warhawks]

looks sound too me
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Hey,

[HQ] Master of Sanctity - Nothing wrong here, however you may want to consider demoting him to a Reclusiarch to cheapen him up - you are basically paying an extra 15 points for another wound. In 1000 points he is unlikely to vitally need that extra wound, and most things that'll kill him will kill him anyway, regardless of wounds (power fist = instant kill).

[Elite] Assault Squad - I take it the Chaplain will be hitching a ride with this squad? If so, nothing much needs changed, the mix of power weapon and untargetable power fist is great. Plasma pistols are also nice for dealing with those tough guys before a charge.

[Troops] Tactical Squads - These squads seem a tad large, I would consider splitting them up into several smaller squads if you can afford it. Smaller squads means that each one is less spread out, and you can better afford to lose one. It could be pretty disasterous if one of your 10-man squads was held up for 2 turns by a bunch of scarabs, but it wouldn't matter so much if it is only one unit of 6 men out of three units.

[Fast Attack] Assault Marines - No problems here.

In general your list looks fine, however relying on two meltaguns and a couple of power fists for your tank killing duties is a little too little. Against armies with low vehicle count you should do fine, but Mech Tau or Mech Gaurd will run rings around you. I also assume that you want your entire army to deep strike? In that case, you may want to enlist a tank-hunting dreadnaught or multi-melta landspeeder (or two) somewhere. Alternatively, melta-bombs on the Fast Attack assault squad would be quite effective, but also expensive. Also bear in mind that your Assault Squads are going to be very vulnerable on the turn they deep strike. A large ordance pie-plate from a Basilisk or Leman Russ could really ruin your day.

Anyhow, see how it goes!
charn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2006, 00:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

after playing mech tau, everybody in my gaming group decided to not use tanks. though my friend plays a couple leman russ [usually only one] in his IG army.

i screwed up with the chaplain. he's supposed to have melta bombs and auspex [nothing else that could fill up those last 5 points] instead of terminator honors. This makes the army list exactly 1000 points.

i played a game a while back, testing out an space marine army for my friend and i had a unit of 8 assault marines, a unit of 10 tactical marines [as listed in my list] and a jump pack chaplain completely destroy a mech tau army. The meltaguns took out 2 devilfish and all of the fire warriors and pathfinders that were in them. maybe i'll drop the tactical squads to 8 marines and maybe get a land speeder or something.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 09:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauman5263
after playing mech tau, everybody in my gaming group decided to not use tanks. though my friend plays a couple leman russ [usually only one] in his IG army.

i screwed up with the chaplain. he's supposed to have melta bombs and auspex [nothing else that could fill up those last 5 points] instead of terminator honors. This makes the army list exactly 1000 points.
Ah right, ok. You probably have enough anti-tank to deal with a single Leman Russ, however be careful when deep striking those assault marines - they will all fit snugly under that battle cannon template.

Quote:
i played a game a while back, testing out an space marine army for my friend and i had a unit of 8 assault marines, a unit of 10 tactical marines [as listed in my list] and a jump pack chaplain completely destroy a mech tau army. The meltaguns took out 2 devilfish and all of the fire warriors and pathfinders that were in them. maybe i'll drop the tactical squads to 8 marines and maybe get a land speeder or something.
Good idea, taking 4 marines off will free up enough points to buy a nippy little Heavy Bolter landspeeder and still have some points to spare. You can then use the landspeeder to seize objectives, and generally harass the enemy with its Heavy Bolter. Remember that it has a 36'' range, so keep it at a distance - the most dangerous type of weapon against landspeeders are the humble S4 or S5 small arms en masse. Keep the thing out of bolter and pulse rifle range - your enemy hopefully won't "waste" many high strength shots on it, preferring to target your assault marines instead.

Let us know how how it goes, what works and what doesn't.
charn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2006, 15:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

its always good to have a couple of las-cannons, can marines take autocannons?
Old 01 Jul 2006, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Ah right, ok. You probably have enough anti-tank to deal with a single Leman Russ, however be careful when deep striking those assault marines - they will all fit snugly under that battle cannon template.
i tried my army out last night against an imperial guard army and i annihilated his leman russ. that's when he started to lose.

Quote:
Good idea, taking 4 marines off will free up enough points to buy a nippy little Heavy Bolter landspeeder and still have some points to spare. You can then use the landspeeder to seize objectives, and generally harass the enemy with its Heavy Bolter. Remember that it has a 36'' range, so keep it at a distance - the most dangerous type of weapon against landspeeders are the humble S4 or S5 small arms en masse. Keep the thing out of bolter and pulse rifle range - your enemy hopefully won't "waste" many high strength shots on it, preferring to target your assault marines instead.

Let us know how how it goes, what works and what doesn't.
Chaplain and elite assault squad works wonders together, killing a whole infantry platoon and forcing the armored fist squad to flee off the table.

on the second turn i had only one tactical squad on the board. i lost 4 marines due too shooting that turn. the next turn, both of my assault squads dropped in and shot some stuff with their pistols, killing two ogryns and 4 guarddsmen. on the fourth turn my last tactical squad cam in right behind the leman russ and annihilated it with the meltagun. I charged everyone with everything and the imperial guard either all died or fled off the table.

this means that against imperial guard i will be taking the 2 10 man squads in drop pods rather than 8 man squads. the difference in the amount of marines kept my first tactial squad above half its unit strength. the ig player scored no victory points what so ever.
Old 01 Jul 2006, 15:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
i tried my army out last night against an imperial guard army and i annihilated his leman russ. that's when he started to lose.
Guard are nigh on useless when they get there precious icle Leman Russ destroyed thats where non-tank Guard armies come into their element.