Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking about a new army ...
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jun 2006, 15:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Thinking about a new army ...

I've been getting the urge lately to put my Khorne aside and join the Emjperor's best. I'm used to a very assault oriented army. Now I have some speeders and tac squads with drop pods already so I would only need an extra speeder and the chapies w/ assault squads to finish the army. Does thisa look viable to you? Should the tac squads have true grit and do you think I should take traits for it?
Can it be done for 1500 points? Will this list play well against Nids and Orks ( I figure it can handle tau pretty well and chaos and meqswill be a good battle). Not sure how it will deal with eldar either as their damn seer councils and falcons are *tough on meqs.

HQ
Reclusiarch, BP, frags, terminator honours, jump pack, 122 pts
Reclusiarch, BP, frags, terminator honours, jump pack, 122 pts

ELITES
Assault squad x7, 2x plasma pistol, veteren sergeant w/ powerfist, melta bombs, furious charge, 256 pts
Assault squad x7, 2x plasma pistol, veteren sergeant w/ powerfist, melta bombs, furious charge, 256 pts

TROOPS
Tactical squad x8, meltagun, veteren sergeant w/ powerfist, drop pod, 205 pts
Tactical squad x8, meltagun, veteren sergeant w/ powerfist, drop pod, 205 pts

FAST ATTACK
LST x2, 160 pts
LST x2, 160 pts

Army total: 1486 pts

EDITED
Old 26 Jun 2006, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Thinking about a new army ...

I'd drop a couple Marines from both Tac squads and use the points to balance out your assault squads. With the Chappies attached, they can currently take four wounds before being under half strength, another Marine would increase that to five. You'd have 14 points left after this modification. Alternatively go the other way and strip an Assault Marine from each squad...then spend the points on something shiney.

For 44 points you could equip all your assault troops with meltabombs. Against a fast moving Land Raider, 8 meltabomb attacks, with a chaplain leading the charge is predicted at a 143% probability of scoring a penetrating hit! You don't even want to know what it is against the vulnerable rear armour facing of a stationary Leman Russ...

I think the meltabombs are a solid choice for you because your tactical squads have got tank killing covered and the Tornados (whichever version you're taking) can handle tanks too...your assault squads are the only ones unable to handle armour. It's a big table and you've only got six units, unless you're dedicating the Tornados to tank hunting duty, it'd be nice if the Assault Squads could take care of themselves.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i modified the list - are the points correct.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

have you got the dex, and also i think a rhino or two would help the asault orrientationishness
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
have you got the dex, and also i think a rhino or two would help the asault orrientationishness
He's taking Drop pods, bud. There's no one left to fill the Rhinos.

[hr]

I see what you're doing now...you're counting the sergeants seperately to the numbers in their squads, so the Tactical squads comprise nine men in total, not eight. D'oh! My mistake.

The assault squads are 3 points too expensive, so in total you've got 14 points to spend on other things. If you drop a Marine from each of the tactical squads and a plasma pistol from one of the assault squads you'll have enough to give the 'Trust your Battle-Brothers' trait to your Tactical squads. It'll probably come in handy if they get charged as they step out of their drop pods (a likely occurance) and it'll be a nasty surprise for anyone who thinks he can get the better of them by charging first.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, I've got the dex. I did a quick calculation in my head though as i'm at work. I'll definately consider the trait. It makes sense.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 19:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
He's taking Drop pods, bud. There's no one left to fill the Rhinos.

[hr]

I see what you're doing now...you're counting the sergeants seperately to the numbers in their squads, so the Tactical squads comprise nine men in total, not eight. D'oh! My mistake.

The assault squads are 3 points too expensive, so in total you've got 14 points to spend on other things. If you drop a Marine from each of the tactical squads and a plasma pistol from one of the assault squads you'll have enough to give the 'Trust your Battle-Brothers' trait to your Tactical squads. It'll probably come in handy if they get charged as they step out of their drop pods (a likely occurance) and it'll be a nasty surprise for anyone who thinks he can get the better of them by charging first.

good point tom slap ve quick