Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ideas for a Vampire themed Space Marine squad
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Ideas for a Vampire themed Space Marine squad

I watched Underworld and Underworld evolution recently and it's made me want to create a Space Marine chapter based on vampires (the aloof sort, not the ravenous Blood Angel sort). While I know it'd be foolish to start a whole other chapter in addition to my Fists, perhaps I could create a detachment of loyalist Imperial Fist Space Marines who's geneseed has been mutated to give them certain vampiric traits? Obviously, the Imperial Fist geneseed is extremely stable and has shown no signs of mutation so I'd have to devise a reason to explain this mutation. Could I say they're veterans who have recently returned from an independant mission to slay a choas sorcerer? If their geneseed has mutated that much, they must surely be under the judgmental gaze of the inquisition. Would it be too much to say that they are concealed and protected from the Inquisition by their chapter in honour of their accomplishments and sacrifices?

What about the 'Vampires' themselves? If I was to go ahead and make them, what kind of rules should they have? And how could I reflect their innate vampirism in their appearance?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Ideas for a Vampire themed Space Marine squad

In my opinion I would take the special traits See, But Don't be Seen, which allows tactical squads and dev. squads to infiltrate, and that would give the idea of vampires coming out of the shadows. I would also take Be swift as the wind, which allows bike squadrons as elites, you could kind of relate the bikes to vampires on horseback that are quickly rushing in to kill their foes. For the major drawback I would take Aspire to Glory, where you could only have one terminator squad or dreadnought, as I don't see vampires as being very heavily armored.

As for the look using a few Blood Angels parts and Vampire Counts bits could give it that vampire feel, without being too chaos.

Anyone looking for another good forum to use go here...http://warharmmer.proboards46.com/...we're kinda small but hey that's why we need you!

Screw FOF!!! Beware the Anklebiter!!!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think perhaps you've misunderstood me a little here, so I'll reiterate: I'm not looking to make an entire chapter/army with associated fluff I just want to create a detachment of loyalist Imperial Fist Space Marines...one unit; like a Deathwatch team. I'm looking for tips pertaining to modelling, painting, rules and above all else background (fluff). When I say 'traits' I'm just using the word as it is meant literally (as per the dictionary), I'm not referring to Space Marine chapter traits. As fellow Marine players I'm trying to find out what you would consider acceptable/plausible in the world of 40k according to what you know about Space Marines. I think there's a lot of overlooked ties to Vampirism within the Space Marine heritage. What struck me most about 'Underworld' was the heavy importance of 'blood memories'. This is reflected in the Space Marine's ability to absorb an enemy's knowledge and memories by consuming their flesh or drinking their blood.

My brother and I are huge fans of Starlancer, a space age air combat sim. One of the main characters was a fella by the name of Klaus Steiner, Squadron Leader of the 'Vampires' (a top gun Alliance squadron). I've already got an assault squad called the Hellcats (a rogue former special forces squadron) and I've long wanted to make an assault squad called The Flying Tigers (after the player's squadron from the game). But now I think about it, The Vampires, led by brother sergeant Steiner would be very appropriate. So given a basic Imperial Fists assault squad as the template, what kind of background, special rules and colour schemes could I use to really play on the vampiric theme?

P.S. - Good call regarding the Vampire Counts rules...I'll have to see if I can get my hands on an army book.

EDIT - I see now why you thought I wanted to do an entire army like this; it's the title of the thread! D'oh! I forgot to change it...I'll see if I can do it now.

(I changed the title of the thread for you. Stam.)
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Yeah, the only problem modeling them would making sure they don't look chaos. Maybe make them scouts so they aren't heavily armoured, and they can infiltrate.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

i don't think it'd work becausethe inquisition would see it and say i don't like the look of that, and kill them all, the blood angels are already shunned by most imperial forces including the inquisition so your answer for a vampire army is NO!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
i don't think it'd work becausethe inquisition would see it and say i don't like the look of that, and kill them all, the blood angels are already shunned by most imperial forces including the inquisition so your answer for a vampire army is NO!
I think Tom already explained why the unit would be possible. If he wants such a unit he can have one.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Once again...not an army; a squad. I must be such a poor communicator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I'm not looking to make an entire chapter/army with associated fluff I just want to create a detachment of loyalist Imperial Fist Space Marines...one unit; like a Deathwatch team...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
If their geneseed has mutated that much, they must surely be under the judgmental gaze of the inquisition. Would it be too much to say that they are concealed and protected from the Inquisition by their chapter in honour of their accomplishments and sacrifices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam
I think Tom already explained why the unit would be possible. If he wants such a unit he can have one.
Thanks Stam.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 22:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Once again...not an army; a squad. I must be such a poor communicator...
Have you read my last post or have you just scanned the thread and think you've 'got the gist'? :

I didn't think I had the 'gist', so there's no need to snipe. I think it would be a good idea with say Fallen Angels.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 22:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Oh, elves would work well also, they have that thin, scary thing that i think of with vampries. Or are you thinking more beast like things from Van Helsing?

I'll try to find some good base models for you.

EDIT I:
These seem promising, http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...186&GameNav=13

EDIT II:
And these
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...955&GameNav=13

EDIT III:
You could use these wings for winged models.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...781&GameNav=13
Old 22 Jun 2006, 22:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

couldn't you just make your own?

elves heads green stuffed would work, becuase otherwise the heads would be too small