Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What should my third Heavy Support be...?
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What should my third Heavy Support be...?

I'm having a real hard time deciding what my 3rd heavy support should be for my Blood Templars Space Marine army. My other two heavy supports are; a predator Annihilator with heavy bolter sponsors, and a 8 man devastator team with 4 missile launchers. My chapter traits are Purity above all, and and Suffer not the work of heretics, so those are 4 strength 9 missile launchers.

In my games, I am usually very cautious with my Predator, being my only tank on the battlefield, so it's the first target, and because of the ridiculous side armour of a predator. I use it to do whatever I need a the time of the battle. My devastators on the other hand usually are a cheaper lascanon team who takes out tanks, because I've had bad experiences with frag missiles against mass guard and Eldar guardians. I now just use them as extreme snipers against infantry, taking 4 out every turn, which is good against armies like chaos, but against guard... there are things that can do better. So what should my third support be...? Another Pred, or devastator team? Or a Whirlwind or a vindicator? Both of which I have no experience with or against. I need some help guys!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: What should my third Heavy Support be...?

I say Land raider. The crusader variant is awsome. They may cost tons of points (250 for land raider and 265 for crusader) but they are well worth it. Seeing that i am black templars i do a kinda weird thing and have 2 crusaders.
Only black templars can have more than 1 crusader but every other chapter can have 1 only but as many normal LRs as they like.

landraiders have the most armor of any tank in the whole game (14 on each side) so alot of stuff has trouble hurting them. A good tactic to use if u are on the offensive is to load up the crusader with 8 terminators armed for CC(I prefer spending 15 more points on the crusader because it comes with extra space to transport soldiers, it can hold 15 space marines and 8 termniators where as the normal LR can hold 10 space marines and 5 terminators) and ride straight into an enemy squad and unload all the terminators out. It may seem dangerous but it can really destroy whole squads of enemys with only losing a few terminators.

If u dont have 8 terminators u can house a Techmarine inside the tank with the terminators to repair the Tank whenever it gets immoblished or a weapon is destroyed. If ure like me and have a squad of 5 terminators for close combat put them in the LR and load in a techmarine and 3 servitors to guard the techmarine while he goes to work.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes a Land raider would be nice, and I have thought about it, but I would probably be using the LR for Tank Hunting, as my opponents are Tau, Eldar, And Guard, and all of us are pretty much tank happy, lol. In a normal game, You see 2 Leman Russ's (and he plans on buying a demolisher), 2 HammerHeads, and A loaded up Eldar Fire Prism (seriously, Loaded he has the least amount of points, so he buys all the upgrades; Spirt stone Holo field, and the skimmer rules makes his tank a nuisance to take down.) I of course have what I said above; A Pred Annihilator, and a Cheaper version of a 4 lascannon devastator team (besides I think The missiles look cooler, or at least I made them look cooler).

But I was thinking that I could take the Land raider as a transport choice, right... and then maybe have another Pred, or a Vindicator. For some reason I'm leaning towards the vindicator, because it sounds awesome. But I hate Preds having 11 side armour, and the vindicator is in the same boat... maybe the most armoured tank in the game is a good choice... lol
Old 19 Jun 2006, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Bear in mind that a lot of the stuff Spaghetios just told you is, frankly, nonsense (sorry, bud, but it is...pick up the rule book some time).
  • Marines can take as many Land Raider Crusaders as they like (within the normal constraints of force organisation). See page 40 of Codex: Space Marines...see? No limitations on the number you may take.
  • Transports can only transport one unit at a time, irrespective of surplus transport capacity (See page 62 of the rulebook).
  • Land Raider Crusaders cannot transport 8 Terminators and 15 power armoured Marines, it can transport 8 Terminators or 15 power armoured Marines. Not both (See page 40 of Codex: Space Marines - Transport). What do you think it is? The Tardis?

As for your remaining heavy support choice, it depends very much on your play style. If you've already got a Predator acting as a tank hunter then I'd take a Vindicator. At the moment, your Predator is taking all the heat...you need some extra vehicles out there to take some of the flak. If you take a Land Raider (they are good...especially the Prometheus) then it needs to be selected with some specific purpose in mind.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yea sorry about that. The 8 terminators and 15 space marines was a typo, i meant to say Or but i typed this kinda fast. I always did believe that only one unit can be in a LR at a time but i was at GW last weekend and the guy behind the counter told me i could put my tech marine and my terminators in the LR at the same time but so i was stupid and believed him then cause some1 who worked for GW said it. But yea i was wrong with the 1 crusader per army.I really couldnt read where it says Space marines besides black templars can ave as many as they want tho because i have the Black templars codex. Not the normal codex
Old 19 Jun 2006, 22:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Really? A Games Workshop staff member told you that? Shame on him...he should know better. Do be sure to go back with a copy of the rulebook and hit him with it won't you?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 00:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually the techmarine can join the termies and then enter the land raider crusader. He just can't do it if he bought servitors (unless somehow they all are killed). Its the same as if you were talking about a chaplain or a librarian.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm...I don't know about that. The unit entry for the Terminator Command Squad reads: Terminator Command Squads may only have characters or other models attached to them if these models are equipped with Terminator armour. If that is so for Terminator Command Squads then logically, shouldn't it extend to normal Terminator squads?

If not then have at it! Give him a servo harness too, he'll be a close combat monster! Just don't expect him to repair anything without servitors.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yea lol, I wouldnt use a Tech w/o a harness. i also normally use 3-4 Servitors
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'If that is so for Terminator Command Squads then logically, shouldn't it extend to normal Terminator squads?'

No, because its a totally different unit entry. One which is bought to specifically go with the character you get them with.

An independant Techmarine can join a unit of Termies in a Land Raider just as an Ethereal can join a squad of Fire Warriors in a Devilfish or a Chaos Lord can join a squad of Chaos Marines in a Rhino.

You could just go for another Pred that is loaded out exactly the same for your other HS choice. As has been mentioned, Vindicators aren't a bad idea either.