Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting over again
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2006, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting over again

OK after 15 odd years away from 40k i have decided to start over again, much to the dismay of my girlfriend. :
So i've decided to go for space marines maybe salamanders or my own chapter with similar traits. I have read your comments and you like them on my proposed army...

OK so far the list i have got together for a 2,000 pts army is;

Captain, terminator armour, storm bolter, power weapon.

5x Terminators 2x cyclone launchers, tank hunters

1x dreadnought, twin las cannons, missile launchers

1x venerable dreadnought, assault cannon, missile launcher, tank hunter

Tactical squad x8 marines 2x plasma guns, frags

Tactical squad x8 marines 1x multi melta 1x plasma gun, frags

6x Scouts 5x sniper rifle, 1x missile launcher

2x landspeeder tornadoes

Assult squad x9 marines 2x flamers

Devastator squad x6 marines 4x missile launcher

Devastator squad x6 marines 4x heavy bolter

Predator annihilator, heavy bolters, extra armour

I have a few points left over i was thinking of grabbing a couple of rhinos for extra mobility or maybe a jet pack chaplin to join the assult squad, thoughts please?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Starting over again

HQ 1
Saving points:
  • Bin the Cyclone Missile Launchers from your Termie Command Squad. I don't know why people are fixated with these things...maybe it's because they look cool? Just because they're expensive, doesn't make them valuable.
Spending points:
  • Buy two Assault Cannons instead. Against both tanks and infantry, an Assault Cannon is more effective than a Cyclone Missile Launcher and the Storm Bolter that comes with it combined (except aganst really tightly packed infantry)...and that's before you even consider the Tank Hunters skill! Four strength six shots modified to strength seven is definately better than a single strength 9 shot. Aside from conventional armour piercing, the rending ability on it's own is a real tank buster.
+10 pts

HQ 2
Spending points:
  • Get yourself that chaplain you wanted, give him a bolt pistol and a jump pack and attach him to your assault squad.
-106 pts

[hr]

Troops 2
Saving points:
  • This looks to be a fire support unit, so drop the frag grenades.
+8 pts

[hr]

Fast attack 1 + 2
You didn't specify what varient of Tornado you were using. I assumed you'd chosen the ones with a Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer. These are the best choice in my opinion, because Land Speeders are well equipped to get such devastating short ranged weapons up close, fast. The combination of what would appear to be conflicting weapons allow your speeders to threaten both infantry and tanks alike, making them very flexible as the situation demands.

Fast attack 3
Spending points:
  • I like your assault squad...perhaps Meltabombs all round? Combined with the proposed Chaplain, they'd make this squad a real threat to even fast moving vehicles!
-18 pts

[hr]

Heavy Support 1
Spending points:
  • These missile launchers can be effectively upgraded to Lascannons by taking the 'Suffer not the works of heretics' trait.
-18 pts

Heavy Support 3
Saving points:
  • Bin the extra armour. It's not a transport and it doesn't need to be up close to be effective (with side armour like that, a nice stand-off distance is recommended).
+5 pts

[hr]

[size=18pt]Original army list total: 1869[/size]
[size=18pt]Total surplus points: 131[/size]

[size=18pt]Total adjustment: -119[/size]

[center][size=18pt]Army list total after modifications: 1988[/size]
[size=18pt]Surplus points after modifications: 12[/size]

[hr]

Besides my own recommendations, I think it's a fairly solid list.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kektex8 welcome to Tau Online!

And welcome back to 40K! You now you can't leave it. :P

Tom has given you all the advice you need. Your original list already seemed very promising.
Tom has made it even better.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam
Tom has given you all the advice you need. Your original list already seemed very promising.
Tom has made it even better.
Oo...how very flattering, thanks Stam.

I only hope he's right.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

i like the fact you've used plasmas not meltas, its very tempting to use meltas so to prevent the over heat rule. I think bikes go well, the sargent type biker is good, with a power sword
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin
i like the fact you've used plasmas not meltas, its very tempting to use meltas so to prevent the over heat rule. I think bikes go well, the sargent type biker is good, with a power sword
No offense mate, but you can't just tell him what to add. You'll need to recommend what he should discard too so he can afford it. We're all keen to say, 'add another Terminator here' or 'increase the assault squad to eight men' but that's an incomplete recommendation. Everyone's only too happy to recommend the perfect tac squad or the ideal fast attack choice to plug a gap, but very few people seem to be willing to tell people what to sacrifice so they can afford it.

By the way, Kektex8, I agree with Anberlin regarding the Meltaguns. Beforehand you had frags and Meltaguns in that squad which suggested an assaulty role. You should definately put them back in there instead of those plasma guns, because meltaguns are assault weapons...if you fire plasma guns at them instead you'll lose the chance to assault. Plus there's the anti-tank potential they represent.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
No offense mate, but you can't just tell him what to add. You'll need to recommend what he should discard too so he can afford it. We're all keen to say, 'add another Terminator here' or 'increase the assault squad to eight men' but that's an incomplete recommendation. Everyone's only too happy to recommend the perfect tac squad or the ideal fast attack choice to plug a gap, but very few people seem to be willing to tell people what to sacrifice so they can afford it.
Nicely said Tom.

Cookie for your help.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Chocolate chips? Yum.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:

By the way, Kektex8, I agree with Anberlin regarding the Meltaguns. Beforehand you had frags and Meltaguns in that squad which suggested an assaulty role. You should definately put them back in there instead of those plasma guns, because meltaguns are assault weapons...if you fire plasma guns at them instead you'll lose the chance to assault. Plus there's the anti-tank potential they represent.
i'm not telling him i'm reccomending what i think would go well i'm not saying buy this or i will crusify you and put you in a room with a hidden sniper[hr]
Old 22 Jun 2006, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
i'm not saying buy this or i will crusify you and put you in a room with a hidden sniper
LOL! That's funny.

But I think you've missed my point here. I'm not talking about being able to afford this unit or that in terms of Sterling/Dollars, I'm talking about points. People who ask for advice on their army list don't just want to hear 'add a Dreadnought' or 'give your Termies a Land Raider' because that's an incomplete recommendation (as I said before). When you get that kind of advice it leaves you thinking 'and where do I get the points to do that?' I'm not saying it's poor advice or 'who are you to tell him what to buy', all I'm saying is if you want to recommend a bike squadron at 160 odd points then you also need to recommend what his army can afford to do without.
Closed Thread