Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

750pt Blood Angels
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2006, 09:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 750pt Blood Angels

Hey all,
I've recently decided to dust off my boltgun and chainsword and begin my marine army a new. I've decided to leave the path of the White Scars for the Sons of Sanguinius, the Blood Angels. Here's a small list.

Sanguinary High Priest Paean of the 5th Company Blood Angels
Sanguinary High Priest
-Frag Grenades
-Bolt Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Narthecium
-Reductor
-Exsanguinator
Total: 147pts

Tactical Squad
9 Tactical Marines
-Plasma Gun
-Missile Launcher
Total: 155pts

Tactical Squad
9 Tactical Marines
-Plasma Gun
-Missile Launcher
Total: 155pts

Tactical Squad
Veteran Sergeant
-Power Sword
-Frag Grenades
8 Tactical Marines
-Frag Grenades
-Flamer
-Missile Launcher
Total: 186pts

Blood Angels Scout Squad
Veteran Sergeant
-Power Fist
5 Blood Angels Scouts
Total: 106pts

Grand Total: 749pts

Well, what do you think?

Old 28 Jun 2006, 11:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 750pt Blood Angels

HQ 1
Saving points:
  • Well I'm not sure about a Narthecium and Reductor and an Exsanguinator. Certainly one or the other but not both. It seems like a lot of points for very little gain.
+25 pts

[hr]

Troops 1
Saving points:
  • Drop a Marine here. Even numbers is always better for the purposes of having scoring units after casualties.
  • Lose the plasma gun...Blood Angels just love to assault things and rapid fire weapons just spoil their fun.
Spending points:
  • This list is in desperate need of AT firepower. Get a Meltagun instead.
+15 pts

Troops 2
Saving points:
  • As above; drop a Marine.
  • Get rid of the plasma gun.
Spending points:
  • Get a Meltagun for these guys too. Playing Blood Angels means getting up close; two Meltaguns will do the job of a single Missile Launcher in an assault oriented squad far better.
+15 pts

Troops 3
Saving points:
  • Judging by the options you've chosen for this squad, they are designed for close combat (as any self-respecting Blood Angels squad should be) so I suggest you lose the Missile Launcher. You'll almost never fire it because to do so would mean the entire squad would have to stand still when you will want to be closing the distance with the enemy.
  • The unit is currently overpriced by one point.
  • Drop another Marine here. Eight is the magic number.
Spending points:
  • Upgrade the Sergeant's Power Sword to a Powerfist. He's got the numbers to soak up the wounds for some of the more expensive equipment and the squad could benefit from a little AT power of its own.
+21 pts

[hr]

Fast attack 1
Spending points:
  • Buy yourself a spiffy new dual-purpose Land Speeder with a Heavy Flamer and a Multi-Melta. It can be employed to hunt armour or troops as the situation dictates and has the speed to put such short range weapons to use.
-75 pts

[hr]

[size=18pt]Original army list total: 749[/size]
[size=18pt]Total surplus points: 1[/size]

[size=18pt]Total adjustment: +1[/size]

[size=18pt]Army list total after modifications: 748[/size]
[size=18pt]Surplus points after modifications: 2[/size]
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 11:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

So, which of the two should I drop from the priest?

I'd prefer to keep numbers as they are, as it adds the extra casualty before panic.

I was hoping to keep at least one squad in its current configuration to at least attempt to have a firebase.

Don't you have any problems with my scouts? Also a Land Speeder tends to be shot down first turn around here as many people play MEQ armies or Dark Eldar with crap loads of splinter cannons.

Old 28 Jun 2006, 15:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paean, Medic of the Gods
So, which of the two should I drop from the priest?

I'd prefer to keep numbers as they are, as it adds the extra casualty before panic.

I was hoping to keep at least one squad in its current configuration to at least attempt to have a firebase.

Don't you have any problems with my scouts? Also a Land Speeder tends to be shot down first turn around here as many people play MEQ armies or Dark Eldar with Klkn loads of splinter cannons.
It's up to you which you drop, they've both got great atvantages. The one I suggested in my recommendations was the cheapest of the two; the Narthecium and Reductor. And seeing as you want to take nine-man squads in order to make it harder for your opponent to inflict 25% casualties, the Narthecium and Reductor's abillity is of slightly reduced worth. So I'd keep the Exsanguinator.

You will take casualties no matter what you do but any squads in your army lead by Paean or one of the veteran Sergeants will have a nice high leadership to see them through. What matters most is the squad strength left at the end of the battle. That being so, I would value a Land Speeder more than one wound of extra durability for each of the three tac squads. I just think you could do more with those points than buy 'spare parts Marines'. Just think of the shiney things you could buy with 46 points...if not a Tornado, there must be something you think your army would benefit from and those points will go a long way towards it.

If you want a good strong firebase then take a marine from the second and third tactical squads and use the points to add one to first tactical with a Heavy Bolter or something.

