BT 1500 list. What should I add?
View Poll Results: What should I add?
Vindicator 2 66.67%
Predator 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default BT 1500 list. What should I add?

Hi there!! I'd like to know your opinion about my list and what to add to arrive to 1500 points.

HQ: 260
Reclusiarch with terminator armour
Champion: accept any challenge, no matter the odds

TROOP: 416
9 initiates (the champion joins them)
with power fist and frag grenades
Rhino with smokes and extra armour
5 initiates with lascannon
5 initiates with lascannon

ELITE: 215
5 assault terminator with furious charge
(4 with claws, 1 with shiled and hammer)
(they use the LRC)

FAST 210
5 assault marines with power weapon and 2 plasma pistols
1 Land speeder tornado

HEAVY 265
Land Raider Crusader

134 points left.
I decided that I want another vehicle for fire support and maybe draw the attention away from the LRC.

I found that often my opponents deploy their squads in cover and very tightly packed, so the Vindicator seems a good idea (large area= hit at least 5 men every turn), but the scatter dice makes all this unpredictable and sometimes risky...

The Predator is better for killing infantry and tanks too, but it isn't that scary. Against lots of tanks it's better, 3 lascannons are much more reliable than a scattering area, and it offers the certainty that there will be no friend-fire...

Which one do you think I should add? Which is the best?

I'll be away for 1-2 days, sorry, I'll answer you as soon as possible

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: BT 1500 list. What should I add?

vindicators look templarish
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're not doing it already, attach the Chaplain to the assault Termies; he's wasted on his own.

I'd say you should spend those points on another five assault marines...a squad of only five won't last long enough to make a difference (especially if you're using plasma pistols...damned temperamental things) and give them all meltabombs. Also upgrade the Sergeants Power Sword to a Power Fist. Such modifications should cost 135pts.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
If you're not doing it already, attach the Chaplain to the assault Termies; he's wasted on his own.

I'd say you should spend those points on another five assault marines...a squad of only five won't last long enough to make a difference (especially if you're using plasma pistols...damned temperamental things) and give them all meltabombs. Also upgrade the Sergeants Power Sword to a Power Fist. Such modifications should cost 135pts.
I'm pretty sure he is, there's room in the LRC for him.

but yes- I'd spend the extra points on more assault marines. don't give them meltabombs though, too expensive, and they will now have a powerfist instead of a powersword- should take care of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloz

I found that often my opponents deploy their squads in cover and very tightly packed
have you considered putting flamers on your assault squad? two flamers to ignore cover save, a bunch of bolt pistol shots, then charge in with frag grenades that the assault squads come with.

maybe a flamer in the initiate squad the EC joins too?

plus, you could make the 5 man squads into 6 man squads with lascannon and plasma gun

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 26 Jun 2006, 12:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Twenty points to give Meltabombs to ten Marines with the mobility to put them to good use is not a lot to pay for the advantages conferred. Four strength 8 attacks makes for some excellent tank killing power, but it's no guarantee. Four strength 8 attacks and nine strength 8, melta attacks is a dead cert though, no matter what armour you're up against!

I'm not to sure about including flamers in your assault squad either. I do it with mine because they're only five men and just don't have the numbers to pull their weight in close combat. But ten assault marines can push out a lot of attacks. If you precede your charge with flamers, more often than not you kill so many enemy soldiers that you suddenly find yourself out of charge range altogether!

I'm on board with extra initiates for the five man squads because even numbers are always better than odd (its not a superstitious thing...it's a 'scoring unit' thing) but I just don't know where you're going to rustle up another forty five points!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwhizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman

I'm pretty sure he is, there's room in the LRC for him.

but yes- I'd spend the extra points on more assault marines. don't give them meltabombs though, too expensive, and they will now have a powerfist instead of a powersword- should take care of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloz

I found that often my opponents deploy their squads in cover and very tightly packed
have you considered putting flamers on your assault squad? two flamers to ignore cover save, a bunch of bolt pistol shots, then charge in with frag grenades that the assault squads come with.

maybe a flamer in the initiate squad the EC joins too?

plus, you could make the 5 man squads into 6 man squads with lascannon and plasma gun
or heavy flamers? dreadnoughts would be good in that case. Deploy them in drop pods
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
or heavy flamers? dreadnoughts would be good in that case. Deploy them in drop pods
Two Dreadnoughts with heavy flamers and drop pods is going to cost anywhere bewteen 290 and 378 points. I think it's a great idea too because Balloz said he wanted another vehicle, and deploying Dreadnoughts up close like that is bound to take the attention away from the Crusader...but he said he's only got 134 points to spend. That's 1 point short of a single bog standard Dreadnought with a drop pod.

Please, if you're going to make such a suggestion, then recommend what he should get rid of too! :-\
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i think the 5 assault marines,but,tom if you have any better ideas, you have more experience than me i think
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Bin the assault squad? I agree, I think it's a great idea. You want more vehicles on the table don't you, Balloz? And you want to take the focus off the LRC. I think two Dreadnoughts drop podding in to cause mayhem in close quarters with heavy flamers and Assault Cannons (or possibly Multi-Meltas?) will do just that! You might even consider investing in the parts for a siege Dreadnought? An inferno cannon will be an excellant choice against those tightly packed infantrymen and even if he runs out of fuel, you've still got an Assault Drill and a Heavy Flamer to kill things with! Pod some Dreadnoughts, cause some carnage and by the time they've been neutralised your Termies will be stepping off the assault ramp and into the melee to mop up the survivors!

You will however have to find another 46 points if you want two of them properly upgraded with extra armour and heavy flamers...56 points if you want a Siege Dreadnought. :-\

Revered Brother Barrin of the Imperial Fists - Big. Yellow. Badly painted, and definately not happy about it. He just wants to burn everything. I want to let him.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for all this help!!

Quote:
Of course I do it. it's awesome!! I thought it was clear. sorry. :P

I generally don't use assault marines vs vehicles, that's why I didn't give them the power fist or meltabombs. I prefer hitting at I4 vs light infantry, so I like the idea of the flamers.

OPTION 1:
I may drop the speeder for 3 assault marines and convert plasma to flamers and a venerable dread with flamer (maybe also smokes and extra armour?).

OPTION 2:
2 dreadnought like you said (still dropping the speeder, the extra points will beef up the assault marines).

OPTION 3:
Add a tank for fire support. Predator or Vindicator? What is your experience with them? What do you suggest?

Quote:
You might even consider investing in the parts for a siege Dreadnought? An inferno cannon will be an excellant choice against those tightly packed infantrymen and even if he runs out of fuel, you've still got an Assault Drill and a Heavy Flamer to kill things with!
Just a question. Where are the rules for siege dread?

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Closed Thread