Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Space Marines: Significant Divergence Army, tear it apart for me?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2006, 17:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1850 Space Marines: Significant Divergence Army, tear it apart for me?

I usually play DH armies but recently had the opportunity to purchase a lot of space marines for dirt cheap, so i figure it's time to make a host list to ally with some radical inquisitors ive been working on. and i thought i'd see what a solid pure SM army would look like and here's what i've come up with.

fluff wise this isnt so much a space marine army as it is a private experiment of a radical inquisitor. these superhumans are to be created via a mixture of xeno/stolen astartes technology, boarderlining on chaos perhaps and definately heretical. also fluffwise this experimental army needs to be monitored in the field, hence the apothecaries. die standing and flesh before steel were chosen to place emphasis on the experimental footsoldier theme and steer away from heavy rumbling vehicles.

this is a variant of the army i had in mind that i would bring out against my ork friend. during deployment only the lone tank, tac squads and landspeeder squadrons will be placed. after deployment, having seen the general battleplan of my opponent, i'll go to town on strategically deploying my infiltrators against his army. the orks i generally play against like to move fast so hosing down some trukks and bikes at the beginning is very important, the landspeeders and praedator are to hunt the fastmovers while the devastators clean up the mess. the scouts will target any spear heads that form while tac squads will attempt to 1) deny enemy of charging when possible) or 2) rapid fire to help blunt spearheads if its possible to finish it off.

1 Master (HQ)
Bolt Pistol; Power Fist; Infilitrate Skill
Terminator Honours
Adamantium Mantle
Frag Grenades

5 Command Squad
Bolt Pistol & CCWep. (x5); Frag Grenades; Infilitrate Skill

1 Apothecary
Bolt Pistol & CCWep.; Frag Grenades; Infilitrate Skill
Narthecium
Reductor

1 Veteran Sergeant
Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Fist; Infilitrate
Skill

---------------------------

5 Devastator Squad (Elites)
Bolter (x2); Heavy Bolter (x3); Infilitrate Skill

1 Sergeant
Bolter

1 Sergeant
Bolter

1 Sergeant
Bolter

-----------------------------

7 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x5); Missile Launcher; Flamer

1 Apothecary
Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist
Narthecium
Reductor

1 Apothecary
Bolt Pistol; Power Fist
Narthecium
Reductor

1 Apothecary
Bolt Pistol; Power Fist
Narthecium
Reductor

6 Scout Squad (Troops)
Sniper Rifle (x6); Infilitrate Skill

1 Sergeant
Sniper Rifle; Infilitrate Skill

-------------------------

Land Speeder Squadron (Fast Attack)

1 LS Tornado
Assault Cannon; Heavy Bolter

1 LS Tornado

1 LS Tornado

----------------------------

Predator 'Destructor' (Heavy Support)
2 Spons. Hvy Bolters; Turret Autocannon
Extra Armour

---------------

Chapter Traits
Purity Above All
Honour Your Wargear

Major Disadvantages
Flesh Over Steel

Minor Disadvantages
Die Standing

---------------

Models in Army: 61

Total Army Cost: 1850

pls lemme know what im doing right/wrong
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1850 Space Marines: Significant Divergence Army, tear it apart for me?

It's a violent Ork-killing machine!

"Set phasers to 'stun'...on second thoughts, sod that; set heavy bolters to 'bloodbath'! Get some, green scum!"

My only concern is with your inexplicable desire to infiltrate as much as possible...with the Heavy Bolter's long reach and the Ork's overwhelming urge to bash Marines over the head with something sharp, are you sure you want them in that close? If you're certain about this course of action then might I suggest you consider dropping a tactical squad so you can buy a couple Rhinos for the other two? You might find you need to get your Tactical squads to the front in a hurry.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: 1850 Space Marines: Significant Divergence Army, tear it apart for me?

thats what assault marines are for if there are a couple in there, as well as bikes
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just because you infiltrate doesn't mean that you have to start 18" away. Heck you could even infiltrate into your own deployment zone. This is actually a nasty tactic, you make it so you can place a heavy squad last allowing you to set up for maximum firing avenues. Bravo, I was wondering how long it would take someone to figure this one out.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
Bravo, I was wondering how long it would take someone to figure this one out.
what are you going on about?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 00:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
Just because you infiltrate doesn't mean that you have to start 18" away. Heck you could even infiltrate into your own deployment zone. This is actually a nasty tactic, you make it so you can place a heavy squad last allowing you to set up for maximum firing avenues. Bravo, I was wondering how long it would take someone to figure this one out.
Of course! That's very clever...if a little sadistic. 54 points to do it, but yeah I think it might just be worth it! Good thinking. I now have complete faith in this list as an Ork-crunching monster...go kill us some Greenskins.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 10:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i don't understand can someone explain it to me please?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
i don't understand can someone explain it to me please?
When most people think of infiltrating, they consider it as means to gain additional ground on the table. What Madeinchina has done is give the infiltrate skill to devastator teams, not to get them closer to the enemy ('cos that would be dangerous with orks), but to give him to opportunity to place them after both sides have been deployed...pretty much anywhere he wants!

Ordinarily, Devastators would deploy first (being a Heavy Support choice) and the enemy would quite likely try to deploy out of sight of all those Heavy Bolters. But because they're infiltrating, Madeinchina can deploy them in relation to where the Orks deploy! Thus turning the tables and giving the Devastators a huge advantage.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ah i see, its clever, I understand now