Sorry, I overlooked the scouts. I think you're risking a lot of points on the veteran Sergeant there. He's in a small squad with a 4+ armour save. Perhaps instead of a Land Speeder you could spend those points to beef up his squad with an additional five men? That'd leave you 11 points to spend on other things...perhaps a couple sniper rifles?

Well only you know how you plan to fight with this army so I'll leave you with my suggestions. If you don't take any of them you're by no means doing it wrong; its just my opinion.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 16:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Hey,

I agree with pretty much all of Toms points, but I'll throw a couple of my own opinions into the mix.

Tactical Squads - Your squads appear to be very stretched in their duties, you have given them long range anti-tank weapons, medium range anti-infantry weapons and of course, they are pretty brutal in close combat. A couple of points:

- In my opinion, squads should be small, cheap, and should focus on one thing - anti-tank, anti-infantry, or close combat. You want to be able to use all three for as much of the time as possible. You want them to be as efficient as possible. Large squads that try to do to many things get stretched out. When a squad is standing still to shoot a missile, a power weapon is not of much use. When a squad is in close combat, that missile launcher isn't doing its job. Therefore I propose that you should use smaller squads, preferably 6 models in each (possibly 8 in a close combat orientated squad), and let each focus on a different task.

- Heavy weapons and Blood Angels do not really mix that well - too many times have I had a perfect sight to that pesky devilfish or defiler, to have my lascannon squad go running D6'' towards the nearest unit! Obviously this won't happen all the time, but it reduces the reliability of static heavy weapons. Not much you can do about this one other than try to use vehicles for (more) reliable tank-killing.

- Landspeeders - I second Tom's suggestion that a landspeeder would be a great choice, however I wouldn't be keen on taking a multi-melta / heavy flamer mix. Landspeeders for me rarely last more than 2 turns, 3 turns maximum. With weapons of such differing capabilities as a multi-melta and heavy flamer, one of them is unlikely to see alot of use. The cheapest, bog-standard landspeeder with heavy bolter is still a gem for harassing the enemy, and with its 36'' range is decent at staying out of small arms range. The Tornado is also quite good, but is a tad expensive, and you must move within small arms range in order to use the assault cannon. These things in my experience rarely last past turn 1. The multi-melta landspeeder is perfect for scaring vehicles out of cover - turn 1, zoom up the flank 24'' and hide, turn 2, zoom out and let that hull down tank have it in the face. A bit of a gamble (because it won't ever get another shot), but well worth it if you destroy that 140pt tank with that 65pt landspeeder. And of course, landspeeders can deep strike, making them ideal for seizing table quarters near the middle / end of the game.

However you choose to play the army, good luck, and may the Angels of Death serve you well.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm happy to pay 10 points to bolt a Heavy Flamer onto my Multi-Melta toting speeders because it greatly increases their flexibility. I don't expect to put both to good use every game but my opponent can never be sure of what they're going to attack; infantry or tanks. Typically I deploy them to destroy tanks but if all the enemy's tanks are destroyed before my speeders, it's nice to know they're not redundant. As Charn mentioned, Speeders can deep strike. Deep Striking next to an enemy vehicle with a Multi-Melta armed speeder is a truly evil tactic. They probably won't scatter beyond that critical 12" range and provided they don't, the 2D6 armour penetration doesn't really care what kind of armour its facing...doesn't make much of a difference. If you drop in right behind them, pretty much the only way they can scatter beyond 12" is if they scatter directly away from the vehicle, which means you'll still be able to persecute that vulnerable rear armour facing.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I'm happy to pay 10 points to bolt a Heavy Flamer onto my Multi-Melta toting speeders because it greatly increases their flexibility. I don't expect to put both to good use every game but my opponent can never be sure of what they're going to attack; infantry or tanks.
Of course, it really depends on how much of a threat your opponent considers the landspeeder, and what they are prepared to do to get rid of it. Do what works as they say.

In lower point games I tend to find that landspeeders are targetted very early on in the game, so I only really get one or two shots out of them, maximum. However, in one 4-way game, I featured a bare heavy-bolter landspeeder, and despite the damage it was doing to the Tyranid player's genestealers, nobody was paying it a blind bit of attention. It actually lasted up until the very last turn, when it was destroyed by a mean Eldar vyper. I cried. :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Deep Striking next to an enemy vehicle with a Multi-Melta armed speeder is a truly evil tactic. They probably won't scatter beyond that critical 12" range and provided they don't, the 2D6 armour penetration doesn't really care what kind of armour its facing...doesn't make much of a difference. If you drop in right behind them, pretty much the only way they can scatter beyond 12" is if they scatter directly away from the vehicle, which means you'll still be able to persecute that vulnerable rear armour facing.
Bye-bye hiding Basilisk or Leman Russ. The multi-melta option is just great for helping to get rid of anything tough or nasty - Carnifexes, Terminators, Wraithlords, you name it. A personal favourite of mine is to hunt lone battlesuits and broadsides - flush them out of cover and get them with hot glue - S8 melta will instant kill them pretty nicely.
Closed Thread